Broilmaster Grills

Jon I'm talking about Broil king. They sell at Lowes but also at many grill specialty stores. I've only seen broil master at my local grill specialty store. The specialty store in my area sells broil king, broil master, and weber.

Both are made in the USA. Broil master grills are more expensive.

It is the broil king grills that make extensive use of magnetic SS.

Thanks, Greg! Like I said, I pretty much expect that. Their grills do look decent and have some nice features. Maybe a buyer would be better off with one of the black ones instead of all that stainless on the hood, etc. Still at least a worthy Weber competitor compared to the chinajunk at the big box stores.

I hope that Broilmaster uses high grade stainless. Looking at their website that was the impression I got, but I don't think I saw where they specifically affirm this. For a kind of homely grill at a very high price, they need to hit the quality construction part out of the park.

I was simply trying to point out that there are MANY grades of VERY high quality 400 series stainless that even though "magnetic" are also extremely high quality. This was a fact pointed out to me by my dad who knows a lot about this stuff because he used to work in the business. He was a partner in a company that made formed metal products and also the finishing for those products (plating, painting, polishing, etc) and in a conversation one day after I had picked up my Wolf I was extolling it's virtuous non magnetic SS construction and he set me straight that, that alone did not = highest quality SS and that they sold MANY items in magnetic 400 series SS that did not corrode at all and was every bit the quality of 300 series. Case in point. Check out a Henckels or Wustdorf knife. They are stainless (very much so just ask how many times I forget to clean mine) and even if left with VERY corrosive residue do not show a hint of corrosion. This is just one example and it came to mind quickly. But, from what I have learned from my dad I know not all SS is what you think

I agree Larry, I just think that 304 being one of the very higher quality versions and the fact that is easily differentiated by being non-magnetic makes it the easy target when looking for the higher quality versions.

Also, 304 Stainless is considered a "FOOD GRADE" version of stainless steel, which is probably why it is used in the cooking grates. As you stated, other versions of stainless may actually be much better suited to the other parts of a grill that do not contact the food.

Actually again 304 is not the only product meant for food grade or all those chefs with magnetic knife holders would be outta luck LOL

Good points Bruce and Larry. I'm not saying ALL magnetic stainless is bad. But I think a lot of it is. I've witnessed it firsthand on several cheaper grills I've had. I know others have had the same issues. And I think in general almost ALL non magnetic stainless is pretty good if it's thick and well made. Rcplanebuyer can use any SS he wants and he chooses 300 SS. That's pretty telling to me.

I am saying I wouldn't trust the stainless on the broil king grills based on what I was told by my grilling center who actually sell those grills. They said it was "high maintenance " stainless that wouldn't look very good after a few years no matter how clean you kept it.

The reason he uses that one is it's more malleable and easy to weld i addition to being a quality graded product. I guess some of the other grades are too brittle and don't weld or form well from what my dad has told me.

It's not cheaper really. If you're going after the same corrosion resistance I am sure whether 400 series or 300 series the costs are similar. I am sure as I mentioned earlier there are other characteristics that may make one grade more desirable over the other regardless of pricing

Whatever, I am going off solid information I learned from my dad who had to deal daily with the commodity cost of the product as well as other costs in the business he actually was in. So honestly I am done arguing with you on this point. You seem to have a fixation that if a magnet sticks to it it's junk which could NOT be further from the truth.
Do whatever and believe whatever makes you happy. I'm done with this

I found that Rivers Edge outfit online. It looks like their Flavorizer bars are built with 16 ga stainless, but it doesn't say what grade. I also see the SS rod cooking grates which I would never buy. They are not even as thick of rods as the weber or other aftermarket grates which are 7mm. Theirs are less than that and have four cross member rods which I wouldn't like. I guess they do that to make up to make the smaller rod grates sturdier.

Regardless of what type of stainless they are using, I wouldn't buy the grates, but I would consider the flavo bars.

https://rivers-edge-products.com/shop/stainless-replacement-cooking-grates-pair-7527-heavy-duty/

That's fine Larry. Whatever. I'll just continue to believe what is easily available to read in numerous articles on the subject and even what rcplanebuyer writes in the descriptions of his products in eBay. But I totally understand your believing the otherwise based on conversations with your father.

And yes I think the magnet test IS valid. At the very least it's a good starting point. Non magnetic stainless is pretty much always good quality. If it's thick and substantial. I'm sure you are correct that there is some quality magnetic stainless. But obviously a lot of it is junk. So why take the chance?

Last edited:
Yep, it's kinduva dead horse and beating it won't make it run. The old saying goes "don't confuse me with the facts.............................." Dad dealt with SS as a commodity every day for the last 25 years of his working life (other metals too) and schooled me with a lot of knowledge I didn't know re grades, why a certain one was used, corrosion resistance, purpose of the type and so on. If all you're gonna do is walk into Home Depot and stick a magnet on something, yes there is a point to it but it's NOT the ONLY point. Beside, one has to wonder what's the difference if the top or side tables are 304 (or whatever mix your heart desires) if the fire box and internals simply corrode away?
Like I said I would much rather have a well made grill out of 430 than a cheaply made one out of 304 or whatever. I mean big wuup de doo. The magnet didn't stick on the side table..............what's the point unless the whole thing is solidly made of the stuff it's a needless expense for nothing functional

Not to hijack the thread back to its original topic ( :) ) but... the last gas grill I owned, probably 20 years ago, was a Broilmaster I bought to replace a Jacuzzi grill that finally gave up the ghost after being rehabbed about four times. It was pedestal mounted on our deck, and connected to the natural gas line. I thought the quality was very high, and I suspect it is still cooking away unless the people who bought our house did something stupid (like leaving it running wide open overnight, which I inadvertently did to the Jacuzzi).

Not to hijack the thread back to its original topic ( :) ) but... the last gas grill I owned, probably 20 years ago, was a Broilmaster I bought to replace a Jacuzzi grill that finally gave up the ghost after being rehabbed about four times. It was pedestal mounted on our deck, and connected to the natural gas line. I thought the quality was very high, and I suspect it is still cooking away unless the people who bought our house did something stupid (like leaving it running wide open overnight, which I inadvertently did to the Jacuzzi).

Thank, Larry! It is nice to hear from an actual user of the Broilmaster. :)

I am keeping my eyes open hoping someone will dump one cheap not knowing what they have. There was one on OfferUp in Connecticut asking only $100. They listed it under OfferUp’s new shipping program, but when I bid the asking price they refused to ship. I think the OfferUp shipping program has sellers confused. I will keep watching. The $500 one listed at the beginning of the thread appears to have a lot going for it, but $500 is way out of my range for an experiment.

Nice and informative article Bruce. And one that's specific to grills and SS. That's pretty much exactly what I've been told. Thanks for posting it.

I found that Rivers Edge outfit online. It looks like their Flavorizer bars are built with 16 ga stainless, but it doesn't say what grade. I also see the SS rod cooking grates which I would never buy. They are not even as thick of rods as the weber or other aftermarket grates which are 7mm. Theirs are less than that and have four cross member rods which I wouldn't like. I guess they do that to make up to make the smaller rod grates sturdier.

Regardless of what type of stainless they are using, I wouldn't buy the grates, but I would consider the flavo bars.

https://rivers-edge-products.com/shop/stainless-replacement-cooking-grates-pair-7527-heavy-duty/

I've used their 16-gauge flavorizer bars on a flip grill. Other than having sharp edges (which they've since fixed), they were pretty nice.

I also have their stainless warming rack on 2 of my keeper grills.

Back