Brisket Prices

Mike Taylor

TVWBB Member
Thought about doing a brisket this week but the prices are unbelievable. We are in AZ for winter (Tucson area) and the cheapest I could find was $6.29/lb at Costco. Safeway was $8.99/lb! I hadn't looked at briskets for awhile and was shocked at the price. Is it that way all over the country?

I think last time I checked at Walmart not too long ago it was in the $3.70-4.00/lb range for a full packer. Is the $6.29/lb at Costco for a full packer?

I saw $5.10/lb. a couple weeks ago at Restaurant Depot for choice Angus packers in the the 14-18# range.

I just saw 3.99 at the Business Costco in Las Vegas for a Full Packer, the regular costco by my house had the Flat for 7.99! I also noticed the Business Costco had Bone in Pork Butts where the regular only has boneless. .40 cheaper for bone in which I prefer anyway. I swear the ribs were .70 cheaper a lb to.

Whenever I hear the prices else where I'm always shocked. I pay around $3.25/lb for prime at Costco. It varies and goes as high as $3.77 but cant remember it being any higher and of course choice is less.

I bought a prime packer from the San Jose, CA Restaurant Depot about 10 days ago for $4.17 a pound.

Wegmans here in the North East has them for $6.79/LB at about 5LBs....I've never done one but I have been really wanting to...I think I might give it a go...

Best prices around here at retail are at Smart & Final.
That was a few months ago, though.

Our local warehouse store (BJs) hasn't had full briskets on hand for over a year. They only have flats. I was there on Tuesday and they had some for $6.99/lb. Just before Thanksgiving, the nearest Walmart had full packers for $3.79/lb., but only had a few on hand that didn't look all that healthy.

I did find a 15 pounder at Walmart yesterday for $3.38 lb. There wasn't a grade on it but the meat guy thought it was select.

Not sure of price per pound, but a nice packer used to run about $28 around here a year or so ago. Now they are around $50.

I used to smoke one at the drop of a hat and share with neighbors. Now I have not cooked one in many months.

Darn Arbys buying up all the briskies and in the end raising the prices on an otherwise undesireable slab of meat that most people dont even know what to do with it,,

Just cruised through Walmart this morning to check on prices. It's up to $3.68/lb for a full packer here. I miss getting a packer for $35 instead of the current $55. :(

Back