Bread Is Broken - article

Clint, this may seem obvious but I'll show you an easy way to cut that round loaf. Cut it in half. Then in quarters. That way, you can freeze 3 of the quarters while you devour the 4th. Don't try to slice it from one side to the other. Do a half at a time.

Wasn't obvious to me till I read about the right way to do it is why I suggest it to you b4 to try . With a 5 qt oven (same as me), the bread comes out a little squattier than with a 4 qt (which would be higher but not as wide). I can't get a 4qt is why I use a 5.

Oh, and toasted? It actually tastes better toasted than plain. Brings out way more of the flavour of the crust.

Last edited:
I saw something that said to make uniform cuts on a round loaf: cut a slice, rotate it 90 degrees, slice, rotate 90 degrees, slice, etc. I looked though The New Artisan Bread in 5 minutes, Flour Water Salt Yeast (forkish), and Tartine............. I couldn't find the picture.

I did find this in Tartine though:

12187980_10205226094593837_1174108868546147232_o.jpg

The cuts are made to allow natural "flow" of lines. Not quite what I want to say but it's meant to be decorative as well as provide an outlet for steam to escape.

HAVING SAID THAT, don't bother. When you split the dough into two and put each piece in a proofing basket, you kind of "pull up" the four corners of the flattened out lump of dough and try to make a nice round ball (seams ON TOP). You then put the dough SEAMS down into the basket (you'll have a smooth round surface on top).

After the dough has proofed for an hour, gently (ALWAYS handle dough gently as if you don't, the gases may escape and well, you don't want that to happen) flip the proofed dough onto a piece of parchment paper so the dough seams are now facing UP.

Pick up the parchment paper from opposite corners (with the dough on the paper seam side up) and put dough AND paper in the D.O. and cover with lid. Those seams will provide a natural outlet for the steam and provide you with the "splits" that make it look nice. NO NEED to slice the dough with a knife/razer/lame. It'll split along the seam lines just perfectly.

Your "rotation" of the loaf when cutting, well, I wouldn't but try both ways and see which one suits you/what you want your slices to look like. Just like with our smoking: many ways to get the same results. It's all up to what's easiest for you.

Last edited:
Not to go too far off topic but that bread looks so good that I'm looking at Dutch ovens, is anyone familiar with Lodge brand cast iron cookware? I found a 5-quart at Walmart for about 35 bucks I'm considering buying, thanks

Not to go too far off topic but that bread looks so good that I'm looking at Dutch ovens, is anyone familiar with Lodge brand cast iron cookware? I found a 5-quart at Walmart for about 35 bucks I'm considering buying, thanks

$35 sounds like a good deal - this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-5-qt.-Dutch-Oven/5969631

Other things to look at for a dutch oven is some have lids that can be used as skillets, others have legs underneath so they don't squish the coals. The only "down side" to the one linked is that the handle prevents the lid from being used as a skillet. Seems like a great deal otherwise.

k2-_7e5bdeb8-c610-4247-afbc-3258e47e82d7.v1.jpg

Sure wish I knew where to get a hold of some of that Bauermeister flour mentioned in Clint's link.
In my breads I never use oil, but I do use melted butter.

$35 sounds like a good deal - this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-5-qt.-Dutch-Oven/5969631

Other things to look at for a dutch oven is some have lids that can be used as skillets, others have legs underneath so they don't squish the coals. The only "down side" to the one linked is that the handle prevents the lid from being used as a skillet. Seems like a great deal otherwise.

k2-_7e5bdeb8-c610-4247-afbc-3258e47e82d7.v1.jpg

Yes I think that's it, there is a 4 piece set for around $75 which seems like a fair deal. I know nothing about baking but these bread pictures have inspired me and I think this would be a great chili pot as well.

Back