Brisket Test: Prime vs. Choice vs. Select | Mad Scientist BBQ

No it's true I couldn't get 5150. I'm just making the point they hold value. Some of it I'll never recover. That's fine. The smile on my face as I'm cooking on it is worth it. Some people buy pits and resell constantly. Some pits you could sell for more than you paid if there is a long waiting list. An offset will hold more value than a pellet grill for instance. Electronics become obsolete. Companies go out of business and parts become unavailable. Grills break and parts become unavailable. If something breaks on this smoker I'll be floored. The only enemy is profound neglect.

Normally, a Kamado (Weber, Green Egg, whatever kind) is fueled by lump charcoal, and with some smoke wood/chunks added in for flavor.
I kind of disagree with fueled by lump, I don't use lump did once or twice many and I mean many years ago did not care for it went back to regular charcoal Weber my favorite. I know 5 or 6 people who have eggs none of them use lump inconsistent as opposed to normal charcoal of course we all use wood chunks that is a given.

Not here to argue lump vs charcoal vs pellets but in my Kroger in the ATL moves a lot of this stuff they have a pretty large selection outside under a covered area. Supermarkets were very early on in analytics they have a good idea what sells based on your reward cards and other stuff. So their standard setup in my store is always a full pallet of regular charcoal, some people might be horrified always 2 pallets of Match Light cause I assume that is what they sell the most of, maybe a half pallet of lump and a half pallet of pellets. That mix certainly can be different in other markets.

The smile on my face as I'm cooking on it is worth it.
Well to me that is all that counts your are happy, I just did my second cook with ribs on my Performer using an SNS the first one was a learning experience but the second one beyond my expectations cause I learned how to cook on it. In the end did the food taste good, was my family or yours happy with the meal all our families have different tastes some like a bit of smoke some like alot, mine loves ribs fall off the bone others want a chew its all good.

I would not call an S6 exactly cheap at the current price of $2,149 and I have stated many times would love to have one but not at that price. A 22 WSM is what 550 drop to the 18 for 420 kind of with you on the 5k for the pooper but everyone needs to spend their money where they want to. I don't do brisket plenty of BBQ joints around me which do it well for not much money that will break the bank when I go out to eat. I am definitely not cheap but there is no way there would ever be a $180 Wagyu brisket on my smoker.
For the record, my S6 was bought used, hardly used too, for barely more than my E6 was when new. If all goes well soon, I’ll have liquidated $2500 in used grills and be back at a single grill solution, the S6.

Not just shilling for money, but getting paid by Google for views of the videos. Google has this complicated metric of how many views a video gets and how long people watch the video, when they cut them their share of the advertising money.

That's why a lot of these YouTubers are long winded. They talk and talk and talk to drag the length of the video out, in order to make more money.

And they have to constantly come up with some new idea for content. So ya get comparison cook after comparison cook after comparison cook and none of them really come to any conclusion or offer me anything I can use in my backyard.

Again, I got no problem with people making money. And I once enjoyed a lot of these YouTubers, but as they became for commercial, its lost its appeal. They've become a waste of time.

I really hate the " in video " ads these people run. I pay Google for YouTube premium to avoid ads. But yet the YouTubers throw in ad inside the video.
The "in-video" ads are simply the worst. Many of these YouTube videos that these guys produce are essentially the same cook, method, etc., but for different meat and/or on a different rig. I mean, how many times do I need to see some guy cook a brisket? One of the reasons I LOVE this forum is that there isn't any BS. The videos that Chris produces are spot on, informative, useful, short, and to the point. I am a native New Yorker and don't have any time for BS or folks who dance around questions or issues. Tell me the straight deal and let the chips fall where they may. We are all big boys (and gals) here, we can handle the truth (sorry, I had to say that!).

i'm sorry. this just makes me laugh. it's a friggin bbq/smoker.

if you're cooking for your fam and some friends, these prices are ridiculous.

i'll just stick to my S6 and wonder why people spend this much money on a bbq. doesn't anyone work anymore, or do they have all this free time to sit in front of a bbq and watch the smoke stack rise?

i clearly just don't get it. mamma was right when she said i was a simple one. i'll just keep it at that.

$5k for a pellet pooper. you guys serious?
Actually, I am on permanent disability, so all I have is time on my hand to "sit and watch smoke rise from my rigs." I own 3 rigs (Weber Kettle, 18" WSM, and a Traeger Pro Series 34). I truly love to prep my cooks, set up my rig, and then work it during the cook. People spend whatever they can afford. If I had lots of disposable income, I would get the best & largest pellet smoker I could find; I spent $700 on my Traeger, which for me, was a lot of $$. I would NEVER trade in either of my Weber products. But I would get the 22" WSM just to have the larger one for when I am feeding a larger group. Other than that, I love all of my rigs.

please feel free to post some links to read further on. i understand the difference(s) between the two, but want to learn more. and i understand to each their own on what or how much they'll spend on any grill. i don't care about the price. but i do and will continue to laugh at a $5k pellet pooper as Jeremy Yoder makes his videos. i just find that funny, as i noted in my original reply.

i'm not digging into a foxhole here. but when presented with the airflow perspective, i'd truly like to better understand the "what" part. all i do is make some backyard bbq for friends and family. and i don't think i have any desires to get or go beyond that.

Ha! One of my neighbors bought a $5K DCS gas grill a few years ago. That just sounds crazy to me. But he was like a kid in a candy store when it came. He works for Deloitte, so it fit his wallet. There are some gas grills I've seen online that go above $10K. Who buys that stuff? I guess there's a butt for every seat and a seat for every butt.

The "in-video" ads are simply the worst. Many of these YouTube videos that these guys produce are essentially the same cook, method, etc., but for different meat and/or on a different rig. I mean, how many times do I need to see some guy cook a brisket? One of the reasons I LOVE this forum is that there isn't any BS. The videos that Chris produces are spot on, informative, useful, short, and to the point. I am a native New Yorker and don't have any time for BS or folks who dance around questions or issues. Tell me the straight deal and let the chips fall where they may. We are all big boys (and gals) here, we can handle the truth (sorry, I had to say that!).

Those "in-video" ads seem fairly new. They really are frustrating. I think most of us tune out completely when the start, I know I do.

Some of those in video ads are fine and you can just fast forward through. A lot of times I'm seeing stuff I might be interested in. But other times they are pushing stuff that's snake oil or crappy phone pay to win video games. I object pretty hard to pushing a product that you don't believe in. That to me is selling out. If it's tangentially bbq related I'm interested. I'll let the standard adds play if I'm not busy. Maybe it helps support the channel?

Joe - gorgeous rig. I have the 22" Weber Kettle. Do they sell just the cart as a standalone unit? If so, any idea where to get one? I checked my local Lowes and Depot, nothing to be had. TY
That Webber Summit Kamado (WSK) S6 is not mine. It is just an ad I saw on FBM. That is a 24" insulated Kamado style grill which is Weber's top of the line charcoal burner that goes for over $2100 new.

I kind of disagree with fueled by lump, I don't use lump did once or twice many and I mean many years ago did not care for it went back to regular charcoal Weber my favorite. I know 5 or 6 people who have eggs none of them use lump inconsistent as opposed to normal charcoal of course we all use wood chunks that is a given.

Not here to argue lump vs charcoal vs pellets but in my Kroger in the ATL moves a lot of this stuff they have a pretty large selection outside under a covered area. Supermarkets were very early on in analytics they have a good idea what sells based on your reward cards and other stuff. So their standard setup in my store is always a full pallet of regular charcoal, some people might be horrified always 2 pallets of Match Light cause I assume that is what they sell the most of, maybe a half pallet of lump and a half pallet of pellets. That mix certainly can be different in other markets.
I hear ya' briqs are a little easier to handle. I wish I could find KF Competition, or Weber briqs but I haven't seen either in St. Louis for quite a while. I'm pretty much done with all other briqs because of the crazy ash production compared to any lump...that's the only reason... cuz I'm lazy and don't like handling ash.... It's my understanding you need to use low-ash producing briqs or lump in ceramic kamados, but the Weber Kamado can burn whatever you put in there.

This will be the debate to the end of time who cares in the end whatever you use was your food good?

In order to help moderate the temperature when cooking with lump charcoal, chopping it into small pieces and putting it in a charcoal basket really slows down the high and low variability. But, if you are getting what you want from brickettes, why change?

basket.jpgloaded basket.jpg

Chuck you are one dedicated lump user I give you that. :)
;) That picture is about 15 years ago. I was learning how to control my temps in a Bubba Keg (metal komado that seemed more sensitive than a BGE). This technique helped a lot. The bottom1/3 of the bag of lump usually has about the same size pieces. I would just use that part of the bag for low n slow.

These days, I rarely do any smoking longer than a couple hours with anything but my RecTec pellet grill. Too easy and I like the results of a clean, light smoke. I've moved away from the heavily smoked meats.

I'll chime in here if for nothing else to point out that the offset is a stick burner and capable of burning 100% splits... Normally, a Kamado (Weber, Green Egg, whatever kind) is fueled by lump charcoal, and with some smoke wood/chunks added in for flavor. My guess is that the same rack of ribs off the same hog, seasoned the same way would probably taste a little different off of each one... Maybe this is not only the fuel, maybe it's got something to do with airflow, but I would definitely expect a little different flavor. I'm a fan of both types of cookers and the WSM all for different reasons. Let's not forget that Harry Soo has built his reputation cooking on the WSM!

I would love to have a offset someday but good ones are both expensive and hard to come by. All that being said, the best bbq is whatever you're smokin' (wagyu. prime, choice, organic, free range, grass fed, certified angus, etc..) with whatever cooker you have in your backyard and a little practice on. My personal best Q has come off my WSM.... I'm still learning on my WSK.... Not sure I'll ever do side by side briskets WSM vs WSK... but, you never know, we have some big parties in my neighborhood, and I might do it if someone dares me ;)

Well as Harry says, it's always the pitmaster never the pit.

I do think that certain cookers make it easier or harder to produce really good bbq, but as Harry has shown you can win at high levels with a simple18 WSM if you're good at. And of course you can lose with the $15,000 rig if you're not.

It does depend what the judges are looking for most likely, and for things like chicken and ribs you're not looking for overly smoky flavor. I think that is where the WSM and pellet smokers probably compete the best . Especially when Kansas City style sticky sweet sauce covers it. When I cook it home now these things just have a hint of smoke.

I don't think a WSM can quite approach a Texas style smokey brisket that offset produces. But different areas of the country have different kinds of brisket too.

Most of the cheapest smokers you can get are offsets..... I'm sure they're low quality and leak badly but hey they're still offsets. If I was hanging out at a camp all day and cooking for other people yeah feeding a smoker splits wouldn't be bad. That becomes a lot of people's life as they get older you know cooking for their family and friends and stuff and that's great. My son was in boy scouts we had people like that who that was what they did. They had all kind of cooking equipment they would bring to car based camp outs . We take the boys out hiking or something and they would stay at the camp and cook the adults food. (Boys had to cook their own with Dutch ovens, us adults ate very well by comparison)

I'm usually a little bit busier.... I like using a temp controller and just come back later when the food's done. Maybe in another 20 years I'll be willing to sit in one spot and feed wood all day.

Last edited:

Back