Bone in rib eye steak

Alexis Solod

Finally I didn't wait this week end to cook... I did it tonight...
I cooked something we often do here, a bone in rib steak.
I made it typically french, rare, with blue cheese sauce.
But I was inspired by your posts to try new side dishes.
So I did some hasselback potatoes with coleslaw. My family really enjoyed it !

A41EDBD6-CA21-4B59-A013-8F715E1A2E1F.png_zpsflqeummi.jpeg

E2001360-1B81-410B-9B76-6EE20588C904.png_zpsiwbkcvxl.jpeg

952A4677-6546-4C95-9BC3-F90300F2A598.png_zpsqzjc2e5f.jpeg

439C6020-1F3A-45C9-8B9D-9DCF960D00E6_zpswi5da2z9.png

F2C8CDC1-036E-431D-BEFA-1819D82E3C81.png_zps1qz6mezo.jpeg

This part was a total success...
But, I also wanted to try my new smoker box (with hickory wood chips) and the iGrill mini...

First, the iGrill mini... I really had no problem with it. Everything was very easy to use. And it perfectly worked with my iPad.
The problem is that, I think, I didn't put the probe at the right place. Because it was almost medium rare and I wanted it between very rare and rare (the probe was set at 120°F)...
The meat wasn't too cold inside, it's been outside the fridge for an hour.
I think the probe was too deep. Next time I will try to put it closer to the surface...

Regarding the smoker box... Nothing happened... The chips have been putted in the water for half an hour, then filled in the box.
I started the grill and let the heat reach its maximum for twenty minutes...
Then I putted the meat inside and reduce the burners to half.
And... Nothing happened... it didn't smoke at all.
The wood under was a bit dark, but a very light black.
The box was on the grill grate, at the bottom of the grill on top of the second burner.
Maybe next time I'll try to put it directly on the flavorizers...

If you have any ideas about placing the probe and make the smoker box to smoke, please let me know guys...

Last edited:
Everything looks scrumptious Alexis!

First, I've never used a smoke box, but using one on a gas grill it makes no sense to soak the chips first for something as short timed as a steak cook.
Second, get yourself an instant read handheld thermometer, that way you can check temps in different places as the cook progresses.

edit to add, you could also make sure the chips are smoking first, but if you want a rare steak, then there will still be little if any smoke flavor.

Last edited:
I have never used a smoke box on my gasser either. I put equal amounts of wet and dry chips in a foil pouch put some holes in it and drop on the flavor bars. The combo makes the smoke last longer and helps them not just flash off.
this works pretty good you may have move the pouch away from the hot flame once it gets smoking.
Good job on your cook food looks very good.

Nice looking dinner!

Your probe should be in the middle of the thickest spot of the meat when you are grilling. To close to the surface and you will get a false reading. Unless your meat is a uniform thickness you will always have some spots that are more done than the rest or less done. Also proximity to the heat source makes a difference. One side may cook faster than the other. Looking at your first photo I would have probed in the middle of the largest meat medallion. I would run the probe from the top down to the middle, not from the side like in your photo on the grill. Yes you'd have to pull the probe to flip and re-insert.

A few things to help with your smoke box. Pre heat it when you are heating the grill. Get the smoke going then add your meat. Since steaks cook so fast you really need to get the smoke going first. Use dry chips or chunks, do not use dust. For my gas grill I use a 6" AMNTS pellet smoker from A-Maze-N products. Works great.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your comments and precious advises...
I will use my probe as recommended by you and probably invest in an handheld thermometer to complete my measures.
What do you think of the Thermopop ?
For the smoker box I will use it for longer cooks such as chicken on the rotisserie...
And I will mix dry and wet chips...
Thanks again.

Back