Brazilian Meal in Honor of the Olympics

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

Last weekend we decided to honor the host country for the Olympic Games by cooking a native meal for the closing ceremony. I perused all of your fabulous cooks for some Brazilian grub. I settled on the Picanha Com Alho recipe posted by Jerome D earlier this year. I could not find Sirloin Cap locally so I substituted a tri-tip roast. While I channeled my inner Jerome, Kari made a bunch of Brazilian sides. Below are a few pics of the proceedings.

Tri-Tip Cut into Chunks, Dry Brined, Smothered in Minced Garlic, and skewered into the Traditional Picanha Shape

Meat on Indirect (I decided to use a reverse sear technique) to an IT of 110

Kari's Espe Tinho de Palmito Appetizer (hearts of palm wrapped in bacon and served over pesto)

Meat Moved to Direct - Very Hot Coals

Kari Fixed us Caipirinha, a Brazilian Cocktail (vodka, muddled whole lime, sugar, ice)

Carving After a 15 Minute Rest - Nice and Rare

Plated with Couve a Mineira (sauteed kale), Salade de Quiabo com Tomate (okra tomato salad), and Arroz Branco Soltinho (Brazilian white rice)

Sizzle Vid

This meal was really good. Kari and I both enjoy trying food from other places (although usually someone else cooks it). The meat was awesome (thanks Jerome D). The dry brine made it extremely tender and the reverse sear is definitely the way to go. Kari's sides were really good and the cocktail was the star of the show. It was light and very refreshing. Anyhow we are now fans of Brazilian food and will be cooking it again and again. Thanks fort looking!

Regards,

John

Terrific looking meal, John and Kari! Instead of Fogo de Chão, we have Fogo de John :D. I'm really liking the side dishes (especially the hearts of palm wrapped in bacon), and everything looks it paired nicely with the beef. Speaking of the tasty beef you cooked up, tri-tip is definitely a legit cut in the realm of Brazilian grilling, and I believe it's called maminha (refer to cut #15 in the chart below).

The caipirinhas look great - definitely a lethal cocktail when mixed correctly. My favorite description of the caipirinha came from Anthony Bourdain on the Brazil episode of his Parts Unknown show on CNN:

"What's magical about this cocktail is the first taste, it's like I don't know, man, it's a little too something. Then like that second sip, it's like oh, that's kind of good. Then the third sip, it's where are my pants."

Outstand cook John and Kari, you both nailed that one on all counts. Awesome plated pic.

Back