Brisket Success

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Brisket is something I have been wanting to do, but have been fearful of it. I am afraid of ruining such an expensive cut of beef. I ruined some ribs once and that was only a $20 mistake. Brisket is at least double that price. Now that I have the 18.5" smoker, I decided I now have enough space to try my hand at making a brisket. I had made a small flat, but it didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I was ready to try again. We were out running errands on Saturday afternoon. We happened to be by Caputo's. I ran in there to see if they had any decent looking briskets. Going through the ones in the cooler, I found one that was mis-priced. All of the other ones were marked at $8.99/lb, but this one was $5.99/lb. That was my sign to buy it and go for it.

Not wanting to mess it up, I did some research on the Internet. It turns out everyone does brisket their own way. Before I confused myself, I stopped researching and made a last minute decision to jump right in and do an overnight brisket. I took what I had read and did my own thing. I first injected the brisket with beef broth and then rubbed it down with some home made rub. I used the same rub that I use on everything else I make. LOL!

I was able to get it on the smoker around 11:20 PM. For this one, I used cherry wood. Once I was able to keep the smoker temp pretty steady, I decided to go to bed. That was around 12:30. Around 3:45 AM, Ella had came and woke us up because she heard a weird noise. I assured her it was our hedgehog April running on her wheel. Since I was already up, I went down and checked on the brisket. The smoker temp had dropped to 180, and the brisket's internal temp was 150. I opened up the air vents to get some more Oxygen flowing to raise the temperature in the smoker, Once it hit 220, I went back to bed. I woke up again around 7:45 to find the smoker temp had dropped to 180 again and the brisket temp was 154. It was obvious the brisket had hit the stall. By this time, the brisket had been on the smoker for about 8 hours and 25 minutes. I checked the fuel and it was a little low. I added more charcoal and brought the smoker temp up to about 250 to make up some time. The brisket temp started to rise. It hit 175 and stalled again. I decided to go ahead and wrap it in foil to power past this stall. It wasn't long before the internal temp started to rise. After 13 hours on the smoker, the brisket hit 203 and it was finally time to pull it off. At this point, even though the internal temp hit its target, it does not mean it was done just yet. I checked the brisket for tenderness and it was definitely tender.

I wrapped it in more foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.

Plated with home made BBQ sauce, home made beans, and home made bacon potato salad.

The brisket cut like butter and was fork tender. It was delicious! I was proud of myself for getting over my fear of ruining brisket and actually making a decent one. Thanks for looking!!!

Chuck AKA Crabby

Awesome Brisky!!! I prefer to overnight my brisket too, they always come out better that way. Glad you nailed it!!!!

Brisket sure does look guud for your first time. I've been wanting to do one, maybe for the playoffs.

Thanks guys! After reading how tough it is to do a brisket, it got me really nervous. I am glad I made the leap and just did it. My in laws came over for dinner and they all loved it. Even my sister in law who is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. LOL! Thanks again guys!!!

looks great! Like you I have messed up a brisket and don't want to spend the money to try again. I need just go for it!

Thanks guys! After reading how tough it is to do a brisket, it got me really nervous. I am glad I made the leap and just did it. My in laws came over for dinner and they all loved it. Even my sister in law who is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. LOL! Thanks again guys!!!

Looking good Chuck! I too was nervous about doing a brisket, and intimidated by the cost of it. I actually had my WSM for almost 6 months before I tried my first one, and then waited another 10 months before trying again! I've only done the 2 brisket cooks (one flat and one packer) both were tasty, but neither were quite right. Hopefully I'll have some cash and courage to do another one again soon. I think I know where I messed up before, so hopefully I can get closer to perfect this time.

One question: Did you have water in your water pan?

Thanks guys! That price is really intimidating. I found one for a decent price so that was my sign to do it. Yes, $38 is still a lot of money for meat but so far it fed 5 adults with leftovers.

Just jump in and do it. Having confidence in yourself helps a lot. My buddy told me, you cannot rush perfection. He was right. Make sure you have enough time to make one. Mine took 13 hours.

Brian, I always use water. I have been having good success using it with other things I have smoked, I am afraid to change it.

Thanks again!

Great job on the brisket Chuck!! Ya i am used to paying .49, then .99, then 1.49 a pound for briskets.........i can't pull the trigger on the new prices.......ug!

That is a perfect brisket and with the side dishes outstanding job. Please pass a plate full!

Thank you everyone! I convinced my buddy to do one. He bought a small 3 lb'er. It was such a hit in his house he went and bought a 7 lb'er. LOL! If you want to do one just have some confidence in yourself. Thanks again!!!

Wow, turned out great. I have tried several briskets. My best one was when I knew less and just went for it. My worst one was when I was too scientific about cooking it.

Back