Broilmaster Grills

For giggles and grins I know this thread started with BroilMaster grills so I happened across a little "grill ****" from my BM to kinda show how well it did
2u7m4yh.jpg

Chicken and potatoes
Some others too. Showing both the BM and the Wolf
33048xi.jpg

wl6bzr.jpg

ejy0b5.jpg

2rftz4m.jpg

15xc8z.jpg

2a6o9c7.jpg

The pizza photos is one of the best things the Wolf does. Using the IR rotisserie burner along with the lower burners on very low and just a hint of added wood smoke and you get pizza that tastes and smells like you were sitting in a Trattoria in Italy. It's amazing

Last edited:
For giggles and grins I know this thread started with BroilMaster grills so I happened across a little "grill ****" from my BM to kinda show how well it did
2u7m4yh.jpg

Chicken and potatoes
Some others too. Showing both the BM and the Wolf
33048xi.jpg

wl6bzr.jpg

ejy0b5.jpg

2rftz4m.jpg

15xc8z.jpg

2a6o9c7.jpg

The pizza photos is one of the best things the Wolf does. Using the IR rotisserie burner along with the lower burners on very low and just a hint of added wood smoke and you get pizza that tastes and smells like you were sitting in a Trattoria in Italy. It's amazing

Larry,

That pizza sure looks and sounds good;). As a part-Scandinavian mixed up mutt, I will take your Italian word for how it tastes!

I wish you had the AFTER picture of those steaks on the Broilmaster. What would you say about the stainless parts on the Broilmaster? No one has yet commented on the quality of their internals. It is a little disconcerting to see old 70's-style ceramic briquettes, but the proof is in the pudding or I guess in this case the steaks. If it works great and lasts a decent amount of time, who is to say what material to use between the burners and grates. I know I would love to have a try on one. If I was rich I would buy the one I showed at the beginning of this post, but I will have to keep my eyes open for someone dumping something cheap that they don't really understand. With all that cast aluminum, it looks to me like one of these grills would be easy to bring back to a new look. Parts appear readily available and though not cheap not as bad as I would expect.

Great idea on the pizza. Assuming I should be able to achieve similar results with my Summit 470, which has both the IR and the smoker box? Worth a try!

Great idea on the pizza. Assuming I should be able to achieve similar results with my Summit 470, which has both the IR and the smoker box? Worth a try!

Yes that IR burner helps a lot. With the looser grate spacing it may be a little harder to handle but it should work. In my case the large interior of the Wolf is an outstanding resource. Also the burners on the Wolf have better range than I see on Weber. Put s little hardwood (oak is great) on that smoker box. Not a lot though. You want just a tiny kiss of smoke not actual "smoke". And you get a flavor just like a wood fired oven. You have to play a bit with the bottom burners but, they should all be same setting. Don't bother with the sear burner though. Just the main burners
As for the "quality" of the stainless on the BM I never bothered to check.

Our local outdoor center right on my way home from work. Stopped in today and took a closer look at the broilmaster line. Those things are built like tanks. I can see them lasting a lifetime and more.

One slight turnoff for me is the ceramic briquettes. I've had those before and I prefer the flavorizors. To me those are much easier to clean and less maintenance.

Regarding the stainless it's all 304 stainless.The sales person volunteered that when I was looking at the grill. And it's not magnetic on the grates, control panel, base, etc.

Really nice grill But I'm going to stick with vintage webers.

Our local outdoor center right on my way home from work. Stopped in today and took a closer look at the broilmaster line. Those things are built like tanks. I can see them lasting a lifetime and more.

One slight turnoff for me is the ceramic briquettes. I've had those before and I prefer the flavorizors. To me those are much easier to clean and less maintenance.

Regarding the stainless it's all 304 stainless.The sales person volunteered that when I was looking at the grill. And it's not magnetic on the grates, control panel, base, etc.

Really nice grill But I'm going to stick with vintage webers.

Greg,
Thanks so much for the in person look and report. I have not seen one of these myself and was especially curious about the stainless. They are really homely and the ceramic briquettes definitely look 1970’s to me. I do see they have an alternative ceramic flat pieces with holes that creates a sort of infrared effect. What I really like is the truly made in USA simple high quality construction. These virtues sound a lot like what we all like about the old Weber’s, maybe a little on steroids;)!

I think one of these would be easy to make look like new in a restoration, so I am keeping my eyes open for one someone is dumping cheap not knowing what they have. I certainly don’t need any more grills, but I would love to try one:cool: Based on Larry’s experience sounds like a powerful hot grilling machine that can also double down as a slow cook bbq grill if you want it to. Still, I will always be a Weber guy. That just doesn’t stop me from wanting to try other ones:rolleyes:!

Last edited:
The ceramic briquettes actually work FAR better than you think. In some ways even better than flavorizer bars. They can absorb a tremendous amount of heat unlike a piece of sheet metal, similar to cast iron. They then can release that heat over a very long time. Yes they do degrade over many years of use but they do hold up quite well. Another nice thing is they tend to burn up the drippings far more effectively so when you clean the interior of the grill it's mostly just ash you can shop vac out unlike the Weber where you have thick grease and carbon to scrape out, Also the body of the grill is made out of cast aluminum that is about 1/3rd thicker and heavier than even an old Weber. This also holds a lot of heat and makes for quality cooking. Really the only thing that makes them come up a little "short" is the lack of a rotisserie burner and a 3rd main burner to make it a little more versatile but really it is amazing how much you CAN do with something so simply designed and built

Jon I know what you mean. I'm kind of curious about all the other higher end/premium grill brands like broilmaster, broil king, Napoleon, etc too.

Too bad you don't live near me. There's one in CL here for $100. Might be a good deal? See below. Probably great grills but the design and look just don't really appeal to me.

I do like the look of broil king and I like that they are made in the usa. But the salesperson at our outdoor center reiterated they just aren't up to par with other premium grills. She said the return rate was fairly high and some of the materials like the stainless were "second rate".

https://springfield.craigslist.org/for/d/broilmaster-gas-grill/6560446646.html

Greg,
Wow! That one is pretty unusual going back all the way to 1974!

I will always be a Weber guy, but it would be really cool to try one of these somewhat obscure Broilmaster grills. It seems so much like my librarian joke at the beginning of this thread;).

I found a newer one for a good deal that I am trying to convince the seller to consider disassembling and shipping. I can’t go too crazy, so it will depend if they are willing and the total price makes sense. The one listed about 45 minutes from me that I referenced in my first post looks like a great one, but that seller does know what he has, so I don’t see him coming way down. These grills are so homely that I suspect that some are sold pretty cheap by people who figure they are just an old out of style grill.

Jon I know what you mean. I'm kind of curious about all the other higher end/premium grill brands like broilmaster, broil king, Napoleon, etc too.

Too bad you don't live near me. There's one in CL here for $100. Might be a good deal? See below. Probably great grills but the design and look just don't really appeal to me.

I do like the look of broil king and I like that they are made in the usa. But the salesperson at our outdoor center reiterated they just aren't up to par with other premium grills. She said the return rate was fairly high and some of the materials like the stainless were "second rate".

https://springfield.craigslist.org/for/d/broilmaster-gas-grill/6560446646.html

That is a REALLY old one. Jon those grills go all the way back to the early 60's. Weber was pretty late to the gas grill bandwagon

Back