Best Lump Gun in the West

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Poj6INH.jpg

Tried out one of these Grill Blazer Grill Guns. They cost a little coin so are they worth it? Yes, yes & yes it is. I'd never have lite JD Lump as fast as the Grill Gun can do it. Says it can produce up to 400,000 BTU's. I wouldn't doubt it. It really works well with JD Lump because that charcoal does not throw sparks & hot chunks all over the place. USA Lump with this gun your gonna get lit up like a 4th of July sparkler. I'm sure that this would work well on briquettes, most of them do not spark off. This gun is just as fast as gas if you want to crank it. It will be really nice in colder weather because it is so much faster. Oh & the stand holds the bigger round bottles as seen in the picture or it adjusts to fit the longer thinner bottles. Very smart. Some people use these to sear their food, not me though. Any one else using one? If so what do you think? I be loving mine. Should have bought one a few years ago.
Cheers,
Russ

Poj6INH.jpg

Tried out one of these Grill Blazer Grill Guns. They cost a little coin so are they worth it? Yes, yes & yes it is. I'd never have lite JD Lump as fast as the Grill Gun can do it. Says it can produce up to 400,000 BTU's. I wouldn't doubt it. It really works well with JD Lump because that charcoal does not throw sparks & hot chunks all over the place. USA Lump with this gun your gonna get lit up like a 4th of July sparkler. I'm sure that this would work well on briquettes, most of them do not spark off. This gun is just as fast as gas if you want to crank it. It will be really nice in colder weather because it is so much faster. Oh & the stand holds the bigger round bottles as seen in the picture or it adjusts to fit the longer thinner bottles. Very smart. Some people use these to sear their food, not me though. Any one else using one? If so what do you think? I be loving mine. Should have bought one a few years ago.
Cheers,
Russ
I recently bought a similar product.

How long to light a chimney size of JD with your flame thrower? Just curious.

I can get a chimney of JD fully engulfed in 10 mins with bacon grease in a napkin. So I’m trying to understand what this does better or more? Thanks.

How long to light a chimney size of JD with your flame thrower? Just curious.

I can get a chimney of JD fully engulfed in 10 mins with bacon grease in a napkin. So I’m trying to understand what this does better or more? Thanks.
Starting a charcoal snake or lighting fuel added during a cook are quick and easy with these things. No need to fire up a chimney for just a few pieces of charcoal. Starting pellets in a smoke tube is a lot faster too. Great for lighting wood fires in my Santa Maria or a fire pit. They also work well for quickly searing meat, caramelizing sugars and melting cheese. I will also use it for torching weeds growing in concrete seams. Will still be using my chimney to light larger quantities of charcoal. Would I have bought one just for lighting charcoal? Absolutely not!

Thank you. All the other uses don’t really apply to my use/cook/activities profile. Appreciate the detailed reply. This helps a lot.
I have a much less powerful one Brett and I'll use it occasionally. Most common use lighting coal is a transition from low heat to searing. I've got a long tip one and I can reach coal not lit through the flip up while food is on the grate.

I also use it to fire roast peppers.

I think mine is more like 40 thousand BTU vs 400 thousand and a one pound canister lasts me about a year.

I have a much less powerful one Brett and I'll use it occasionally. Most common use lighting coal is a transition from low heat to searing. I've got a long tip one and I can reach coal not lit through the flip up while food is on the grate.

I think mine is more like 40 thousand BTU vs 400 thousand and a one pound canister lasts me about a year.
I’ve just never had a need to light coals when already cooking. I do my peppers over JD and then steam them for roasted peppers. I have my small torch which I use for aburi fish.

I’ve melted cheese with it and have added toast to bread with it.

I just think I’ll start a fence or forest fire with that fire gun. Likely overkill for my needs.

I’ve become a simpleton when I cook (so I tell myself). And we’ve started the purge at home for downsizing. Trying to not buy anything now.

Last edited:

Left that one out in my response to Brett. I will definitely be using mine to roast some peppers soon.

Well, as far as taking 10 minutes to light charcoal in a chimney with bacon grease & napkin this gun will do that in 60 seconds. In the grill your using you don't have to pick up the chimney charcoal & dump it in the grill hoping that you don't spill any hot pieces. I haven't used a chimney starter in many years. Just like & haven't used lighter fluid in many years. And will never use lighter fluid again. The grill gun worked great this morning when I lit my M1 stick burner off @ 6am. There was a little lump in it & a couple small pieces of hickory. Couple of minutes lump & wood was up & burning in no time. The heavy steel M1 was ready for the brisket @ 6;30. Outstanding. The grill gun delivers the BTU's that you need to get things going. As far as adding lump to a grill, I never light it to add to the charcoal. I just throw extra pieces in as needed. Never have had one problem doing it this way. Once again fastest lump lighter on the market. When you get to my age you appreciate that stuff. It will also work great for camp fires, heating pipes & whatever you can think of. If you don't like the little bottles you can hook it to a 20 lb bottle. I think it was money well spent.
Cheers,
Russ

Russ, i hope my comments didn't come across wrong. I like my weed burner, and I would probably like a grill blazer ten times as much.

( 400,000 / 40,000 = 10)

Russ, i hope my comments didn't come across wrong. I like my weed burner, and I would probably like a grill blazer ten times as much.

( 400,000 / 40,000 = 10)
No, your words didn't come across wrong. I like all opinions. I'm just saying that when you light your charcoals in the grill that you are grilling in as soon as the charcoals start getting warm the grill warms up too. In a chimney the only thing that gets warm in the chimney is the charcoals & the chimney. By lighting it in the grill the grill gets hot way faster. Its just a matter of time & hw you prefer to do it.
Its all guud in the end.

Better late then never, I purchased mine back in 2019. As a gun enthusiast, I purchased through the "Grill Gun" Kickstarter Campaign, $99 delivered at the time. I use it primarily for my fire pit, but it is also a great conversation piece when friends are over to enjoy some outdoor cooking.

Back