blanket/insulating question

scott harlan

ok, i have a question. i need a little bit of an insulator here, for those cold windy days. i see a lot of fancy things built on here from plywood and sheetmetal etc..., but i lack the handy creativity gene. so i come seeking advice. will a welding blanket work as well as a hot water heater blanket? or would one work better than the other? will these work well while using the vents at the bottom, i.e. not using a guru or pitmaster, just doing it the old fashioned way? would i be better off using a cardboard box? i still have the box the smoker came in, could that be used? will a blanket help as a wind break as well, or merely helping to keep the heat in? please let me know what some of you guys in colder climates do, i really appreciate it.

Scott, I'm like you but I did this . You need four hinges and 3 pieces of plywood .Lay the three pieces out on the ground next to each other so they look like this I I I. Attach two hinges to the left side of the center piece and the right side of the left piece. Then attach two hinges to the right side of the center piece and left side of the right piece. Now you have a foldaway wind screen. You can use any thickness of wood but remember the thicker the wood the heavier to carry a way but you don't want it so light it'll blow down either. Welding blankets work well to keep the heat in but you have to remember to allow room for air to get in your vents

I bought a BBQ Guru jacket and use it without the BBQ Guru. I had to cut a hole in the top above the vent to keep the temp up. I believe the current version has a flap in the top now for that purpose.

You could try your welding jacket, you might find you need a hole in the top like I did.

maybe i should just go for both. do you guys think a welding blanket would work as well as a hot water heater blanket? i know welding blankets are fire resistant and tolerate a ton of heat, so maybe that's better.

paul i really like your idea, and it sounds like something i can do. what size plywood do you think i should use? i was thinking maybe get a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plywood and having it cut into (2) 2 1/2' and (1) 3' piece and doing it like that. that way i can kind of make a triangle around the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would i be better off using a cardboard box? i still have the box the smoker came in, could that be used? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose you could but I'd never do it. Picture yourself telling your insurance agent that the fire started because you thought it was a good idea to put a cardboard box around a 300 degree cooker filled with burning charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scott harlan:
maybe i should just go for both. do you guys think a welding blanket would work as well as a hot water heater blanket? i know welding blankets are fire resistant and tolerate a ton of heat, so maybe that's better.

paul i really like your idea, and it sounds like something i can do. what size plywood do you think i should use? i was thinking maybe get a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plywood and having it cut into (2) 2 1/2' and (1) 3' piece and doing it like that. that way i can kind of make a triangle around the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use 1/2 inch plywood. I'd be worried that 1/4 inch would be too light.

I just used hinges from home depot.

my panels are made in three sections and also have a flap on the left and right panel at the bottom of anout 4 inches to put bricks as weights as I like to smoke in the winter and during windy weather.

Scott, that would work . Then you'd only need two pieces of wood. I used like 3/8 inch plywood and talk about heavy. I even put handles on the outside to make it easier to carry. Too bad you weren't closer , I'd just give you mine. Really don't need it anymore since I've got my cart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scott harlan:

paul i really like your idea, and it sounds like something i can do. what size plywood do you think i should use? i was thinking maybe get a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plywood and having it cut into (2) 2 1/2' and (1) 3' piece and doing it like that. that way i can kind of make a triangle around the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a welding blanket. It is safe up to 1000 degrees. It shows a few scorch marks but it does not burn. The only problem is you need to catch your temps early on the way up and adjust to about 50-75 degrees below target temp because the blanket will bump it up.

hey paul, did you put any kind of legs on yours?

and scott, does the blanket function at all as a windscreen, or just to help hold temp up? i'm considered mainly for the spring time, we have a saying around here in colorado, we have four seasons. summer, fall, winter, and wind
icon_smile.gif

Scott, if you're talking about my cart,it has legs and wheels. The cooking chamber can be accessed on three sides. PLus, each wood door has reflectix covering it on the inside to hold in heat. Great wind break. I have pics posted on the mods forum somewhere

dann b, i was trying to make something that looked like photo 1 on that page of the plywood windscreen. just wondering how to do it, but i think i got some good advice here. another buddy brought up a good piece of advice for me, he said i should just get some thin aluminum flashing to wrap around the base of the unit, just to keep the vents shielded from wind. anyone try something like that?

Originally posted by scott harlan:
i should just get some thin aluminum flashing to wrap around the base of the unit, just to keep the vents shielded from wind. anyone try something like that?

Yea Scott.
I use a 17 gal. metal washtub to set my base in when the Hawk's blowin.
It's 24" x 12" so it does a decent job at blocking the wind at the vents, while still leaving a 3" airspace.
When it's not windy I flip it over and use it as a pad to set the mid section and or the lid on during an assembly, or during a cook.
And I also use it for what it was made for,( and why I bought it ) to soak my grates on the WSM and the Kettles.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Ace had them on sale a few years ago for about $8.00.
But any Farm, Fleet, AGR. store will have some.

Tim

hey paul, did you put any kind of legs on yours?

and scott, does the blanket function at all as a windscreen, or just to help hold temp up? i'm considered mainly for the spring time, we have a saying around here in colorado, we have four seasons. summer, fall, winter, and wind
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is thick enough to insulate against the wind. I have had no problem other than adjusting my target temp.

Back