Blue silver genesis C yellow flames

Christo C

TVWBB Member
Picked up a free blue silver genesis C over the weekend thrown out on the street - even had a Weber cover so pretty pleased. It will go well with my little bluehead

60-B9-D1-EE-56-B8-4-BF6-8017-CF0014-AA0-AF3.jpg

Fired it up and everything seems good except for large yellow flames. The burners seem pretty clean and unused / have read elsewhere likely regulator or bad oxygen/gas mix.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Those flames are indicative of what happens when someone puts an LP hose/regulator on a natural gas grill. WAY WAY too much gas at WAY too much pressure. LP pressure runs nearly twice as high as NG pressure and LP has over twice as many BTU per cu ft as NG

Welcome Christo!

Larry's diagnosis is further confirmed by the lack of an LP tank holder and scale. Very likely a badly done "coversion." Still a very cool grill that can be made to work properly. A lot of us here in the US are probably jealous that you have TWO blue head grills - not to mention one for FREE! They are not very common here.

Yep, I’m jealous as all get out! Some guys have all the luck! I have a gas line outside even, I’d need to call the gas company and have them locate it again!

I would find another Silver or Gold B/C propane grill and grab the manifold to swap into that Silver C and you will be set. Otherwise, you could go through the conversion process but that is a bit more technical and complicated. Larry can guide you through that if you care to go that route. But, if you see the older genesis grills for good prices fairly often, it is just easier to find one to cannibalize.

You have a great find there and agree with Bruce, easiest to find another propane Silver/Gold C and use that manifold (if you'll use the side burner). Not sure if the Silver/Gold B manifold has the extra outlet for the side burner unlike the manifolds for the 1000-5000 grills which do have them.

Thank you all / yes will just then use this the lid from this one and keep a look out for another 2nd hand propane one - they do pop up in Australia but not often in blue / always black which was why this one was such a score. FYI - came across the blue Silver A in the same way / was thrown out but didn’t work but bought a another in black and swapped the lid.

Yep, you can swap everything from your current grill over to another Silver C frame. You could also just swap it over to a Silver B frame but then you would lose the side burner.

Or you could simply swap over the lid to another grill as you suggested. Use the best of the two grills to make one really good one.

Big Blue finally got fixed - all running on propane LPG now! Thanks all

IMG-9724.jpg

And just last week came across one more bluehead (silver b) - that's 3 now for the family - A, B and C!

s-l1600.jpg

No - in the end just got Weber CS to come out onsite and they just swapped out the natural gas manifold (that's it siting on the wood pile) for an LPG one. They threw in a free gas tube so that was nice.

Back