Best wood "chunks" from either store or online?

Josh - CT

TVWBB Member
I only have access to store bought wood chunks. I have been reaching for the Weber branded wood chunks lately and have been finding that these are only slightly bigger than their wood "chips". This has been disappointing to say the least. Kingsford has had better sized chunks, but I wanted to know what else people are doing for commercially bought wood chunks as my options seem pretty limited.

If you get these online, can you share from where and what your experience has been?

Thanks!

+1 on Fruita. Especially for peach and other fruit woods. Mesa County, CO (towns of Fruita, Palisade and Grand Junction) is where Palisade peaches come from. Lots of orchards in that area.

Although make sure you check beyond Lowes and HD.

I started ordering from Fruita after being dissatisfied with Lowes and HD. Then discovered there's a couple of specialty stores BBQ stores within 20-30 miles of here. Plus there's a couple of Ace and outdoor stores that have a big grilling department.

Surprising how much more was available locally once I knew where to look.

Last edited:
However ya get your chunks, the worst way is kiln dried wood from the big box store. It has no moisture. Since I have a stick burner, I have a lot of wood .... pecan, hickory, oak, even some mulberry. And I cut my own chunks. I use a moisture meter and I want my wood to be around 15% to 20% moisture. The big box store chunks are less than 10 % , generally down around 5% . They burn up fast and the smoke they produce is not ideal.

I've never bought from Fruita , but I believe they will tell you the moisture content of the wood. Its worth spending money on wood, that's not an area to go cheap.

All the chunks I have seen locally suck.
They're mostly more aptly described as shards, with a few chunks.
Half the bag is unusable garbage. I'm not going to spend money on that.

I usually buy bags of split sticks, and saw them into chunks as needed.
If I don't feel like getting out the compound miter saw, I just take my Milwaukee sawzall with a pruning blade on it and cut a few up lickety split. Cut it to the size you prefer. When I'm feeling industrious I'll get out the compound miter saw and chop up a whole bag at once.

Just ordered 7 lbs of peach chunks. Look great in the bag a little pricey but peach is impossible to find in the Northeast. I will comment when I use them.

I bought some apple chunks on Amazon that were fine - I think they are Western brand. There are plenty of large chunks in the bag.

I see several people like Fruita and western slope of Colorado has appeal. Has anyone tried Daley Smoken Wood (daleysmokenwood.com) also western slope, or Flame Grilling Products (flamegrillingproducts.com) from Main? Trying to up my game from big box store and kiln dried wood.

After reading this I'm going to check out Fruita, that being said I'm a huge fan of this place:

Small, family owned, awesome products. Seriously recommend every one check them out.

After reading this I'm going to check out Fruita, that being said I'm a huge fan of this place:

Small, family owned, awesome products. Seriously recommend every one check them out.
That's the only place I order from, great product from the heartwood with a moisture content posted on shipment. But they only offer wild cherry..
I'm also gonna check out Fruita for other fruit woods.

Smokinlicious web site is night mare to navigate. I'll pass. Daleysmokenwood.com $25.00 shipping for a $28 order, another pass.
Fruita here I come once again!!! (y) flamegrillingproducts.com free shipping :) but no peach wood.

Dan

Last edited:
Smokinlicious web site is night mare to navigate.
Yea what's up with that?
It's been well over a year since I placed my last order, but back then it was a well organized relatively easy site to place a order..
I got a headache just trying today, so I gave up..

Tough crowd, Smokinlicious puts out an excellent product, I could care less that their website was made by one of grandkids.

Back