Brisket - on for 5 hours and already at 198 IT

Justin D

TVWBB Member
This can't be possible? A 15 lb packer... put it on at 4:30 (it is now 9:54) and the temp on my maverick is showing 198. I have it in the thick part of the flat.

Repositioned the thermometer... it reads 193 now but that still seems really fast to reach this temperature. 5.5 hours???

Of note - it's not wrapped. Temperature of the smoker has been pretty steady between 225 and 260. It's currently at 244.

The probe is most definitely not sliding in like a knife through butter.

Maverick probe is probably shot. Check it if you can with other thermometers and whatever you do WAIT until the brisket is cooked.

Flying blind! Yeah, the probe is reading 187 now. Strange.

OK... I'll be probing it every few hours I suppose throughout the night. I don't have a backup thermometer.

Water or dry? If you're at around 250, have water in the pan and don't wrap, it could be in the 180 vicinity by 6:00a-ish. Get some shut-eye and dream of waking up to smokey goodness.

Water or dry? If you're at around 250, have water in the pan and don't wrap, it could be in the 180 vicinity by 6:00a-ish. Get some shut-eye and dream of waking up to smokey goodness.
Water.

So I woke up a couple of times throughout the night... checked the smoker temp which was all good at around 225. Did the probe test and was getting more buttery each time. It's 6:40 am right now and I just wrapped and transferred to the oven... it's nearly there, but I ran out of fuel outside.

I've done many briskets without a thermometer. Like everyone says, a simple probe test will tell you when it's done.

Expect it to take 15 hours at 225.

So the brisket turned out really nice... it ended up being on the smoker for 16 hours. I chose to chop the whole thing... that's how i prefer it. I served sandwiches all weekend... good feedback from all.

Back