Bored Out Of My Gourd Rub

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Hi, bored and want something to do? Now would be a good time to clean out your spice cabinet.

Take a large, empty, clean, glass jar. Go one by one through your spices. Anything that is too old, or you don't use, doesn't smell strong anymore, etc. , pour into the jar. When the jar is almost full, put the lid on it and give it a few shakes to mix it all up. Now, sit back and think of all the things you could use it on. Happy Cooking!!!!!

My final part to piece together a WSM arrived today. It took three weeks and nine orders after the center section from Weber Customer Service arrived.
I’ll tackle the spice cabinet this week. No, I’m not going to make a rub out of it.

My final part to piece together a WSM arrived today. It took three weeks and nine orders after the center section from Weber Customer Service arrived.
I’ll tackle the spice cabinet this week. No, I’m not going to make a rub out of it.
Aw come on, why not? lol

Who knows what goodies you can make on your new WSM!!!

Come on Joan, you clean your spice cabinet more often than that, don’t you? I have stopped buying giant quantities of lots of things that I used to. Anymore, I buy the smallest bag quantity (I have plenty of jars) and probably do a buy twice a year. There are exceptions of course, like the tandoori seasoning which was sent to me from a grill buddy in Scotland (tonyUK) who has become a friend through the Internet! We send fun stuff back and forth when he needs something that he can’t find there, I send it he then sends me something which I may never have heard of.
This is a fun site for folks with imagination and a penchant for helping someone else out.

Come on Joan, you clean your spice cabinet more often than that, don’t you? I have stopped buying giant quantities of lots of things that I used to. Anymore, I buy the smallest bag quantity (I have plenty of jars) and probably do a buy twice a year. There are exceptions of course, like the tandoori seasoning which was sent to me from a grill buddy in Scotland (tonyUK) who has become a friend through the Internet! We send fun stuff back and forth when he needs something that he can’t find there, I send it he then sends me something which I may never have heard of.
This is a fun site for folks with imagination and a penchant for helping someone else out.

Timothy, what a lucky man.

I tell myself that every day! When I listen to my wife’s breathing at night, when I hear her grumble (family friendly) at her computer while she works from home. I will be even luckier when I can make dinner for my grandchildren again! It’s been a long three weeks!

Timothy, I see your wife is also very lucky. What a sweet thing for you to say.

I also miss my family. Only 15 minutes away, but it has been weeks since I have seen them. Thank God the phones are still working. That is better than nothing.

Timothy, almost a year since we wrote these words. Can't believe it has been this long.

OK, threw the first jar away and started a second jar. One of the things we have used it on is Smashburgers. We coat both sides of burger. Sometimes they are delicious and sometimes just ok. lol

Bumping this up just for the fun of it, because we have been talking about buying/making rubs on another thread. Also because I forgot to mention that the other night DH made us Smashburgers again using the spice mixture from the 2nd jar and we got lucky. They turned out very good!!!! :giggle:

It would take me a week to go through all of my rubs and spices. Although I do always check my spices and rubs before using them to see if they have lost their pop. I just dump them if they have gone south on me.
My oldest rub is a simple one I make for ribs and still make it being my exclusive for baby backs since 1999.

We are half way through cleaning out the spice cabinet. DH is taking a break. What I wanted to tell you is that we found 6 home made spice blends for BBQing. Yes, we put them together. Also found 4 different curry blends that we put together. Also, almost 20 jars of homemade and store bought blends that we just threw out. Boy is the spice cabinet looking much better. lol

The total number of jars we got rid of is 32. :eek:

Darn, DH took a picture of the cabinet, but sorry, I can't seem to post it.

Back