Best way to clean your WSM??

Kevin Ori

Hey guys, I am just wondering how everyone else cleans there WSM? I have used it a couple times now and so far the best way I found to clean the grates is by spraying with oven cleaner and just hosing off outside. But the big question is how or even if i should clean the inside walls of the smoker?? I have a little bit of OCD and I'm use to over cleaning everything. But the last thing i want is my next rack of ribs to taste like cleaner! lol! Any help will be very much appreciated!

Kevin

My suggestion is to not clean the inside of the WSM. You can clean the bottom part of the lid once it starts getting gunked up but that will take a while.

Hi Kevin,

There are as many different approaches to cleaning as there are WSM owners. I've written this article which describes your options:

Cleanup, Maintenance and Storage

The first two headings "Cleanup Before Cooking" and "Cleanup After Cooking" list the steps I think you should take. The rest of the article describes your options for each individual step, like options for cleaning grates, options for disposing of water, etc.

I never clean the inside walls of the cooker, I just brush them off before each cook to remove any loose material.

Have fun!
Chris

My suggestion is to not clean the inside of the WSM. You can clean the bottom part of the lid once it starts getting gunked up but that will take a while.

Ditto what Scott said....
After a cook I put my grates over the charcoal ring and only use a grill brush to clean.

Regarding the cooking grates for my 22, I just stick them in the dishwasher under heavy duty & santize wash. About 1/2 way through, I pull them out and by then the gunk is falling off. I take a sponge with the scruber material on one side, and just wipe everything quickly, then stick them back in for the rest of the cycle. They come out brand new.

Last edited:
Regarding the cooking grates for my 22, I just stick them in the dishwasher under heavy duty & santize wash. About 1/2 way through, I pull them out and by then the gunk is falling off. I take a sponge with the suber material on one side, and just wipe everything quickly, then stick them back in for the rest of the cycle. They come out brand new.

Wow! I just use a grill brush.

I recently picked up one of these to clean my grates, and get all the built up gunk that seems to linger around the edges of the grate.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NNJ7DK/?tag=TVWB-20

I'll fill it with hot water and dish soap to let the grates soak. Then just run a grill brush over the grates. They came out looking pretty new afterwards.

Bonus is I'll fill it with ice and use it for chilling drinks at party's.

Wow! I just use a grill brush.

It's really not that big of a deal. I typically clean them the next day, and let them go while I'm doing something else. I wait until after a load of dishes gets done, and run them by themselves before the next load of dishes. No biggie.

Now what will really blow your mind is, I also toss in the Maverick and DX2 probes too, in the cutlery shelf. Those too come out like new every time as well. I just let them set out on the counter for a day afterwards or so before using and they are fine. Might eventually shorten the lives but 12 - 15 cycles so far, and no problems at all.

I like keeping my stuff like new. Don't get me started on my Harley toothbrush!

Next time, I might even run the charcoal grate. j/k ;^)

Last edited:
Clean my WSM??? Nope, that would take away all the smokey good smell. keep the outside spotless, the cooking grate gets a quick hit with a brush before each cook when it's reached 225. Cleaning the inside of a WSM will upset the BBQ Gods and cause bad BBQ Mojo, don't risk it.

Clean my WSM??? Nope, that would take away all the smokey good smell. keep the outside spotless, the cooking grate gets a quick hit with a brush before each cook when it's reached 225. Cleaning the inside of a WSM will upset the BBQ Gods and cause bad BBQ Mojo, don't risk it.
+1 :D I do the same, dont touch the inside at all just a quick wipedown on the outside/grates.

It's really not that big of a deal. I typically clean them the next day, and let them go while I'm doing something else. I wait until after a load of dishes gets done, and run them by themselves before the next load of dishes. No biggie.

Now what will really blow your mind is, I also toss in the Maverick and DX2 probes too, in the cutlery shelf. Those too come out like new every time as well. I just let them set out on the counter for a day afterwards or so before using and they are fine. Might eventually shorten the lives but 12 - 15 cycles so far, and no problems at all.

I like keeping my stuff like new. Don't get me started on my Harley toothbrush!

Next time, I might even run the charcoal grate. j/k ;^)

That makes me feel guilty. :( ^^^I do what Carlos and Bryon do. ^^^

Last edited:
I never said anything about cleaning the insides, you 3 crazy old hens! Surely, keeping the cooking grates clean ain't gonna funk up anyone's Karma or Mojo, right? :p

Back