Best cash back credit cards.

Everyone should have the Costco Executive membership. It costs $60 more. You get 2% back on your Costco purchases plus a few other benefits. What most people do not understand is that if you do not earn at least $60 in rewards, Costco will credit you $60 anyway all you do is ask. You have nothing to lose.
Executive is $120 IIRC. My executive cash back is usually in excess of $250. And the Visa card is a fairly good sized check. It’s large enough to pay for a 7 day cruise for wife and I, balcony cabin for 7-8 days.

No other card is sending me on vacation every year. No other retailer is giving me a nice discount either.

Anybody that thinks a credit card is giving something that you haven't paid for has lost it.
How many merchants offer you a discount for cash if you ask? Gas pumps have a cash/credit difference of 2-3 cents a gallon. With my Costco card I get 4% back, and at $4/gal, it amounts to a 16 cent discount. If you live in California, you get a lot more.

How many merchants offer you a discount for cash if you ask? Gas pumps have a cash/credit difference of 2-3 cents a gallon. With my Costco card I get 4% back, and at $4/gal, it amounts to a 16 cent discount. If you live in California, you get a lot more.
$5.49 for premium, 4% cash back is $0.22 off per gallon. filled up with 13 gallons $2.85 off per tank X 30 tank fills a year (average) is $85.64 cash back on my car alone. wife drives more and uses more gas. AND Costco has the lowest pump prices in our region. So how am I paying more using the Costco credit card as @Mike - LA suggests? I'm listening......

considering i HAVE to buy gas during the year, why NOT get a benefit (cash back) in doing so AND paying the lowest pump prices around?

$5.49 for premium, 4% cash back is $0.22 off per gallon. filled up with 13 gallons $2.85 off per tank X 30 tank fills a year (average) is $85.64 cash back on my car alone. wife drives more and uses more gas. AND Costco has the lowest pump prices in our region. So how am I paying more using the Costco credit card as @Mike - LA suggests? I'm listening......

considering i HAVE to buy gas during the year, why NOT get a benefit (cash back) in doing so AND paying the lowest pump prices around?
Yep, now if you could just get back that extra $1000 more the gas cost this year.

They’re not in business to do you favors at no cost to you. Play with snakes long enough and you’ll get bit. Theirs are the big buildings you see. What’s in your wallet? Not the card to furnish those buildings.

Last edited:
They’re not in business to do you favors at no cost to you. Play with snakes long enough and you’ll get bit. Theirs are the big buildings you see. What’s in your wallet? Not the card to furnish those buildings.
until you offer up a better way to save on shopping AND get cash back, your point is bunk. sorry. i have to buy food to live, gas to drive and vacations to remain sane. i refuse to live under a rock. but thanks. i'll take my cash back, no interest, and the best prices for products i need around.

Amex gives 3 percent on groceries.

Sometimes Amazon has a matching deal.

otherwise +1 to everything else you wrote.
i'm a trained monkey. i shop for food at winco and costco. we don't buy "groceries" at any other local store(s). maybe TJs on occasion but not enough $$ to warrant a change in new cards or buying habits.

until you offer up a better way to save on shopping AND get cash back, your point is bunk. sorry. i have to buy food to live, gas to drive and vacations to remain sane. i refuse to live under a rock. but thanks. i'll take my cash back, no interest, and the best prices for products i need around.
Man it’s ok. They have to have y’all to survive. It’s ok you never carry a balance 😆. ✌🏻

Absolutely. But that is true for any business. The end consumer pays for everything, all those big and small buildings including our government(which does not earn anything) and free services. I do not get anything back from anyone except my credit card companies.

Some stats:

Average American credit card debt: $5,525
State with the highest average credit card debt: Alaska ($7,089)
State with the lowest average credit card debt: Wisconsin ($4,587)
Generation X has average credit card debt of $7,236, the most of any generation.
Higher income corresponds to higher average credit card balances, but consumers in the middle income brackets are the most likely to have credit card debt.
Credit card interest rates have been rising, and the average rate is now 16.2% on interest-bearing accounts.
Total U.S. credit card debt is $787 billion.

SOURCE : https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/credit-card-debt-statistics/

Does the Costco card have an annual fee? We just bought a washer and dryer there last week and upgraded to executive in the process. The beauty of that was there's only 3 months left on my current membership so they charged a prorated $15 for the upgrade.

If you buy at Amazon they have a card that credits your account for purchases at, you guessed it, Amazon. 5% at Amazon, 2% at at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores and 1% for all others.

Does the Costco card have an annual fee? We just bought a washer and dryer there last week and upgraded to executive in the process. The beauty of that was there's only 3 months left on my current membership so they charged a prorated $15 for the upgrade.
No.

No and the credit card extended the manufacturer warranty too for no extra charge.

Brett,
Looking to book a trip with Costco and I’m going to upgrade my membership to executive, any tips on maximizing the savings.
Thanks
Bruno,

I have a couple cards but use Discover alot and love it for traveling. You can inform them ahead of your trip and set up spending limits so they watch for your cars being stolen. Very handy as my wife travels to S Korea every few years.
Cash back is good and security even better.

Back