Bread Is Broken - article

Interesting. I hope it works out. Our bread in the states is pitiful compared to the local bakers in Europe. In particular our "eclairs" taste like paper in comparison.

Good article Clint. There are so many variations in what some people (myself included) consider a good loaf of bread that one could say that that article only presents one side of the argument. There are many sides.

And I think that a lot of peoples eyes would glaze over half way through that article. I say that because they, in all likelyhood have never eaten a truly remarkable slice of bread. They think that the "name brand" loaf (you know, the one with the colourful bubbles on the plastic wrapper) is the best thing since, well since sliced bread ;) Even the "artisan" bread you pay $7 , 8 or 9 dollars at a real bakery has to cut corners. They have to make a loaf that will last longer than a day for mass consumption. I think it's in France where people buy their bread daily, not once a week. They don't use preservatives in their loaves so they don't last long. Storage of bread is a topic for another thread.

They say there are 5 main ingredients in a truly great bread: water, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and a starter. I disagree. But that's ony because I've found that creating and maintaining a starter is more work than I want to do.

Eyes starting to glaze over yet folks? Relax, I'm almost ready to get off my soap box ;)

You'll notice they didn't mention yeast in those ingredients. There are two sources of yeast in their "recipe": the starter they use and the other is the air we breathe. That's why a "west coast" sourdough bread (usually a quite pronounced "sour" flavour) is totally different from what one might find in an east coast "sourdough" bread. It's the air!

My ideal bread (until I find a better one) only has 4 ingredients: water, flour, salt and yeast. My 3 pounds of dough will make 2 1 1/2lb loaves. For that, I use less than 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. Conventional recipes use 10X that for a 1 lb loaf. I could go into why one uses so little yeast and the other so much but suffice it to say, I actually have three sources of yeast: the natural yeasts in the grain itself (yes, I grind my own flour from the whole grain), the natural yeasts that are floating in the air we breathe. And my one concession to man-made products, I add store bought yeast. That store bought yeast is my starter.

It gives the whole bread-making process a "kick start", otherwise the time to get everything active is more than I want to spend.

Enough of this. You're a devil Clint, getting me started on this topic.

In the end, a good loaf boils down to quality (and the most SIMPLE) ingredients:

1) pure unadulterated flour (no bleaches, no preservatives, no "dough conditioners" (a euphemism for bleach)--tough to find but worth it,
2) pure water (unchlorinated is very important but not essential),
3) pure salt (not table salt) and either
4) instant or active dry yeast (it'll be your one concession to using a "store-bought" item)

Don't need oil (or any kind of fat), don't need milk (depending on what you're making) and don't need a starter (again, depends on what you're making). In fact, you don't even need store bought yeast (perhaps why it's not in their list). The bread making process will just take longer.

I'm done (for now; till someone posts their reply ;) )

Very interesting article Clint. Recently we have started buying "Dave's Killer Bread" which is made on Oregon. It is very tasty and at least by reading the label appears healthy. Thanks for sharing.

Len I'm not super educated about labels but I don't see any dried cane sugar in these ingredients. There is some organic fruit juice but I can't imagine that's too unhealthy and its a small amount by weight. I know this pic sucks but its the best I could come up with given my limited camera equipment. Its very interesting and I would like to be able to read between the lines so to speak on food labels.

image_zpsyyir8hla.jpeg

Last edited:
Well they shouldn't be allowed not to list dried cane syrup on their packaging and they shouldn't be allowed to list 1 gram of sugar per serving if it's really 4-5 like you say.

My Grandfather was the bread maker in the family, and he did it daily, just like Grandma went shopping everyday for dinner because they grew up in a time without preservatives and refrigeration.
My BIL is retired and big on doing his own bread.
I've got a few more to go before I retire and can't wait to get started.
Good post Clint!

Tim

I was reading your response while driving (passenger) earlier this morning --- I was hoping you'd post your recipe,,,, I'll dig into it and try to replicate it soon!

We've got one of those bread makers, it's 10+ years old....brand new still in the box, LOL

I read your post re: hijacking the thread, agreed with it and deleted irrelevant posts/retained the one relevant post.

Yes, that is one example of that bread. Generally speaking, you need a fairly large container (12 litre). Dump the flour in, add warmish water and hand stir. NO KNEADING. Let it sit for 20-30 min so the flour can absorb the water (called autolyse). Add salt and the little bit of yeast. Use a "pinch and pull" method to get it mixed up. Over the next 90 minutes, you do about 26-30 pinch and pulls after 30 min, again after 60 min and one more time at 90 min.

Cover the container and let it sit at 70o for 12-14 hours (triples in size). Then split in two and proof for about an hour. During that time, you put 2 4-5 qt dutch ovens in your oven and pre-heat at 475 for an hour.

Plop the dough into the DUTCH oven, COVER & bake 30 min with lid on. Take lid off and keep baking for another 10-15 min. Pop the bread out (if you only have 1 d.o., repeat the process).

I've left out some details but that is the general method. I'd recommend the Forkish book as it has the method and recipes I use.

To sum up: the first step takes 2 hr, the rise takes 12 hours and the bake takes 45 minutes. Start it at 8 pm on Fri nite, bake at 10 a.m. Saturday morning, cool for about 2 hours and you're eating it at 1 pm Saturday afternoon

Although eating warm bread with butter is nice, while the bread is still warm, it is still cooking! Don't cut into it until it's completely cool. It may take 2-3 hours to cool completely. You'll end up with a loaf that has such a crisp crust that when you do cut it, it will literally shatter and the crumbs will fly all over the place.

This is true artisan quality.

Last edited:
Amazon says I got it 10/2014 - I've read a little through it a few times

I just have 1 5-qt DO

So do one loaf at a time. At about 1 1/2hr BEFORE the first loaf goes in, put the 2nd one in the fridge to slow down the proofing. When the first loaf comes out and the pot is in for the 5 min re-heat, take the 2nd loaf out of the fridge and when the 5 min is up, well you know the rest.

Follow the time line for the Saturday White Bread for a first attempt at this method. It'll give you a chance to observe the rise first hand. And be prepared to be amazed.

If you follow his instructions to the letter, I guarantee your loaves will turn out as good or better than the pics in the book.

Two notes: the only ingredient I vary is the salt. Instead of 21 grams, I use 18. Personal preference. Don't lower it the first time you make it. Only change it if your mouth tells you to :) .

Second is the timing of the bake with the lid off. When you first take it off, the bread will be a light golden colour. For the next portion, check it at the 10 min mark. It'll be pretty dark by now but be patient. I do take it out at 10 min (so total time in oven is 40 min but again, that is personal preference. It'll almost look burnt BUT IT'S NOT! That crust is where all the flavour is so be patient. Give it at least 10 min but no more than 15 with the lid off.

I do use two scales to measure the ingredients (including the water): a $10 electronic scale and a $10 jewellers scale (measures in 1/10 of a gram). I weigh all ingredients, never use a cup or a measuring spoon. It's the only way to go. You'll also find that your instant read thermometer that you use for testing your pork butt is an excellent tool for making bread as well.

Len, that recipe sounds great! Never would have thought making a loaf of bread would take longer then smoking a nine pound pork butt:D

Len, that recipe sounds great! Never would have thought making a loaf of bread would take longer then smoking a nine pound pork butt:D

It would be great if you could eat one just once. To taste real bread is such a treat, you'd never go back. Primary reason it takes so long is you're not putting all that yeast in there. You're letting the flour and the air around you do the work. Plus, I really like the fact that there is no kneading. I got a $400 dough mixer that I hardly use anymore just because I got turned on to the no-knead method.

Even if you get artisan bread from a baker, they still have to cater to the once a week buyer (re: preservatives, whatever). Not saying they all do it that way. Just the ones I've tried (guess I'm unlucky that way ;) ).

Back