Boneless Beef Chuck Roast?

N Cage

I've been googling to try to figure out how long it would take to BBQ my boneless beef chuck roast (its about 5 pounds). What i did get is that i should foil maybe the last hour. Anyways how many hours do you guys think it will take? What temp would you take it up to? 170?!180? I'll probably use 250 as my BBQ Temp.

Thanks,
ncage

NC I think that you might try smoking at 225-250, till you hit around 165 and the bark looks good. Consider spritzing it a few times with apple juice and beef broth. When it hits that temp I would foil it with a little of that same spritz juice and then cook to fork twist tender. Should be around 5-7 hours total. Don't go by temps alone, they are just a guideline, keep it cooking till it is tender.
Also search on here for Pepper Stout Beef, will give you more specifics and is a fabulous dish

Nicolas Cage???? Just kidding.

Las time I did a chuck roast it took 6 hours or so. I shredded the beef to make pepper stout beef. I smoked it until my fork can pull the meat with ease.

Like Bill said when it hit 160 I put in a pan and foiled. Once It reached 195 I started to check for tenderness.

That is the other question here, what do you want to do with it? Shred or slice? If you want to shred it do just as Tony said, if you are going to slice it do it to fork tender ( a fork goes in nice and easy ) but not till it pulls apart real easy which will come shortly after.

HI guys, thanks for the replies. I will actually be using it for smoked echiladas :) so i will be shredding it. Hopefully it turns out good :)

Last time I did chucks it was 4 of them, each about 3.5 lbs.

Meat went on the WSM at 225 to 250 degrees for almost 5 hours and reached 165 to 168.

I then foiled it and cooked at 200-225 for about 3 more hrs.

Meat came off at about 210. Then I put the foiled chucks, wrapped in a towel, in an ice chest for an hour or so. Temp of meat dropped maybe 10 degrees.

It pulled beautifully.

I've done other cooks with smaller chucks or higher temps that took a lot less time. Maybe 4 hours, plus 2 hours wrapped.

210 for me has been the magic number. I usually take them to around 180 now before I put them in a D/O with some liquid...just trying to get a bit more fat to render out before we eat.
I like a chuck roast now better than brisket. Much easier to cook too.

Larry Wolfe told me to cook it until I could stick a fork in it and twist it like spaghetti...... that visual helped me.

Some excellent advice from the best of the best on the forum. I just picked up a couple of chuck roast on sale to pull for BBQ beef, so I'm taking notes here.

Approach I took for the last one I did.

I used a 4 lb. chuck roast. Smoked it for 5 hours before pulling and wrapping in an aluminum pan and foil with Guinness beer. Back on the smoker for a few more hours until it hit temp (195 or so). It was like butter at this point. Pulled and vacuum sealed for later use. Used the other day for pulled beef sandwiches. Tried with and without a bbq sauce and it was so much better without.

Back