Best wood "chunks" from either store or online?

Smokinlicious is my current source for wood. But I have just visited Fruita and Sharpe sites and they look good, too. Bottom line is they give us a chance to experiment with different woods and that’s a good thing. After a couple decades of smoking I settled on cherry, oak and hickory. If you can afford to order wood this way any of these sites will satisfy. Staying away from the big box stores is recommended but not all of us can afford that.

Using Fruita for the first time right now. If the difference in taste is even close to as noticeable as the difference in smell.....

Tough crowd, Smokinlicious puts out an excellent product, I could care less that their website was made by one of grandkids.
Well there website loss me.:oops: Staying with Fruita woods. (y)
Dan

Looks like I’m missing out over here in Manitoba, Canada. All I’ve been able to find locally is Weber chunks. No complaints... but peach smoke?? Dang.

I'm looking for something better than Western brand wood. The large chunks are ok but some are almost too large for my 14.5 WSM. I also find that I get a lot of small scrap pieces. These are OK on my performer but too small for my WSM.

For those of you who tried Fruita how does it compare to Western? The price is a bit more but if more of the product is useable for smoking than that makes up for the price difference.

I should add that I typically smoke with apple, cherry, and hickory in the WSM. Mesquit for burgers and steak on my performer.

Looks like I’m missing out over here in Manitoba, Canada. All I’ve been able to find locally is Weber chunks. No complaints... but peach smoke?? Dang.
I was in the same boat as you here in Edmonton, just had access to box store brands. A little "niche" BBQ store opened up and they carry Canadian Furtado Farms cooking wood. I used their OAK and the smell and tasted were noticeably better. Have you looked at DicksonBBQ.com I know they carry it but I can't remember if they do not ship it or it was to expensive.

UPDATE: DICKSONBBQ.COM only ships the wood chunks and Charcoal to Ontario and Quebec. I have ordered butcher paper from them service was great and free shipping over $100.

All the chunks I have seen locally suck.
They're mostly more aptly described as shards, with a few chunks.
Half the bag is unusable garbage. I'm not going to spend money on that.

I usually buy bags of split sticks, and saw them into chunks as needed.
If I don't feel like getting out the compound miter saw, I just take my Milwaukee sawzall with a pruning blade on it and cut a few up lickety split. Cut it to the size you prefer. When I'm feeling industrious I'll get out the compound miter saw and chop up a whole bag at once.

That's what I have about the box store "common" brands they call them wood chunks but the majority of them are smaller then my finger or larger pieces are 90% bark. Small local store opened up and it carries Frutado Farms logs. I bought a bag of Oak and used the mitre saw and cut 2 fist size pieces (about 3" X 3") and I had good smoke for the majority of the time. At first I thought my smoker was more leaky then usual until I smelt the wood smoke.

Has anyone used Furtado Farms wood?
It might just be local here in Ontario but maybe not. They offer peach wood, I was going to get some, my current favorites are cherry, pecan, apple and hickory. Thoughts on the peach wood is needed as well as the brand if you have used it before. Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone used Furtado Farms wood?
It night just be local here in Ontario but maybe not. They offer peach wood, I was going to get some, my current favorites are cherry, pecan, apple and hickory. Thoughts on the peach wood is needed as well as the brand if you have used it before. Thanks!
Frutado Wood has a Canadian and American location. I'm not sure if they are related or a coincidence. The Canadian version is in Wellesley, Ontario. My parents live about 15 minutes from there and when things loosen up a bit my Dad is going to take a drive and check them out. I have only used the OAK so far. We are looking at some -30 to -40 C weather here in Edmonton for a bit now. Once the temp climbs and bit I think I may go it a bag of fruit wood and try it out.

I'm looking for something better than Western brand wood. The large chunks are ok but some are almost too large for my 14.5 WSM. I also find that I get a lot of small scrap pieces. These are OK on my performer but too small for my WSM.

For those of you who tried Fruita how does it compare to Western? The price is a bit more but if more of the product is useable for smoking than that makes up for the price difference.

I should add that I typically smoke with apple, cherry, and hickory in the WSM. Mesquit for burgers and steak on my performer.
I have not used Western but I bet it is not much different than the other major suppliers, Weber, Kingsford, Brinkmann ...
I purchased from Fruita and I am now a devoted fan. I use to buy Weber or Brinkmann wood from the hardware store. I paid about $7 for a bag which was 340 cu.in. or ~ 4 lbs. Bought the Fruita Original which includes Peach, Apple and Cherry. Three weeks later I purchased Pecan and a little Apricot. The flavor is far superior to what I used before. I recommend trying some and see for yourself. With the U Pick 'Em box you can specify the amount of each variety you want, sort gives you the opportunity to sample a variety without committing to several pounds. FYI I have received two orders and each weighed heavy. Great customer service, the owner Bert answers email and phone calls personnally.

I ordered some Peach and Cherry from Fruita. They also sell huge pre-cut sheets of butcher paper! I am excited to try the peach on some pork!

Putting in an order today, getting some killer hogs GRINGO rub and some vinegar sauce, going to add some of that peach wood to the order. Hopefully it is like cherry but maybe keeps the colour from turning as dark as cherry does.
Also adding a bag of the Weber bricks charcoal....I used some the other day and it works well for longer cooks, lots of ash would be the worst thing I could say about it.

Putting in an order today, getting some killer hogs GRINGO rub and some vinegar sauce, going to add some of that peach wood to the order. Hopefully it is like cherry but maybe keeps the colour from turning as dark as cherry does.
Also adding a bag of the Weber bricks charcoal....I used some the other day and it works well for longer cooks, lots of ash would be the worst thing I could say about it.
Who are you ordering from?

I'm just ordering from Dickson's here in Ontario, they have al the spices I want and have peach chunks from Furtado so I am going to give it a shot.
Are you from Ontario?

I'm just ordering from Dickson's here in Ontario, they have al the spices I want and have peach chunks from Furtado so I am going to give it a shot.
Are you from Ontario?
No...Oregon. But I am trying to find more of the Weber briquettes and have been having a hard time locating any

I just put my whole order through and forgot to add the wood chunks lol......
$170 worth and forgot what I really wanted....I have like 4 bags of other wood at home we will just have to wait and see I guess....

Back