Brisket Slicing Question (against the grain)

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
I seem to struggle with the concept of slicing against the grain. I drew up this simplistic diagram of my understanding of what this means.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

the black lines are the grain. the orange line is how I would slice it.

brisketlesson.png

Your diagram is spot on. Cut 90* to the grain whichever direction that grain runs (aka across the grain).

Last edited:
You are correct about slicing across the grain, however the grain will run in a direction closer to the orange line and you will slice with the black lines. At least in all the briskets I've seen

Part of this is a nomenclature problem: some call it against the grain and others callit it across the grain. Across the grain is a little better terminology. This also implies that the cut is mostly straight up and down, with respect to the cutting board.

You can also use a "bias" cut, which is still an across-grain cut, but adds interest to the eye appeal of a serving. Such cuts are made across the grain but at an angle to the board (not vertical). It has most of the benefit of short-cut grain plus the eye appeal.

Part of this is a nomenclature problem: some call it against the grain and others callit it across the grain. Across the grain is a little better terminology. This also implies that the cut is mostly straight up and down, with respect to the cutting board.

You can also use a "bias" cut, which is still an across-grain cut, but adds interest to the eye appeal of a serving. Such cuts are made across the grain but at an angle to the board (not vertical). It has most of the benefit of short-cut grain plus the eye appeal.

Well said.

Of course.... are we talking about a left handed or a right handed brisket... ( chuckle ) ;)

search on youtube for a video of an Alton Brown (Good Eats) where he was talking about slicing meat across the grain. He uses a model of a bunch of garden hoses plastic wrapped together and it is the best visual explanation of cutting across/against the grain I have seen.

I like to flip the brisket over and look for the grain before I apply any rub. I make a score line perpendicular to that grain. When it is all cooked and the bark is on it, the score line is still visible and works great for being a guide on how to cut it.

I was taught to make a small notch in the sides of the brisket to show the direction of the grain so when it is rubbed and cooked you will know the direction. One will be in the thin end of the flat generally on the corner and the other will be close to the point on the opposite side.

I generally will cut the far end corner of the flat down where it's usually too thin anyway before I rub/cook. That way it's already established how the cut should go after cooking and it's a can't miss.

I will use a bias cut if I was dumb enough to overcook the brisket. It helps to keep the slice together without making it super thick which is normally a dead giveaway to the judges that I botched it.

Russ

Back