Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Thanks Seth! I'd say that looks pretty close to a Weber black with the gloss. It can never really be duplicated with FDM printing though.

Couple comments on what I see in the photo though. It looks like you printed the wrong servo body housing because your servo is sticking up. Also, I know you plan on running this on a UDS, that being the case looks like you have the wrong fan for the job. You want the Delta EFB0412VHD for a UDS. Looks like you have the ASB0412VHA-AF00, which I specify for the smaller pits.

Thanks Seth! I'd say that looks pretty close to a Weber black with the gloss. It can never really be duplicated with FDM printing though.

Couple comments on what I see in the photo though. It looks like you printed the wrong servo body housing because your servo is sticking up. Also, I know you plan on running this on a UDS, that being the case looks like you have the wrong fan for the job. You want the Delta EFB0412VHD for a UDS. Looks like you have the ASB0412VHA-AF00, which I specify for the smaller pits.

The fan - just found one laying around to see how it fit, not going to use that one. Same on the servo.. I have both mg90s and sg90s around, again, just seeing how it fits, grabbed the wrong one. Thanks for that though :) Good eye

It has just been brought to my attention that the file I had submitted to Thingiverse that contains the 1" NPT threaded connection had accidentally been mirrored before submitting as an STL on thingiverse. I have just updated the file, and wanted to apologize to those who may have sent files to a 3D Hub for printing and got a bad print because of it. Unfortunately it hadn't shown on my end until now because I have been printing from my gcode files and not re-slicing my STL files for each print. So if anyone who downloaded the file in the past and just left it for a later print, I suggest you update now. Thanks!

Hey Steve,
Finally back in the USA and printed out the new one you put. I will go to home depot later to grab a 1" fitting (have to convert my UDS to it anyways) and see how well it mates up.

excuse the little "string" across the one thread. damn PETG. still getting my bearings on this filament :)

mdorange.jpg

Lookin good Seth. Welcome back to 'murica

Good to be home. Although being in India again reminded me how much I need to build a tandoor :)

PS threads are good. Thanks again for this! I probably won't use the plug you use, I'll bootleg a cat5 jack, as I have them lying around and I don't really care how it looks :)

mdo1.jpg

mdo2.jpg

Good to be home. Although being in India again reminded me how much I need to build a tandoor :)

PS threads are good. Thanks again for this! I probably won't use the plug you use, I'll bootleg a cat5 jack, as I have them lying around and I don't really care how it looks :)

You can make a tandoor out of a 30/55 gal drum! Get building and invite me over for some chicken.

You can make a tandoor out of a 30/55 gal drum! Get building and invite me over for some chicken.

Exactly my plan. I just chopped up the 55gal laying around to make a windscreen for the turkey fryer.. I will probably go 30gal for this particular one. I don't necessarily need a massive tandoor...

I bought a Micro-Damper from Steve and connected it to my Weber Silver Kettle grill like this

IMG_20160305_125244.jpg

IMG_20160305_131826%20%282%29.jpg

I used a threaded 1" pipe (and elbow, etc) and 2 conduit nuts...one on each side of the bottom of the Weber to hold it in place.
I put the elbow on it in case any hot coals get down in the pipe - so they stay away from the plastic/micro-damper.

Last edited:
Looks good. I always like to see how people connect it all up. Be sure to buy some high heat paint for the iron pipe so it doesn't get all ugly on ya

Recently I've been doing some testing with the Delta EFB0412VHD fan on the Akorn Kamado and I am quite pleased with it. I prefer this fan to the one that I have previously been specifying for small pits like kettles, kamados, etc. So from here on out there is one official MicroDamper fan and that is the Delta EFB0412VHD. Below is a graph of tonights dinner which is bone in turkey breast. I started playing with the temperature when I took it off and I am quite pleased that it could do 600* and 725* like a champ. This will be my go-to for reverse searing roasts. I'll edit the first post of this thread to reflect the new changes tomorrow... for now, I eat some delicious turkey with white onion, pickles, and white bread.

MSJIU4k.png

Recently I've been doing some testing with the Delta EFB0412VHD fan on the Akorn Kamado and I am quite pleased with it. I prefer this fan to the one that I have previously been specifying for small pits like kettles, kamados, etc. So from here on out there is one official MicroDamper fan and that is the Delta EFB0412VHD. Below is a graph of tonights dinner which is bone in turkey breast. I started playing with the temperature when I took it off and I am quite pleased that it could do 600* and 725* like a champ. This will be my go-to for reverse searing roasts. I'll edit the first post of this thread to reflect the new changes tomorrow... for now, I eat some delicious turkey with white onion, pickles, and white bread.

MSJIU4k.png

Just in time for a digikey order :)

I'm really glad you also have the same exact grills as me... doing all the R&D :)

New HeaterMeter and MicroDamper builds. Many thanks to Bryan and Steve for sharing the expertise and providing easy to build kits.
Assembly went flawlessly and all works great. Still working on dialing in the PID parameters.

I wanted to share how I connected the MicroDamper to my WSM 14.5.

One inch threaded pipe with a 45 degree offset. Electrical box conduit locknuts used to keep everything secured.

[Edit] I have been enlightened about the dangers of zinc/galvanized steel and BBQ, so the inside (zinc coated) locknut has been replaced with a stainless steel locknut. [/Edit]

A cap protects the threads when not in use.

Very easy install.

Last edited:
Give that black iron some paint before it rusts up. And be careful during night cooks, those gnomes are up to no good.:coolkettle:

I live in AZ, not much rust here though a shot of paint couldn't hurt.
The wife has so many garden gnomes around that the only way to avoid mischief is to feed them on cook nights. :wsm:

Fans and plugs and jacks all showed up, just put 2 of these together.
Just need to convert my stuff to 1" NPT then will fire em up.

Only request/feedback I would have is to move the jack 90 degrees from where it is on the housing, would make installation a bit easier. On the flip side, it's pretty damn tight and not worried about wires going anywhere !

90* would put them in direct flow of air. On the new ones I'm printing I've pushed the jack out a little bit making it a tad easier to fit it together - I'll update thingiverse when I get a chance. As of now though it is tight, and you're right the wires ain't going nowhere. As long as you make good soldering connections bending them to fit isn't a problem.

90* would put them in direct flow of air. On the new ones I'm printing I've pushed the jack out a little bit making it a tad easier to fit it together - I'll update thingiverse when I get a chance. As of now though it is tight, and you're right the wires ain't going nowhere. As long as you make good soldering connections bending them to fit isn't a problem.

No half assed soldering in this house :)

Hey Steve. I ordered a microdamper off your web site. By the time i would have had a case printed and parts sourced, your one stop shop is great value. Does it come assembled? If not, is there an assembly guide for dummies. I may need it. Thx, Tom.

Back