Best Cut Of Beef To Use For Pulled Beef?

Michael M.

TVWBB Fan
I know a chuck eye roast is great for this although sometimes hard to come by it seems in the Bay Area. Thoughts?

:wsm:

I would think that a standard full chuck roast would work. Doesn't Costco have those?

-- Mache

@ Mache yes they do. Looking for alternatives.
@Bill: I will start the skinning :). Yeah, you don't want to shred a brisket..... :)

I use 7-bone chuck roasts or pot roasts a lot cause they are relatively cheap and easy to come by.
Last one I did was a big ole bugger and pulled quite easily.
20130521_140050

On my to-do list is a Chuck Roll.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html
If you can find one, I would try that.:wsm:

Tim

I just suggested in another thread to shrewd a brisket if it was over done. Chuck roast works about the best it has the required fat content for a l&s cook.

I've had pulled brisket - it was awesome. It's kinda expensive around here so I'd go for the chuck IMHO.

Last edited:
Pulled brisket is ok of course. True. :) Last one I did I didn't shred anything but put some aside and chopped/cubed it and used it as the meat base for my chili recipe. Very tasty.

Have done pulled beef twice since I got my WSM this spring-- used chuck roasts both times. In each instance I found it to be very flavorful, and very easy to pull/shred. Plan on doing one this upcoming weekend, actually!

I use 7-bone chuck roasts or pot roasts a lot cause they are relatively cheap and easy to come by.
Last one I did was a big ole bugger and pulled quite easily.
20130521_140050

Tim

when I was first married (and dirt poor) we would buy the 7 bone chuck on sale for about a buck a pound. And we would grill it like it was steak (which it surely wasn't) . It had decent beef flavor , but it would wear you out chewing it! We gave up on it years ago....but now that I'm learning to BBQ. I may have to seek out one of these bad boys and make some pulled beef! I would love to find one that size to make it worthwhile .

I usually use a chuck roast, but sometimes our meat market has what they call an English roast on sale. It looks similar to a chuck roast but with a little less fat. Shreds up real nice. I like them for making Italian beef sammies.

Michael, get thyself to the nearest Cash & Carry restaurant supply. Locations in SF, Oakland, San Jose, and Santa Rosa. Buy a chuck roll and follow this article: Chuck Roll. See photo #8 for the result.

You can also try Smart & Final. Just call ahead to these places to make sure they have chuck roll in stock.

Thanks Chris!! I read through the article using the chuck roll which is really what I'm after since I know individual portions will freeze well too for any number of things. Smart and Final in Hayward went to the larger style store and their meat section stayed the same size and has a worse selection in some ways. Weird. I shall get myself to the nearest Cash & Carry Shoppee :)

:wsm:

Back