Breaking in the KillaGrilla grate & rack for Summit Kamado

SSmith

TVWBB Fan
Got the new KillaGrilla grate & rack in this past week. Have them on my Performer…LOVE them. Heavy duty all the way.

Attachments

• 805FF5DA-81D6-4052-93F8-BFF8D3AF8065.jpeg
    805FF5DA-81D6-4052-93F8-BFF8D3AF8065.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 382F19D9-5354-4F9C-82C6-69606263FEE5.jpeg
    382F19D9-5354-4F9C-82C6-69606263FEE5.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 9A641C09-3069-4DCE-9594-DD78869806F6.jpeg
    9A641C09-3069-4DCE-9594-DD78869806F6.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 75F108C0-4347-4195-8E00-0FBA6BD41C4A.jpeg
    75F108C0-4347-4195-8E00-0FBA6BD41C4A.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 86
debated killa grilla or smokensear grates. Went with smokensear due to being able to spin them freely and the large charcoal gate only one side. Only wish smokensear went with that thicker gauge of the the killa

Features and benefits? What do you like about the new grates? Thx in advance.
I can spin the killa grate…but don’t. I have the exact same set up in my Performer, been using it for about 5 years or so.
I like the heavy grates, don’t feel or seem flimsy. I never cared for the Weber rack with the removable center-I still have an unused one on my Performer. When trying it on the E6, it would come loose, shift out of position. ( I would pick up food that was on the little center piece and it would come up with the food sometimes). Besides, I don’t cook with any of their pieces that go in the hole.
I like the thicker grate, easy to clean and doesn’t bow or bend.
Also use Killa upper deck as it does NOT move or shift when in place.

Ah, treat yourself, Brett. You won’t be disappointed. Never had any issues on my older Performer Killa grate and upper deck. I do have another brand of upper deck on one of my other Performers (have 3, all dedicated) with a Vortex and it is not half as good (Now this one I do NOT use the center grill plate due to vortex-I’m sure it would destroy it with all the concentrated heat)

Features and benefits? What do you like about the new grates? Thx in advance.

not sure if you're asking me or OP. Smoke n Sear is lighter and 20 dollars cheaper. Also handles are welded on top so it's easy to spin. There are times I just throw on the grate without any care to it's orientation. It would then be super difficult to spin it as the the welds hit the supports. Even the handle are pushed in a bit on the SnS so they don't hit the lid bale bolts.

not sure if you're asking me or OP. Smoke n Sear is lighter and 20 dollars cheaper. Also handles are welded on top so it's easy to spin. There are times I just throw on the grate without any care to it's orientation. It would then be super difficult to spin it as the the welds hit the supports. Even the handle are pushed in a bit on the SnS so they don't hit the lid bale bolts.
Both. In learning mode here. TYVM 😊

I can spin the killa grate…but don’t. I have the exact same set up in my Performer, been using it for about 5 years or so.
I like the heavy grates, don’t feel or seem flimsy. I never cared for the Weber rack with the removable center-I still have an unused one on my Performer. When trying it on the E6, it would come loose, shift out of position. ( I would pick up food that was on the little center piece and it would come up with the food sometimes). Besides, I don’t cook with any of their pieces that go in the hole.
I like the thicker grate, easy to clean and doesn’t bow or bend.
Also use Killa upper deck as it does NOT move or shift when in place.

Ah, treat yourself, Brett. You won’t be disappointed. Never had any issues on my older Performer Killa grate and upper deck. I do have another brand of upper deck on one of my other Performers (have 3, all dedicated) with a Vortex and it is not half as good (Now this one I do NOT use the center grill plate due to vortex-I’m sure it would destroy it with all the concentrated heat)

I also bought the SnS elevated grate but have not used it on the charcoal grill. It is somewhat custom made to fit into the SnS grate handles for secure fit. But i did use it in my Spirit 2 burner gasser. It fit perfectly in it and allowed me to get more indirect heat on a tri tip after I gave it a good sear. Even at lowest propane level on only a single burner it was too hot and was going to burn the tritip. Grill grates make this little grill very efficient.

I am somewhat jealous of the killa grilla gauge of them rods. (pause)
PXL_20220317_030836139.jpg

Last edited:
I’m just glad we have such a selection for mods and upgrades for our grills. I do like a heavy grate! I use ALOT of cast iron bowls-of all sizes on my grills. I like the fact I can sit a cast iron pot of chili on it and it doesn’t sag.

Love my killa grates on the 26” and performer, the 26” grate is not light though. 😃
Looks like a “grate” set up!!

Back