"BEYOND MEAT"????

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, guys, it seems like this stuff is really beginning to gain some traction out there with several fast food burger joints having offerings and now it is starting to invade the grocery stores and likely will be a mainstay on regular restaurant menus soon. It seems this stuff is hear to stay unlike the "Soy Burgers" of 30 years ago.

Has anyone tried it yet? What do you think?

I try to stay away from any kind of processed food. No matter if made with meat or not. I have made some good veggie burgers myself and want to try more vegetarian recipes since I want to cut down on meat in general. But all made fresh from scratch.

My oldest was at one time a raging vegan and she requested the beyond/impossible burgers for her and some of her friends at a party we were hosting. I bought 6 patties for around $18. The look, feel, and consistency was creepily similar to beef. The smell, not so much. And, when I first flipped the patties some lost a bit of what I would call almost a shell layer behind, so it didn't completely mimic the physical properties of beef. But, it was similar enough that it was creepy.

No, I didn't taste it, so I can't comment on that. lol

LOL: seems some have a little experience with it, but haven't tried it. That is my case. I have been to a couple burger joints and thought I would give it a shot. But when I get up to the counter, I can't seem to force myself to actually order one.

Well, I believe there was an old (not that old) movie with the closing line:
“Soylent Green is....people!”
Edward G. Robinson’s last film “Soylent Green” creepy movie.
I will never get that out of my head nor will I want to even consider “fake meat”!

Thanks for that Chris. Like, you, I would really like to get a hold of a half pound of this stuff and grill it along side of some real beef and see how the two compare. It could be that BK is simply over cooking their offering.

It's too bad you could not actually find the actual uncooked ones in the store and cooked them side by side with actual beef since IMO what BK (and most fast food joints) slap on a bun is not actually beef anyway

Thanks for that Chris. Like, you, I would really like to get a hold of a half pound of this stuff and grill it along side of some real beef and see how the two compare. It could be that BK is simply over cooking their offering.
It must cook differently, because they don't burn the beef whoppers but they do seem to burn or overcook the non-beef ones.

Not going to try it !
And the word “meat” in its description is blasphemy
This thing will not go anywhere near my Weber grills !

Last edited:
Yah, you would think it would priced somewhere competitive with beef, but you could get ground ribeye for less.

Yah, you would think it would priced somewhere competitive with beef, but you could get ground ribeye for less.

Yeah that's what I paid at Sprouts. $18 for 6 patties. Our daughter was moving to LA and this was her going away party, or there's no way I would have got these for her.

I had an Impossible burger at a nice local restaurant a year or so ago, and it was pretty decent. Doubt I'll ever try the BK version, as I have not eaten any of their fake-smoke after-tasting food in many years.

I live in meat eater country, with vegans and vegetarians few and far between. But our local Kroger had a large section of meat substitute products in the "meat" case recently.

It will be interesting to see how it catches on and inevitably improves as the makers learn and work on the products.

Back