Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Another update, I had to make some minor modifications to the fan body housing with the 1" NPT Pipe Threads - which is why it hasn't been posted before. I finished it today during my lunch and posted it up onto Thinigiverse. Cheers!

Thanks!

Just sent a print to 3D Hubs!

I can remember a forum member (no names) had mentioned in the past that his damper was as small as yours. Something about taking a photograph next to a Coors can. Well ... you be the judge.

PKzgbwz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The servo and fan controls released in the newest snapshot found in the thread "The LinkMeter Snapshot and YOU", will now allow varying when the fan kicks in. This means you can start your pit with the fan, then allow it to run the damper only, unless your pit requires the additional air from the fan to stoke the fire.

So, what does this mean for you?

Well I'll tell you what it means for me. As a UDS owner, although I have three 3/4" valves on my pit, I know that I only need to utilize a single 3/4" valve to control it once the pit hits or nears desired temperature - the other two are just for getting it started. The MicroDamper was designed with a 1" cross sectional opening on the intake and a 1" exhaust. I imagine the MicroDamper will control it very well with the new settings. I look forward to testing once I'm not a chicken **** about the cold.

Last edited:
Hey all,

My dogbowl has a 1-1/2" close nipple mounted to it. Rather than messing with an 1-1/2" x 1" reducer coupling and a 1" close nipple, how hard would it be to modify the 1" npt housing to 1-1/2" npt (female)? Keep in mind I have 2D Autocad experience, but no 3d experience. I could use autocad or sketchup... I'd like to start fooling with Sketchup, so that would be my preference.

....or has someone else made this?

Hey all,

My dogbowl has a 1-1/2" close nipple mounted to it. Rather than messing with an 1-1/2" x 1" reducer coupling and a 1" close nipple, how hard would it be to modify the 1" npt housing to 1-1/2" npt (female)? Keep in mind I have 2D Autocad experience, but no 3d experience. I could use autocad or sketchup... I'd like to start fooling with Sketchup, so that would be my preference.

....or has someone else made this?

The transition from 2D to 3D modeling isn't very easy. As far as putting a 1-1/2" female thread on the MicroDamper, you'd need to start from scratch since the diameter of the thread itself is wider than the damper. You'd be best off going with a reducer, or maybe even just fabricating a new dog bowl if you want to try and keep it low profile.

Thanks steve. Sometimes the simplest answer is not the most obvious.

As an aside, what size is the opening for the mAcrodamper. Perhaps I'd print that and make an adapter plate for a smaller fan.... hmmm.

It's a tad over 79mm. It would be really simple for me to make you a model that fits into where the 80mm fan goes that would hold a 40mm fan, if that's what you are looking for.

Also keep in mind the MacroDamper is somewhere around 15mm or so taller than the MicroDamper, and you can fit 4 MicroDampers in the foot print of the MacroDamper. So the Macro is significantly larger. I have a photo on my phone of the two printed side by side. I'll update the MacroDamper thread now.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I like the large open area - less restriction, and lower velocity to blow the ash around when the fan kicks on.

As an FYI I do not recommend using a 80mm fan on a small pit because you will be forced to reduce the output percentage to a point where your static pressure needs will not be met.

What kind of pit do you plan on running this on?

I'm a little slow at work today so I just went ahead and posted a fan reducer to the MacroDamper Thingiverse page. It will allow you to put a 40mm fan where the 80mm would go.

Chargriller Smokin pro offset. Hope to upgrade in the relatively near future to a yoder or horizon. That's why I was thinking the small fan on the big damper. I like the big cross sectional area for lower velocities.

Yeah a 40mm fan should be capable of running that rig. Not sure how stable you'll be able to keep it as those offsets aren't the greatest. But if you plan on upgrading to a big yoder or horizon I think you'd be smart to run with a MacroDamper with the new fan reducer so you can swap it out to an 80mm fan in the future.

Thanks again Steve, I know we traded lots of emails. Finally done dicking around with the printer and now back to making stuff. First go at PETG with these parts.

PETG is a SOB with the stringing and overhangs, will see how those fine threads did when I go try to connect to 1" NPT. Fit is great, though, much better than the ABS attempt I made before calibrating everything :)

crappy pic but you get the point. On a side note, really loving PETG. strength compared to ABS along with that flex in it is great.

microdamperpetg.jpg

happy to

That's got some crazy sheen/gloss to it. How does it compare to the black porcelain enamel of a weber in real life?

That's got some crazy sheen/gloss to it. How does it compare to the black porcelain enamel of a weber in real life?

Partly some of the flash reflection. Here's a daylight shot to get a better idea. I don't have a real weber so I don't know :(

md1.jpg

PETG can have a nice glossy finish to it, really depends on print speed, from what I have gathered. I haven't played around enough with it yet (happy just to be back up and running, I'm sure you understand that!) Also, getting used to S3d. I plan on doing the same parts side by side with different settings to get nice comparisons of what settings do what.

The clear/natural stuff, whatever you call it, that can go near-clear if printed slow enough. You can see on these particular parts the difference in transparency as the speed changes (slower higher up due to that minimum layer time setting) -> http://www.ice8420.com/3d/funnels.jpg

PS considering we are so close to each other... and you are the father of this design.. obviously if you ever want me to make something in a filament I have handy and you don't, or, really, ANYTHING you ever need, you know how to reach me !!

Back