Best Grill Ever?

Unless you're burning briquettes it's not coal. (as in harmful dinosaur remains). Lump is real wood not binders, chemicals, actual coal and some sawdust.

I'm wondering which grills people think are the best ever made. Another way to frame the question is if you could have any grill, today, brand new in its box, free of charge, which one would you want? Not to sell but for personal use so let's add that you can't sell it. It has to replace your current grill to become your one-and-only and you'll need to keep it for at least 10 years.
I've owned our favorite gas grill since 1987. It's an original / rare Weber Genesis XXI purchased 35 years ago. I used it for the first time in years last night. It worked surprisingly well cooking a lousy frozen pizza heated to 425º for 20 minutes. It was 26ºF on our patio, where its been stored, clean and safely, under its genuine Weber cover. It cost me $340 in December 1987. I wonder if I can find sufficient genuine parts to keep it going for another 35 years.

Weber is a great name, but I doubt today's best models will keep going for so long as this rare Genesis model. Nowhere on this site can I find reference to a XXI model.

I've owned our favorite gas grill since 1987. It's an original / rare Weber Genesis XXI purchased 35 years ago. I used it for the first time in years last night. It worked surprisingly well cooking a lousy frozen pizza heated to 425º for 20 minutes. It was 26ºF on our patio, where its been stored, clean and safely, under its genuine Weber cover. It cost me $340 in December 1987. I wonder if I can find sufficient genuine parts to keep it going for another 35 years.

Weber is a great name, but I doubt today's best models will keep going for so long as this rare Genesis model. Nowhere on this site can I find reference to a XXI model.
Sig: Is that the old two burner Genesis....the predecessor of the Genesis Jr?

Sig: Is that the old two burner Genesis....the predecessor of the Genesis Jr?
That's what I think. Genesis XXI is printed on cover of manual.

I have the original operators manual with serial number SL1-044104. Inside the manual is original receipt from Swallen's Cincinnati dated 12/1/1987. Even though it appears to work well and safely, I would like to replace critical parts like regulator and fuel line. The two valves work fairly well after WD40 soaked around the valve stems for a couple of minutes. The fire box and lid are in good condition. The temp gauge is newly replaced. Replaced all of the flavor bars/grill grates over the years. The frame was wire brushed down to metal to refinish about 1999, so time to clean of rust and refinish. Teak wood is weathered but easy to clean/sand and refinish with teak oil. All the parts are there.

The manual contains complete part numbers, including the LP fuel hose and regulator. However, I think the outlet end of the hose has to be crimped onto the inlet of the burner / manifold. I think I see late replacement LP hose with a mail thread connection to burner.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks for your response.

Sig, the one you want to talk to on that grill is Jon Tofte. He has a couple of them and is pretty knowledgeable on them. He would love to discuss your grill as well. Having the original owners manual and receipt is awesome. How much did it cost new?
He can probably give you some info on sourcing any parts you need. I think for the burners, you have to modify a set of regular Genesis burners but cutting out a piece and welding them back together which some have done successfully. Most of the consumable parts for those grills are just not made by anyone any longer.
Private message Jon Tofte and let him know what you have. Tell him Bruce sent ya.

Sig,

WELCOME to TVWBB!

Thanks for posting about your XXI. I, too, have one - a black hood - that still works perfectly. It must have lead a charmed life out of the elements and not abused. My manual says "Weber Genesis XXI L.P. Gas Owner's Manual." The serial number is scratched off, but it is still readable on the grill: SL2 47333.

As you said, it's amazing how these classics have lasted for 35 years. I am not sure a new one can be counted on to last 35 months!

I know a number of us would love to see you post pictures of your XXI. Particularly, it would be nice to see the wood slates used, the fuel gauge, and the igniter switch. I would be interested to see if your igniter has a label. I have in my possession parts from a very old grill of this model. The plate where the igniter switch is inserted has no "Igniter" decal or any evidence there ever was one. I am thinking that maybe when the grill first came out, there wasn't one.

This my XXI/Jr. that friend and fellow member Bruce sourced for me all the way from Minneapolis!

IMG_6939.jpeg
These pictures were at last summer's TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet where we put it through its paces and did a comparison of GrillGrates and an "rcplanebuyer"/Dave Santana grate - and mostly enjoyed cooking and eating!
IMG_6964.JPG

Sig,

WELCOME to TVWBB!

Thanks for posting about your XXI. I, too, have one - a black hood - that still works perfectly. It must have lead a charmed life out of the elements and not abused. My manual says "Weber Genesis XXI L.P. Gas Owner's Manual." The serial number is scratched off, but it is still readable on the grill: SL2 47333.

As you said, it's amazing how these classics have lasted for 35 years. I am not sure a new one can be counted on to last 35 months!

I know a number of us would love to see you post pictures of your XXI. Particularly, it would be nice to see the wood slates used, the fuel gauge, and the igniter switch. I would be interested to see if your igniter has a label. I have in my possession parts from a very old grill of this model. The plate where the igniter switch is inserted has no "Igniter" decal or any evidence there ever was one. I am thinking that maybe when the grill first came out, there wasn't one.

This my XXI/Jr. that friend and fellow member Bruce sourced for me all the way from Minneapolis!

View attachment 43548
These pictures were at last summer's TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet where we put it through its paces and did a comparison of GrillGrates and an "rcplanebuyer"/Dave Santana grate - and mostly enjoyed cooking and eating!
View attachment 43549

I think what would keep me from exploring charcoal is knowing the environmental impact of burning coal and the fact that, once lit, there's no way to shut it down. Even if you're just cooking a single burger, all that charcoal has to burn out. Feels terribly wasteful.
My Mastertouch and the OT Kettle both are good about dousing the fire once you close the vents.

For sure it's not the same as shutting gas, but you can reuse a good amount of charcoal. Using things like Vortex or charcoal baskets can help too as you're focusing the fire so need less fuel.

I'm firmly in the charcoal camp, but do appreciate the less mess gas offers.

Wood and wood products release the same exact amount of CO2 whether they burn or rot, so I don't feel like burning coal is any worse than burning, say, natural gas or propane. Plus, NG and propane are fossil fuels. Since charcoal is a wood byproduct, I guess that makes it more environmentally friendly, but instead of saying environmentally friendly a more accurate description would be that charcoal is not a fossil fuel based heat source, while NG and propane are.

I guess to be environmentally correct we will have to wait for the solar powered Weber grill. Should be out in 2035.

My Mastertouch and the OT Kettle both are good about dousing the fire once you close the vents.

For sure it's not the same as shutting gas, but you can reuse a good amount of charcoal. Using things like Vortex or charcoal baskets can help too as you're focusing the fire so need less fuel.

I'm firmly in the charcoal camp, but do appreciate the less mess gas offers.

My dad was such a charcoal miser that he would drop the briquettes in water to extinguish them, immediately pull them out, then lay them in the sun to dry for the next cook.

My dad was such a charcoal miser that he would drop the briquettes in water to extinguish them, immediately pull them out, then lay them in the sun to dry for the next cook.
I'm surprised they didn't fall apart! Two thumbs up for your dad! Waste not, want not.

Hello JT, Thanks for your response. I don't recall having black as a color choice. I regularly check out new Weber models at the hardware store. Our XXI's were designed/built simple and rugged. Not so today. The XXI was followed by the wider model a year or two later, a big seller right away. It must been around then Weber changed the name to Jr, perhaps to distinguish from large model. Not too much later on, Jr was discontinued. I think the large model must have been a big boost popularizing the Weber brand.

I'll post photos of the restoration. The ignition switch hasn't worked in decades. I light with kitchen match thru factory punch out hole. I suppose I'll replace switch, but it's fun to light with match :cool: . As for igniter sticker, there is a horizontal 4 inch sticker surrounding the button. I painted over it when I restored in the late 90's. I'll attempt to pull the paint off to see what sticker says. The fuel gauge is painted over. Scale housing spring assembly rusty, but salvageable. Burner tubes show light coat of rust, which has arrested further corrosion. No visible thin or worn thru spots in metal. Rubber regulator line is air tight. Regulator and two flame valves are normal. Teak wood original and perfect, wood framing is surface rusted. Easy to restore. Same with the 1" iron box frame - surface rust and nothing structural. I'll replace the burners and rubber regulator line with new, IF available. However, the grill works safe and perfect, as is. I think I may need a special fuel line crimp tool to fit new line to burner bar. I'll repaint frame and sheet metal with black rust proof paint. Aluminum fire box is perfect, red enameled lid iperfect, inside and out.

Can you please comment on original burner and rubber fuel regulator line parts availability. Also, am I correct about crimp-to-burner union point, or is it a male brass thread fitting?

I can see why Weber no longer makes grills this way, re. high cost. We're lucky they make many replacement parts as direct fit, or easily modified to fit.

All this stuff is just my opinion. Interesting to know what you and others think and know for fact.

Sig,
Not sure about what you mean about a larger model. I think you may be referring to the full-size 3-burner Genesis. As I understand it, the small 2-burner grill that we each have, first came out as the "XX" and "XXI" (I don't know what the difference was), but after a few years the name was changed to "Jr." which is what most people know it as. The Jr. lived on to 1990 for sure, because it appears in the 1990 catalog we have here. After that, Weber redesigned the the 2-burner model to a more "normal" shape, wider than the Jr. but not as deep front to back. This model had many names over the years including Spirit and Silver A.

The XX/XXI/Jr. came in red, brown and black hoods.

It sounds like you have a little bit of restoration work to do, but these old classics are worth it! On your control panel, some paint stripper should readily take off the paint and get you back to the original porcelain. On the igniter decal, if you want a replacement, I make replica decals of that and the tank gauge.

Parts are scarce for the Jr. Some people have had success having the readily available Genesis burners cut down to size and then flattened and welded at the end. You might be able to adapt flavorizer bars from an older Genesis but shortening the left to right ones.

I will let those who know about gas fittings like @LMichaels answer your question about that stuff. I will just say you can readily replace the regulator and hose with a new set. The manifold should be able to be sanded and repainted. The valves can be lubricated if needed.

Best wishes on bringing that XXI back to it original charm. I hope you can post pictures even "as is" to chronicle your efforts.

Back