Brisket / Pastrami Question

Matt in MD

TVWBB Fan
Hi all - I am thinking of making a brisket in my WSM, this will be only the 2nd one I have done. Since it's just my wife and I eating, I am thinking of doing three things:

1.) Cutting the flat in half and smoking it, along with the point
2.) Freezing the point to make burnt ends some other weekend as I read about here on the forum
3.) Brining the other half of the flat to make pastrami in a week or two.

Any suggestions or problems with doing this? If making half a flat would be too dry, I'll hold off until I have a bit more experience.

Thanks!

Well, both of my local stores were out of brisket so that will have to wait for next weekend. But guess what was on sale. Pork! This sucker is almost 22 pounds! Smoking it tonight.

ddcrpi.jpg

Yeah, I have to cut it in half - no way it's fitting on my 18.5" otherwise 😀

ETA oops - just opened it. it IS two wholes. Thought it was one huge shoulder.

Last edited:
Is it bone-in Matt? Those are the ones I prefer. If you have a vacuum sealer, use that to freeze the leftovers. Saves you from freezer burn.

Bob, thanks - yes it's bone-in. I have been looking at getting a vacuum sealer. Probably the next time I see a good sale.

Check Costco for them. Price is fine and theirs normally have more bags and things than other stores. I figure mine has already saved me the upfront cost when you consider the cost of freezer burn on good meat. The bone-in always gives more flavor in my opinion. Can't wait to see the pics of the final product.

Bob, thanks - yes it's bone-in. I have been looking at getting a vacuum sealer. Probably the next time I see a good sale.

We bought our vacuum sealer at Costco, too. We have REALLY used it, too. Everytime we smoke meat we do LOTS and vacuum seal the left overs. We try to have ribs and pulled pork available at all times.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Is Costco cheaper than Amazon?

Also this pork is taking forever! The wsm dropped to 180 overnight while I slept for a few hours. Pork is at 165 now, about 13 hours later.

Not sure about the current price at Costco but what I looked at is what was included in the purchase and that was 2 or 3 years ago. As I recall Matt, the reason I went with Costco is the extra bags that came with the unit tipped the balance towards Costco. Not sure about now however.

Hang in there!! You've got a pile of thermal mass jammed in that little cooker.

As long as you've taken the necessary precautions to avoid running out of beer, just enjoy the wait. It will be worth it!

Thanks Darren - the meat has been stalled around 155-160 for almost 3 hours. I just added fuel and figure it's got to be done in a few more hours tops!

Back