Blame the Food Network..........

Good point! It’s always someone else’s fault! I didn’t do more than three briskets last year, butts, several more.

Back when I joined the forum (08), Packer Brisket was $2.20/ Lb, from wally world (select)
I could get choice Black angus from my local market for $2.30/lb. ( I never seen prime)
Last time I checked choice is up to $ 2.74/lb and prime is $ 3.14/lb, @ Sam's.

"I’m told that people barbecue pork, too. I don’t understand why"
When I read that I gave up on the article. And this guy is from St Louis?

Last edited:
Article wouldn't load for me, but a ton of ads sure did. However, with Michael Symon having a show called Burgers, Beer and BBQ, I'm not surprised.

Back when I joined the forum (08), Packer Brisket was $2.20/ Lb, from wally world (select)
I could get choice Black angus from my local market for $2.30/lb. ( I never seen prime)
Last time I checked choice is up to $ 2.74/lb and prime is $ 3.14/lb, @ Sam's.

"I’m told that people barbecue pork, too. I don’t understand why"
When I read that I gave up on the article. And this guy is from St Louis?
Most St. Louisan's love all sorts of BBQ meats. Although I agree that Beef (and especially Brisket) prices are at an all time high, I think blaming "media" is kind of silly. Media definitely has influence, but people have more time on their hands to cook now so that is probably the real cause. Also there is a lot more info out there on how to cook brisket properly.... even one of my wife's friends who lives alone out in Montana is cooking brisket....

Sorry guys, it's my fault. I will try to tone it down -- I didn't realize my personal consumption was moving the market prices.

Seriously, though, the bourbon boom has been going on for at least 20 years. FN has nothing to do with it. Production today is 4X what is was in 2000. Driven by 25-45 year old hipsters craving authentic artisanal premium booze.

Bourbon and rye used to be rot gut downed by hard drinking old guys; now it goes into is $20 old fashioneds sold at cocktail bars in Brooklyn.

Sorry guys, it's my fault. I will try to tone it down -- I didn't realize my personal consumption was moving the market prices.

Seriously, though, the bourbon boom has been going on for at least 20 years. FN has nothing to do with it. Production today is 4X what is was in 2000. Driven by 25-45 year old hipsters craving authentic artisanal premium booze.

Bourbon and rye used to be rot gut downed by hard drinking old guys; now it goes into is $20 old fashioneds sold at cocktail bars in Brooklyn.
Nice to see someone own up to driving the prices up!
And what you say is a good point about bourbons but, it’s not just in the big apple, low bars around here have become warrens for man bun sporting hipsters ruining the joints for us old guys. One place used to be a “working mans saloon” where guys in the paper industry would go after their shift for a cheap beer and a shot. I’m told that more than once the great Les Paul and guys from the Gibson guitar company would walk over for a drink after Les had been at the shop! I’d venture not one of the staff knows that anymore.

After my cancer diagnosis, nearly a year ago, I gave up my bourbon, so I'm not to blame for any booze shortage or price increase.
I have noticed a lot of recipes, in the past year or so, with bourbon in the name.
Brisket started showing up at many fast food places too, but I think that has died off somewhat.
I'll only watch FN when Triple D is on, I still like seeing different eateries, so I'll tolerate Guy to see them.

Most St. Louisan's love all sorts of BBQ meats. Although I agree that Beef (and especially Brisket) prices are at an all time high, I think blaming "media" is kind of silly. Media definitely has influence, but people have more time on their hands to cook now so that is probably the real cause. Also there is a lot more info out there on how to cook brisket properly.... even one of my wife's friends who lives alone out in Montana is cooking brisket....

I agree with this.

Its most likely an " all of the above " . Central Texas brisket has become very popular with backyard cooks over the past 5 years, since Aaron Franklin wrote his book. And backyard barbecue has boomed during the pandemic. There's more barbecue joints serving brisket than ever before. Everybody from smoker/grill manufacturers to charcoal to seasoning have seen a huge boost in sales.

Back