Bowl Day Brisket

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
Well, in anticipation of the LSU/Texas Tech game tonight, I decided to get a couple racks of spares. I went to Costco and was amazed at the price of the Prime brisket. Really making me think about getting a grinder for hamburgers! I pay $3.50 to $4.00 for ground beef at the local supermarket.

Change of plans! I'm working the next three nights (wife is out of town at her folks); so I'll have plenty of leftovers for lunch.

I followed Harry Soo's Texas brisket a few months ago with rave reviews; so I decided not to change things until I know I have it down cold. I trimmed the hard fat off leaving about an 1/8 of an inch on the fat cap and inside the pocket between the flat and point. I rubbed it down with a slurry of beef base and worcestershire sauce followed by fresh coarse pepper, celery salt (didn't have the called for celery powder), and SYD Hot rub. I let it sit in the fridge for about 8 hours.I pulled it out right before getting my coals ready.

Once the WSM seemed at a stable temp, I put the brisket on the top grate.

Plan to run it between 200-225.

It dropped to 196, so I opened the vents slightly and it went to 228. Made a minor adjustment and it looks like it's happy at 219. I'm good with that. I'll update throughout the day. Wish me luck!

I hope you are rooting for Texas Tech.... Just kidding. I am an Ole Miss guy myself but have a lot of family that attended Texas Tech.

I overslept my alarm. Meant to pull it at around 4:45. Didn't pull it until almost 6PM. It's still very good though, just a hair on the dry side. I had it wrapped in Butcher paper the last 2 hours. Gotta resist the urge to take a quick nap next time! Only cut the thinnest portion so far. Should be better at the point end. I think I'm my worst critic though. My brother loved it.

Last edited:
Man, that looks great!

New guy - couple of quick questions:

How long did you end up cooking it, total?

Which WSM is that (18.5" or 22")?

Thanks,
Jason

Those are some mighty fine slices. That is a gorgeous piece of meat. You got a great deal. I've never seen a brisket at our Costco.

Man, that looks great!

New guy - couple of quick questions:

How long did you end up cooking it, total?

Which WSM is that (18.5" or 22")?

Thanks,
Jason

Total cooking time was about 13 hours. I thought the slices were a little dry at first, but those were the first ones from the end of the flat away from the point. Once I got about halfway up the flat it was considerably better.

That's a 22"

Total cooking time was about 13 hours. I thought the slices were a little dry at first, but those were the first ones from the end of the flat away from the point. Once I got about halfway up the flat it was considerably better.

That's a 22"

Sounds great - and thanks for the info.

Back