Birthday T-Bones

Tyson

TVWBB Super Fan
It was my GF's B-day yesterday and she wanted some good steak for dinner. Well ask and you shall receive.

We went to Whole Foods, not the norm, to pick out some beef and veggies. We went with some thick T-bones, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and red wine. Whole Foods has some good meat, but you PAY for it! Moving on...

The T-bones after being salted and refrigerated for a few hours.
20131230_182130.jpg

Made a quick rub by grinding up dark roast coffee, salt, paprika, onion powder, fresh black pepper, chipotle chili pepper, and a little tarragon.
20131230_182711.jpg

Applied some oil and rub to the T-bones.
20131230_183119.jpg

With the sweet potatoes in the oven for 45 min already, I put the steaks on the kettle, indirect, with a little mesquite chips. Sorry no pic of the steaks on the grill at this point.

After another 10 minutes. Started the asparagus. EVOO, butter, salt, and pepper. Towards the end I added garlic and walnuts.
20131230_190628.jpg

I decided to start the sear at 100* IT. I wanted to give them a good crust. I sear them with the lid closed, spin 45 degrees, then flip and repeat. About 2-4 minutes per side.
20131230_192016.jpg

I slowly crank up the temp as the steaks are indirect. By this point the thermometer on the lid read about 500*. Closer shot of the searing action. The flash made the coals look dull.
20131230_192021.jpg

Here is a shot of everything on the table. You can't see the flowers I got the GF, but that's OK. :eek:
20131230_193758.jpg

I cut off the edge so you can see how juicy they were. Beefy buttery taste is the best I can describe. Every bite was amazing. There truly is no substitute for good quality meat.
20131230_194157.jpg

These were the first T-bones I grilled. Usually do ribeyes. Every inch was soft and juicy. IT was 125* when I took them off on the big side, 135* on the small (tenderloin?) side. Makes sense I guess. The small side was the best.

The GF never eats all the food on her plate, EVER, but she did last night. I was blown away. Then she went into a food coma.

~Tyson

You guys crack me up with the replies. As for CEO in training, well I feel like the one in training. lol :( Hope she doesn't read this.

Back