Black Walnut

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Friend of mine had an old black walnut tree blow down in his yard & brought me a box of mini logs.
Any one ever used?

Use it very sparingly, John. I've used it in the past and tempering it with another wood is a good idea.

Brad

We just knocked down about ten big walnut trees to sell for furniture wood. I've got a few big brush piles left full of branches. I was looking forward to using some for bbq. I've tried it twice so far, half oak, half walnut. It was very good. I'll try a cook with straight walnut to check out the intensity.

Walnut can be toxic to some people (the smoke from the burning wood). I had an asthma attack brought on by a smoking fireplace with walnut(and I do NOT have asthma).

Where I grew up, they made feed bins out of walnut as it was toxic to bugs who can infest feed stored in an open bin.

Just a thought - better woods out there for smoking, that is for sure!

Dale53

Burn it ONLY in your fireplace or woodstove... the smell of the smoke outside on a clear, calm, crisp morning is unforgettable!

using it for smoke on meat.... forget it.

You guys are nut's! Black Walnut is my favorite on red meat! Nothing like a tri tip coated in a coffee rub and bathed in BW smoke!

I smoked a brisket and a butt using straight walnut. It was delicious. Nice strong smoke flavor. It wasn't bitter, but had a sharpness to it that I liked. However, I did cook a little hotter than I usually do. The temps were always between 260 to 300. I'll try again at 230 to see if it's too strong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveB:
I smoked a brisket and a butt using straight walnut. It was delicious. Nice strong smoke flavor. It wasn't bitter, but had a sharpness to it that I liked. However, I did cook a little hotter than I usually do. The temps were always between 260 to 300. I'll try again at 230 to see if it's too strong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah Dave! Let's smoke together sometime!

why burn it. Black walnut is a much sought after wood for its characteristic figure. Probably worth some cash. Too bad

Back