Best way to do multiple ribs on a 22.5 kettle?

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Hello Everyone - I just did St. Louis spareribs recently for the first time and they were such a hit that my friends are clamoring to come over and eat some.

I'm going to make them again but I am wondering what is the best way to do multiple ribs. I have a Weber Rib rack, but I hear that it isn't great to pack them in there, they will cook much slower.

I have the Smokenator and did not buy the Hovergrill, because I was like, no way am I ever going to be making that much ribs for anybody. But maybe that is something I should look into

Any tips? I've been doing two racks of ribs at a time laid out on the cool side of the grill.

Thank you!

Laura

I have seen where people have stacked ribs on top of each other and rotated them during the cooking process. I have never tried it so I can't tell you how they turn out.

I would use the rib racks. ...or you could get a replacement rack for an 18" and use some bricks to elevate it above the 22" grill. Put some ribs on bottom and some on top rotating the top to bottom throughout the cook.

I would recommend getting the Hover Rack if you get a chance. I use it when making multiple racks of ribs since I can put some on the main grate and then some on the Hover rack. I have also seen people do what John said. Stack them if need be but make sure to rotate them throughout the cook.

Laura, I've seen others here use the rib rack and theirs look fine. You have it why not use it. I have one but haven't cooked ribs in awhile, just the three of us. What don't kill you only makes you stronger :)

How many racks are you talking about? I've done up to six racks on the top deck using a rib rack. I've found no difference in time cooking 1 rack or 6 racks....6 pork butts was a different story. The one thing I would suggest is try to limit the contact the ribs make with each other.

Laura;
I use a Weber OTG with a rack. I use two firebricks to keep the fire in one third of the grill (one chimney full of unlit coals, 12 coals lit evenly distributed ala Minion Method). I can do four or five racks of baby backs or four or five half racks of St Louis cut. I rotate one time before the last hour so they cook evenly.

Mine is certainly not the only way but it is a GOOD way to go.

Dale53

I picked up two stainless steel steaming racks in the asian section of the local restaurant supply store. They have different sizes and fold out legs that works great on the WSM and my OTG.

Best way? Here's mine.....

ribs35hrscooking3N.jpg

ribs35hrscooking2N.jpg

I use a rib rack all the time and have good results. I have also seen people roll the racks and ping them together with bamboo skewers. Just don't overlap the ends.

On my 22" if I'm doing 2 I'll do them side by side, flat. If I'm doing more I'll use a rack. I have two Weber racks - one holds 4, one holds 5. One's the heavy duty rack or something like that. They work the same. I've done up to six - four on top, two on the bottom. No noticeable change in timing, the only trick is don't assume they'll all be done at the same time. I did mind for my daughter's birthday and it was perfect - ribs kept dribbling out of the smoker over the course of an hour or so, faster than they could eat them. I would have no hesitation to fill both racks if I had to.

Back