Buddy's first cook since the conversion

Bill

TVWBB Super Fan
This is my first cook w/all the mods in place on “Buddy”. My previously OTS Budlight kettle.
Nothing fancy, just some taters, chicken breasts and a random piece of pork tossed in.

Coals heating up in the chimney. First time using a weber chimney and it is much better than the off-brand I have been using.

Coals in, taters goin on. Just plain taters rubbed w/a bit of olive oil.

Taters moved, chicken breasts on. Breasts were dusted w/Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub (thanks again Dan!).

Everything getting jiggy. At the 3 o'clock position is a random scrap of pork I had from a mixed package from the store. It was an odd ball, so I tossed it on. Everything except for the spuds has now been basted w/HEB “Texas Style” BBQ sauce. It's similar to Rudy's sauce if you've had it.

Chicken and spuds coming off. Pork came off a few min later(no pic as it's for snacking over the next few days).

Mashed the spuds up(char skin on) with some shredded cheese and butter. Left the char skin on gave it a nice smokey flavor. Here's your plate.

This is the second time I've done mashed taters using the grill and I must say I'm hooked. Buddy performed flawlessly and for those that don't have one, I highly recommend getting a lid holder. So much easier/quicker to just slide the lid over than to search for the tab and hang on the rim.

That's all for now, but there will be more cooks to come.

Fantastic looking BBQ chicken dinner. You even charred the sauce a little just like it should be!!!

thanks all! very happy w/Buddy. took a lift or three to remind myself that the lid holder was there. after that, not sure how I lived w/o it. thermo worked great. even though it was pricey to purchase and convert, i'm glad I did it. I've got a great cooker that is also, imo, unique.

thanks andy and russ and everyone else for your good words.

with all the cooks/pics..etc that are posted here, I get a kick out of my side item taking the show on this cook.
it was almost an afterthought. needed a side for the chicken.
had some spuds sittin around. had butter and cheese in fridge. roasted spuds, put spuds in bowl, added cheese and butter, mashed until mixed well, then served.
guess this just proves one of my beliefs that you don't have to get fancy to be great.

Back