Best foiled no water set up for 18.5" WSM (new style, old style, clay, brinkman pan)

Charlie L

TVWBB Super Fan
Best foiled no water set up for 18.5" WSM (new style, old style, clay, brinkman pan)

I just got a new WSM and i want to go without water in the pan to make easier clean up and not waste fuel heating water.
Without Water the pan is merely a diffuser Correct? I have a Pitmaster IQ 110 so that will help regulate temps.

What is the best Waterless set up?

- New Style Water Pan Empty & Foiled? This is what my WSM Came with. This will be close to the coals, will that help or hurt?

- Brinkman Pan Empty & Foiled? I know people used this for more water capacity then the old style pan. I happen to have one in the garage. Any benefits?

- Old Style Water Pan Empty & Foiled? I don’t have one per se, but I do have an extra Smokey Joe Lid that I could use foiled with the handle removed which is essentially the same as the old pan. I can likely find one online if it there’s a significant advantage

- Clay Saucer Empty & Foiled? I know some folks use these in place of Water pan as a heat sink/diffuser. Does the heat absorption affect the fuel usage adversely? Are there other advantages or disadvantages? What is the best size?

Make life easy and just remove the whole pan. You are correct. The pan is a defussior. I understand you got a new toy and your super excited. Everything you listed will yield the same result in the end. The WSM is very simple and effective design. Don't try to over think it or it will wreck your fun. If you are worried about fuel lost heating up water. Just bring your water to a boil first on the stove then add after your pit has reached temp. With a full basket, Your WSM will run 12-14 hrs(see basket mods) with the 110 in winter temps. I always encourage people to learn the WSM with out the pan. Once you learn it the pan makes life easy. Pretty much set it and forget it. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Make life easy and just remove the whole pan. I understand you got a new toy and your super excited. Everything you listed will yield the same result in the end. The WSM is very simple and effective design. Don't try to over think it or it will wreck your fun. If you are worried about fuel lost heating up water. Just bring your water to a boil first on the stove then add after your pit has reached temp. With a full basket, Your WSM will run 12-14 hrs(see basket mods) with the 110 in winter temps. I always encourage people to learn the WSM with out the pan. Once you learn it the pan makes life easy. Pretty much set it and forget it. Hope this helps

UDS style directly over coals? Does dripping on coals cause flare ups or other issues?

No. It's high enough above the fuel. At temps around 250ish. Your heat source it just a little smoldering fire. Not enough to cause any flair ups

What is the best Waterless set up?
That's a trick question, you almost have to try various set ups to so see what works for you

I don't use water, I use two clay saucers in my bowl. I put one in upside down, then one on top right side up and then I foil it up (to keep them clean) All I accomplish by putting the saucers in, is keeping the pit stable, as the bowl + the two saucers absorb / deflect the heat that otherwise would hit my cook at full power.

This is my set up

1AE2FE10-A29F-4280-8CE7-35BCA8EF781A_zpsrdxn41wj.jpg

F499E6CA-4BD9-4506-A986-1031584F2839_zpsueotca0u.jpg

56F3F712-39F4-435B-9994-E6767116C4DF_zpstcvolfbg.jpg

I made a Piedmont Pan and do not use foil. I run it dry when needed like for poultry, and with water for other things. I just feel like foiling the pan every time wastes a lot of foil and don't see a reason that the pan needs to be squeaky clean. I just scrape out the majority of the residue with a putty knife and call it good.

I use a clay saucer wrapped with two or three layers of foil. I just peel the top layer off after a cook and I'm ready to go again. I don't use the water pan at all anymore as it just seems to get in the way if I want to add fuel or wood. And emptying the water from the pan is icky. There's no right way or wrong way as long as your way works for you. Have fun with your new cooker and enjoy your BBQ rewards!

Back