BRITU, First Time For Father's Day...another epic smoke=:-)

Jake Wilson

TVWBB Fan
Hello Borg, Jake here...It's been a while since I last logged in to swap tires and kick lies which you=:) I've done the 321 Method so many times, and have enjoyed them but we were in Wal-mart the other day and found a few back rib racks and decided to get them, despite them being the pre-infused variety, with around 8% IIRC. I also bought a packer brisket with a use by date of 7/8/15?

So I had no idea how I was going to smoke the ribs, until I looked on Chris's site and started reading BRITU. I must have re-read that article 6 times and although I had most of the rub ingredients on hand, I needed Accent plus I didn't have the right smoke wood, so that meant a trip to the grocery. First grocer didn't have the smoke wood so onto the 2nd which did.
BTW, I just bought $400 worth of oak firewood (1/2 of it is still in my trailer) and not one stick of white oak...it's all live (red) oak

18887714708_b5799d0435_c.jpg
[/url]WP_20150621_004.jpg by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Before we left to go shopping, I took both cryovac rib packets out to get warm. Oh!, and the night before I made up the rub, sans Accent, including spreading the brown sugar out on a sheet to dry

So I started the fire using two chimneys, both lit, but never had this happen

18454081973_3056bcbb3f_c.jpg
[/url]My Weber Charcoal Chimeny is on Fire! by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

I lit both the Weber chimenys in my performer, which I've done plenty of times before, with extinguished coal next to the chimneys...guess it was hot outside, as the unlit coals caught on fire too?=:)

here's the smoke wood I used...2 chunks of cherry (on the left) and 4 chunks white oak on the right

19069162162_e61f0e442e_c.jpg
[/url]Smoke Wood for BRITU by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

warming up in the pit-

18454094883_b5f90784d3_c.jpg
[/url]Readying my pit for BRITU by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

I did this cook in an 18.5 WSM BTW....two lit chimneys and about 3 lbs. of used/extinguished charcoal underneath the lit

the racks cut in half after I dusted them w/the rub

18454065133_e64e5e0899_c.jpg
[/url]Bought a few slabs of back ribs by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

FWIW, I never got around to adding the Accent to my rub before dusting so I just lightly applied the Accent afterwards, and I do mean lightly...a little goes a long way IMO, as I'm not a huge fan of MSG yet I was wanting to follow this recipe

The ribs went into a rack and I think this is the Brinkman rack designed to fit into a 14.5 WSM, and I'll say this, this rack is tight for 4 lb. baby backs. Before I forget, these ribs at this point went for 3 hours at around 225 degrees f. I took the ribs out to move them for even smoking

19078061511_39a82e2890_c.jpg
[/url]3 hours in by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

and here they are 5 + hours altogether

19048586346_10bfbc9c57_c.jpg
[/url]Doing the Tear Test +, checking meat temp by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

No plating pics...I finished these up after midnight...wifey had already gone to bed. I cut them up w/o saucing them to cool then I stuck them into two gallon baggies for the fridge

We ate some yesterday. although I would consider them tasting good. they would have been tons better had I sauced them right after they came out of the pit. I ate some of the burnt ends along with the house pup, and yes they had a salty tang Chris said they would before saucing. I am looking forward to trying these again, but I'll start the pit earlier, and have everything at hand so I don't have to make a run, right before the cook should start

Looks like you had an eventful day! Other than lighting your chimney handle on fire, it appears you followed the process well. :)

Ribs look tasty. I gotta admire your dedication to forum posting where your belonging is on fire and you stop to take a picture before remedying it.

Wow that's a boat load of coals and wood chunks in your WSM. So you got all your coals white before going forward with the cook, or are some of the coals previously partially burned, thus white?

Nice looking cook

Looks like you had an eventful day! Other than lighting your chimney handle on fire, it appears you followed the process well. :)

I had a few other snags but nothing I couldn't over come like when I set the 18.5" WSM middle section on the bottom and all the fat from the chicken I've been hanging off the Weber Expandable rack (since early spring) caught on fire...bad part there, I had the grill set in place with my thermometer probe clipped on, and I thought the flames licking around my probe wire was going to burn it up

At first the transmitter showed HHH, so I unplugged it thinking it was shot, then plugging it in later hoping I was wrong, I found out I was and it was working. I may not have had the connector all the way into the transmitter, then the receiver wasn't showing the temps at all...

I found the instructions for it and re-set the transmitter after turning the receiver off then back on, and all was fine

15508572703_35b99e5433_c.jpg
[/url]Different view by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lately, I brine four birds at a time, so have 8 chicken halves hanging off this rack and it gets pretty crowded in there. I'm doing this chicken cook twice a week, for my house dog. Under the vet's orders, we've had to change her diet for awhile and I'm cooking her chicken, so the 18.5 WSM is seeing a lot of chicken fat go through it

I don't see this fat go up in flames as normally when I'm doing the birds, I have the middle section off the bottom, hang the birds then set the middle onto the bottom, then the top goes on, no drama, but for this rib cook I had quite a fire built before the center section ever went on

Obviously the birds in this photo are over done...this is an older pic and I think what happened, some of the halves were done, I removed them and let the others continue cooking, but let them go too far, as evidenced by the skin tearing on the one leg and the breast on another dry up quite a bit

Nice looking ribs Jake! Love to have that load of oak.

Hey Cliff!, the tree man down the road from us charges $200 for the wood you see here, and that's with me dropping the trailer off, he just fills it, then I go home and stack it. We bought two trailers full this past week...I've yet to stack this wood...too much hot mon!

18889219999_f91b89689b_c.jpg
[/url]Day before Father's Day by Jake Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

this was last Saturday's temps. it's cooled off a little since then, but not much

Look good from here!
I bet you are ok with smoking wood, now!

that red oak is good smoke wood but my wife doesn't like it, says it's too strong for her, so I end up buying big bags of apple wood chunks from Home Depot, and smoke with apple most of the time

Ribs look tasty. I gotta admire your dedication to forum posting where your belonging is on fire and you stop to take a picture before remedying it.

yeah well I wasn't going to let that picture get away=:)

Ribs look awesome.

thanks Barb!, they were/are good...we're still eating them=:)

Wow that's a boat load of coals and wood chunks in your WSM. So you got all your coals white before going forward with the cook, or are some of the coals previously partially burned, thus white?

Nice looking cook

Chuck, I let the wood ash over very well...in fact, I let it get white (the wood chunks) before ever setting the middle section on the fire pit, then I let it burn for another hour before the ribs went on. Also, I had to re-arrange the wood chunks so none were in the center, so as not to interfere with the water bowl bottom. I basically made a circle ring around the circumference of the coal ring

Ribs look great, nice wood pile you got there too.

thanks Russ! Lots of oak grows around here as we get 50" of rain per year on average, and then we have a tree man that lives a mile away from us so it's a short hop over to his place for our winter fire wood. We have enough trees on our property we could go into the woods and recover, but I find it a lot easier to buy wood from him

Ribs look delicious

Thanks Craig!...we're enjoying them still, but as mentioned, I didn't have time to sauce them the night they finished as it was after midnight. Re-heating them the next day then saucing them just isn't the same as eating them fresh from the pit, but it still beats store bought any day of the week=:) Next cook I'm starting earlier

Greatlooking ribs Jake.

Thanks JR, have you tried your hand at emulating BRITU yet? If not, have a go, it's a fun recipe to put together

http://virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-by-mike-scrutchfield.html

Nice looking cook

~~~I misread your question Chuck...yeah, all the coals you see were new Kingsford coals that were lit up in the two Weber Chimneys in a previous pic, now there was about 3 pounds of salvaged coals underneath the coals you see here, but the coals you are looking at, they got white hot before taking that pic

I think what happened, I let the coals go a long time in the Weber Chimneys, but then too, the lessor done coals are on top of the chimney, then when I dumped the chimneys, the hotter whiter coals from the bottom end up on top and that is what you see

Back