box of rib(lets) ?

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i have seen these at a couple grocery stores. they are sold in 10 pound boxes. i asked about them at the meat counter and they opened up a box for me....

they looked to be ribs, but all cut up in odd strips/pieces. they did look very meaty though.

whats up with these boxes? has anyone cooked them before? worth it?

My brother gave me a box of these once, he got them from one of his suppliers just to check it out. It was an interesting mish-mash of parts, that's for sure! It ran the gamut from a 5-bone rack of baby backs, to some flap meat. It made for an interesting cook, and it all tasted great. If you can get them for cheap, it wouldn't be a waste to buy a box, especially for like a party for a game or something. Like a rib grab-bag of sorts!

i have been eating them for about 3 or 4 years now. the dollar general markets sell them. they are hormel brand. they sell them in small packs that are only may 2 to 3 pounds. which works out good for me when i want to cook something quik. they do come in alot of different shapes and sizes and i believe thay are just trimmings off the ribs. cooking them in the oven or just grilling them are easy to do. but if you smoke them you have to really pay attention to not over cook or over smoke them because of the different thickness of meat. i would also say if you can look at them before you buy, try to get some with plenty of fat content. the low fat content will make them come out dry. i had some just yesterday. i think you would like them.

been busy.... sorry i couldnt reply earlier.

i think i am going to try them out. they are in 10 pound boxes and they come out to about 1.49lb.

like i said the person at the meat counter opened up a box for me and they looked really meaty... but there were all sorts of bits in there.

i hate that they are all frozen though. i dont like to refreeze something. so i might have to do a whole weekend of them. half one day and the rest the next.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Brown (KY):
Where did you see them Becky? Price would definitely have to be cheap to tempt me over full racks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jeff there is a little grocery store in Jeffersonville called Olde Towne Grocery and they had them there.... $15 a box.

i have also seen them at the Save-A-Lot in town as well.

i havent gotten racks down.... at all. and i feel awful when i "mess them up". so this is a good thing for me to play with.

The boxes you are refering to are the trimmings as Jim H stated. They are also know as "rib tips". They are very tasty, but do contain fat and gristle. I usually smoke them for 2 hours give or take and then foil for about 30-45 mins then finish off unfoiled. Hope this helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Brown (KY):
Where did you see them Becky? Price would definitely have to be cheap to tempt me over full racks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jeff there is a little grocery store in Jeffersonville called Olde Towne Grocery and they had them there.... $15 a box.

i have also seen them at the Save-A-Lot in town as well.

i havent gotten racks down.... at all. and i feel awful when i "mess them up". so this is a good thing for me to play with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Becky, There is a Save-A-Lot right up the street, I'll have to check them out. The last time I cooked spares the wife enjoyed the trimmings just as much and they were done in about half the time.

we buy riblets all the time, but i've never smoked or grilled them

my wife uses them in a soup called sinigang. (made with tamarind soup mix)

it's a filipino thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
been busy.... sorry i couldnt reply earlier.

i think i am going to try them out. they are in 10 pound boxes and they come out to about 1.49lb.

like i said the person at the meat counter opened up a box for me and they looked really meaty... but there were all sorts of bits in there.

i hate that they are all frozen though. i dont like to refreeze something. so i might have to do a whole weekend of them. half one day and the rest the next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember first (and only) time I tried riblets. It was a long time ago but the thing that sticks in my mind:

so much bone for so little meat.

Trade for backs? Don't do it.

IMO, riblets are a waste of money. Taste is ok but way too much "throw away".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
Sounds like the trimmings off of St. Louis cut spares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what it is.

Becky,
I tried them once - not worth the effort and time for servings that are too full of gristle, etc. I won't do it again. Like others have said,, they appeared to be ends, and trimmings -all leftover stuff.

Ray

Back