Brisket price-oh my!

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I was shopping for a packer yesterday and I was floored by the prices! One place was $4.99 lb =$$$ and the lowest I found was $3.79lb.
Are they more expensive this time of the year or is this normal? I was expecting more like $2 lb?
icon_eek.gif

Two days ago I got a brisket at walmart for 2.38/lb and pork butt from a butcher for 1.59/lb. The butcher was out of brisket or I would of gotten it from there.

Brett

Unfortunately we don't have a Costco nearby (BJ's Wholesale Club but they were out) but we do have a Super Wal-Mart - I'll check there - Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty House:
Just looked at one at Costco yesterday: $2.19/#. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monty,
Where do you live?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
just last night, i saw a 2.5 lb flat for 5.99 lb.

that's just crazy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that's what they're going for here too. That's one reason I switched to doing packers a year or so ago. The prices started to go crazy.

Walmart here carries them for $2.99/lb. that is still a little high for me so I only do them once or twice a year. I keep my eye out for managers specials because of a nearing sell by date.

That's a very high price for a choice packer.

It's normal for a flat in Baltimore however. Last week flats where $4.99/lb at costco and this week it was $4.79 at the supermarket. A local butcher sells them for $5.99/lb I'm sad to say. You can get packers for $2.5/lb in some places, some charge $3.99.

I was at Wal-mart yesterday and all of their flats were $4.99/lb.! It's hard to find whole packers here for less than $3.50/lb.

I haven't been cooking to many briskets lately
icon_frown.gif

Our local grocery store sells "short rib style sliced brisket" for 7.99/lb. It's just flat sliced into 1" thick slices. I asked about buying a flat in the cryovac. They said the would cut me a deal 7.50/lb!!!! Outrageous

The best deal I can find up here is 3.29-3.49/lb for packers.

My wife got a packer at Walmart for $2.38/lb yesterday. I was shopping for butts at Kroger last week and they were $2.99/lb.! Go figure.

Back