Brisket to fast?

Mark D. Anderson

TVWBB Member
I'm doing an overnight brisket. It's about 14 pounds and I started it at 11 PM. It's 3:30 AM now and the thing is already up to 153. (OK I guess with the 40-140-4 thing, right?)

I'm betting a stall is coming, but I'm not planning on dinner until 5 PM today. Is thing going too fast? Do I have the probe in the wrong place?

What do I do if this thing gets done super early?

Some care to talk me down?

Thanks!

Mark

Stalls usually occur around 165. It will be done well before the 5 PM. Just double wrap it in HD foil. Get a beverage cooler and rinse it out with hot water, place bath towels int ehre and then place the wrapped brisket in the cooler. You can keep it that way for hours

Ok, thanks guys. It's 9-1/2 hours into it now and it's at 187. I'm syurprised it's going so fast. But the cooler idea is just what I needed. Thanks!

How long can I keep it in there?

You can leave it in there until the temp drops to 140. Probe should be in the thickest part of the flat. 5 to 6 hours is usually the max. Did you wrap it? That did cook fast. If you take all the steps Bill says it will hold, but hopefully you don't have to take it off until 11 or 12.

I've got about an hour and a half until 11 and it's at 197. So here's hoping...

If it drops below 140 in the cooler, can I keep it warm in the oven or something?

Thanks for your assistance, guys. And for not commenting on my middle of the night spelling errors.

At this point, I would probe for tenderness and not rely only on temp. Once it probes tender, that is the time to take of the smoker. Enjoy that bad boy.

At this point, I would probe for tenderness and not rely only on temp. Once it probes tender, that is the time to take of the smoker. Enjoy that bad boy.

Exactly this. Don't get too hung up on time and temperature. Briskets defy all reason. Each one has it's own personality and cooks differently. Impossible to cook to a schedule - a brisket is done when it feels like being done.

Also it's a good idea to vent the brisket to stop it from cooking before you put it in the cooler. Maybe 15 minutes in your case. Some say until it drops to 170. Since you are trying to stretch I'm suggesting less time. I think you'll still be OK but I have no experience holding that long.

The idea of venting after before putting into the cooler is to stop carry over cooking. If you don't vent for a while, carry over can cause the brisket to overcook. That is not what you want. Cooling to 170* is a good place to bring it to before double wrapping and placing in the cooler. Prewarming the cooler and having enough towels to wrap will be your key. You should be fine using this approach. I can tell you that the last brisket I did on July2 was still to hot to hold without gloves 4 hours later. If fact I had the last of the leftovers for lunch yesterday and told my wife we need to do another.

The idea of venting after before putting into the cooler is to stop carry over cooking. If you don't vent for a while, carry over can cause the brisket to overcook. That is not what you want. Cooling to 170* is a good place to bring it to before double wrapping and placing in the cooler. Prewarming the cooler and having enough towels to wrap will be your key. You should be fine using this approach. I can tell you that the last brisket I did on July2 was still to hot to hold without gloves 4 hours later. If fact I had the last of the leftovers for lunch yesterday and told my wife we need to do another.

On my second attempt at brisket I hit the right temp where my probe went in like soft butter, but then I wrapped it and put it in the cooler right away with towels for 5 hours. When I finally ate it I found it was overcooked. I am now doing my third attempt and will let it rest to 170 first. I also have a 14 pound brisket, and it has been 12 hours now and finally just got past the stall at 158. Now at 162. I decided not to wrap and instead just slept through the stall.

I suppose a 14 pounder could take up to 15 hours or so? Also, when letting it rest, do you have it wrapped loosely in foil or anything, or just leave it open on the counter.

1st attempt:undercooked.
2nd attempt: overcooked.
3rd attempt: ??

Last edited:
Grant, you got good advice here from Dustin, Bob and the boys. Venting to 170-ish is important. A good long rest is super important. I think you will be pleased with the result.

Jeff

Grant, as for resting to 170*, I would have it in foil with the top open. However, I always foil my briskets at the stall so they are already foiled and when I take them off the smoker, I sit them on a foil pan and open the foil so it can rest. One reason I set it in a foil pan, is that if the aluminum foil tears, it does not make a mess and I save the juices for later. Same applies after I take it out of the cooler so I can save any juices that are in the foil. Makes a great gravy or au jus to put on the meat when serving. Good Luck!!

Grant, as for resting to 170*, I would have it in foil with the top open. However, I always foil my briskets at the stall so they are already foiled and when I take them off the smoker, I sit them on a foil pan and open the foil so it can rest. One reason I set it in a foil pan, is that if the aluminum foil tears, it does not make a mess and I save the juices for later. Same applies after I take it out of the cooler so I can save any juices that are in the foil. Makes a great gravy or au jus to put on the meat when serving. Good Luck!!

Thanks! 16 hours and counting for this brisket. Internal temp says 198. I tested with probe. At first it seems to go in easy but then is a struggle to push in further. I will wait till it gets to about 203 before I try again.

I hope the briskets worked out!

I think mine came out fairly well. Wasn't undercooked. Either cooked right or overcooked again. The truth is, I am not sure what perfect brisket tastes like but it tasted good. My internal probe that is stuck in the flat always seems about 5 degrees lower than my instant thermometer. Probe read 201, and thermometer read 206 when I took it off. Probe went in easily.

I always find it more dry after the first day and after it has been in the fridge. Had a huge point so a lot of bbq brisket sandwiches using the chopped point.

Grant, don't worry about the final temp. What really matters is probe for tenderness. Once it is probe tender pull it off the smoker and if you foiled, open the top of the foil to stop the carry over cooking. If you don't foil, put it on a plate or cutting board and loosely tent with aluminum foil. After it cools to 170* tightly wrap in foil and wrap again. Then put in a cooler wrapped in towels for a few hours. It will be great. Same apply's to pork butt. The key is enjoy the process. It is supposed to be fun.

Back