Brisket Test: Prime vs. Choice vs. Select | Mad Scientist BBQ

i'm sorry. this just makes me laugh. it's a friggin bbq/smoker.

if you're cooking for your fam and some friends, these prices are ridiculous.

i'll just stick to my S6 and wonder why people spend this much money on a bbq. doesn't anyone work anymore, or do they have all this free time to sit in front of a bbq and watch the smoke stack rise?

i clearly just don't get it. mamma was right when she said i was a simple one. i'll just keep it at that.

$5k for a pellet pooper. you guys serious?

Each to their own

You do you

I work and I have 6 year old so I don't get to run the pit as much as I would like, but I'm telling you, tending a fire for hours is therapeutic. What I found when I was going more and more in the automated direction (with a WSM and signals/billows) was that I was enjoying cooking barbecue a lot less. I was just too far removed from the process. On the other hand it is nice to have that option and I've got nothing against it. The Summit S6 is a fine grill, BTW. I wouldn't mind one. What I've got allows me to more than handle what I need to and after the Franklin I'm in a moratorium on buying any more grills/smokers for a LONG time.

Not me, doesn't have enough air flow, same as a ceramic cooker.
would love to learn more about your perspective and thoughts here. clearly everyone does a different level of bbq, and that fits their needs, time, or budget.

so what's the airflow, or lack thereof in the E/S6 that you don't prefer, versus what you DO like and prefer. what's your percieved net benefit of more "airflow" and how are you measuring it to detemine enough versus not enough?

i'd really like to learn. i'm listening. thank you.

Last edited:
I would not call an S6 exactly cheap at the current price of $2,149 and I have stated many times would love to have one but not at that price. A 22 WSM is what 550 drop to the 18 for 420 kind of with you on the 5k for the pooper but everyone needs to spend their money where they want to. I don't do brisket plenty of BBQ joints around me which do it well for not much money that will break the bank when I go out to eat. I am definitely not cheap but there is no way there would ever be a $180 Wagyu brisket on my smoker.
Whoa, an S6 is $2149????? Does that calculate to the 7% inflation crap they're feeding us? Still looking for something that only went up 7%.

I wish I woulda bought a Franklin day one. I just got pricing and they are $5150 plain &5850 painted, free shipping.

@Lynn Dollar - I am also interested in your perspective on Kamado grills and air flow. I have never had a stick burner (Well I did find an almost new Char-Griller in the trash once and sold it for $100 to some Coast Guard guys;-)

Whoa, an S6 is $2149????? Does that calculate to the 7% inflation crap they're feeding us?

I wish I woulda bought a Franklin day one. I just got pricing and they are $5150 plain &5850 painted, free shipping.
Why would you do that an honest question, will you live long enough to smoke enough to get that money back? Again as I always say your money I keep coming back to Harry "its not the pit its the pitmaster" he has won multiple awards and I don't think he owns a Franklin.

I also think its insane to pay $250 for Aarons pre-cooked 5 lb brisket but thats just me.

Last edited:
I spent 3450 on a Franklin that I could now sells for about 5150. That's a good investment it turns out. If you take care of a pit it holds its value extremely well. I had an old country pit that I bought for 350 and sold for 200 10 years later.

Why would you do that an honest question, will you live long enough to smoke enough to get that money back? Again as I always say your money I keep coming back to Harry "its not the pit its the pitmaster" he has won multiple awards and I don't think he owns a Franklin.

I also think its insane to pay $250 for Aarons pre-cooked 5 lb brisket but thats just me.
I would never do that.

No horse in the race, but airflow is a big deal with respect to "stick burners." It's well documented vs the smoking results of a Kamado style grill/smoker........let the games begin!
please feel free to post some links to read further on. i understand the difference(s) between the two, but want to learn more. and i understand to each their own on what or how much they'll spend on any grill. i don't care about the price. but i do and will continue to laugh at a $5k pellet pooper as Jeremy Yoder makes his videos. i just find that funny, as i noted in my original reply.

i'm not digging into a foxhole here. but when presented with the airflow perspective, i'd truly like to better understand the "what" part. all i do is make some backyard bbq for friends and family. and i don't think i have any desires to get or go beyond that.

I will let Lynn D. chime in, as I don't want any part of this debate.
i'm not debating at all. just seeking knowledge. i don't care to argue any finer points of bbq, briskets, smoking or whatnot. people do what they want to do and how they want to do it.

I'll chime in here if for nothing else to point out that the offset is a stick burner and capable of burning 100% splits... Normally, a Kamado (Weber, Green Egg, whatever kind) is fueled by lump charcoal, and with some smoke wood/chunks added in for flavor. My guess is that the same rack of ribs off the same hog, seasoned the same way would probably taste a little different off of each one... Maybe this is not only the fuel, maybe it's got something to do with airflow, but I would definitely expect a little different flavor. I'm a fan of both types of cookers and the WSM all for different reasons. Let's not forget that Harry Soo has built his reputation cooking on the WSM!

I would love to have a offset someday but good ones are both expensive and hard to come by. All that being said, the best bbq is whatever you're smokin' (wagyu. prime, choice, organic, free range, grass fed, certified angus, etc..) with whatever cooker you have in your backyard and a little practice on. My personal best Q has come off my WSM.... I'm still learning on my WSK.... Not sure I'll ever do side by side briskets WSM vs WSK... but, you never know, we have some big parties in my neighborhood, and I might do it if someone dares me ;)

I spent 3450 on a Franklin that I could now sells for about 5150. That's a good investment it turns out. If you take care of a pit it holds its value extremely well. I had an old country pit that I bought for 350 and sold for 200 10 years later.
I guess it might be a good investment but they are now 5150 so of course your not going to get that since its used and I would have to guess its a limited market so if you got your 3450 back after years of use pretty good deal. But what is it really worth I just did a 500 mile search out of the ATL on Facebook no Franklins to be seen maybe no one selling so maybe its worth 3450 or maybe 2500 not sure or maybe they are more popular in your area no clue.

If I had the money and the green light(cheerfully) from the comptroller I’d buy an expensive offset. I love cooking on all kinds of grills and fryers. Man cooking is so much fun 🤩 love it 👍🏻🎸:coolkettle:

Back