Bequeathed Weber Genesis Silver C LP

IsaacB

Hey all! Long time 24 hour lurker, first time member, proud new inheritor of a Weber Genesis Silver C!

This grill seems to be in decent shape, but definitely could use a good cleaning. The flavorizer bars were completely shot, and fell apart upon picking up. Ordered, and will be here Saturday. I also bought a new grill cover, it's been covered, but the one on it is so stiff and rigid (plastic is cracking) that it needs something new.

There was a rats nest of what appeared to be dirt and other stuff in the grease tray, but the catch seems clean. I imagine a wire brush on the inside will be enough to get it good.

Questions:
I'm planning on scraping the cast iron grates once my brush comes in the mail, but was considering soaking them in Coke, or maybe Vinegar and Baking Soda to make them easier to clean?

There are some white spots on the outside (is that rust, hard water?) that a rag and wipe down don't seem to get off. Any clues?

The inside of the grill lid had some flaking paint, but it brushed out/cleaned up, and I don't think I need to do anything else, wrong assumption?

Pretty much presuming a good cleaning here is all I'll probably need, but love the idea of "restoring it" or painting the lid cover

49280235997_6b226ab318_k.jpg

49280033531_1863bf1cc5_k.jpg

Isaac,
Welcome to TVWBB!

A couple of quick notes: You can find tons of helpful information in these threads grouped under one "sticky" at the beginning of this section:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78...ad-Index-The-most-popular-threads-listed-here

What you are calling pealing paint on the inside of the hood is actually carbon scaling adhering to the porcelain inside that looks just like black paint pealing off. You can wash that all off with Simple Green, a razor scraper (use carefully, but works wonders) and with 0000 fine steel wool (not Brillo, etc. or other steel wool with fewer 0s). Simple Green and 0000 steel wool will also do wonders on the outside of your porcelain hood and the porcelain control panel.

The white spots on the cast aluminum firebox and side pieces is where prolonged use has chalked up the paint finish. You will almost certainly want to clean them. The extreme is to use an angle grinder with a cup brush attached and bring it all back to bare aluminum. Then repaint the EXTERIOR of these parts only with a 900 degree rated black paint such as Krylon High Heat Max or Rustoleum's similar products.

How severe you want to get depends on what you are hoping for. That grill would look pretty decent just cleaned and the outside aluminum repainted. But you can also repaint the frame and replace worn out parts with new ones. Read up on the above link. I am sure others will also chime in.

Most of all, HAVE FUN fixing up and using your Weber grill. Restored properly it will give you way better service than some overseas made fake stainless piece of junk that will rust away in a year or two.

You got a great grill there. Check the area where the firebox connects to the frame for any rust and replace the bolt with a stainless one. I'd suggest replacing the cast iron grates with stainless steel ones for longevity and maintenance reasons. I'd also suggest stainless flavorizer bars also...good luck and have fun on the rehab!

Well, merry Christmas! Enjoy the new project piece, when you use the 0000 steel wool, go lightly on the control panel that’s silkscreened and can be damaged if you go too hard. Patience is your friend in all this. Take your time and be ready for many fine feasts from that rascal!

Yep you've got a pretty versatile grill there. At first glance the grates look serviceable. Once you have good flavo bars and have cleaned and scraped out the interior, verified good clean solid burners you can simply get those grates good and hot and give them a good brushing. Follow up with steam blasting them (while their hot use a wetted towel to wipe them down) the resulting steam will blast off anything left. Them while their hot wipe down with a rag soaked in cooking oil of some type.
Dave Santana (AKA RCPlanebuyer on EBay) is the go to guy for the absolute best parts available (grates and flavo bars) I recommend contacting him directly through his SFO Craiglist ads someone here can post those. You will pay a small premium but you will never need new parts again. Yeah...............they're that good.
As for everything else it depends if you want a driver or show car how far you take it

Very nice looking grill!

Like the others mentioned, just give it a good scrubbing and you should be good to go. Stainless steel is the way to go with the flavor bars and grates....Amazon has some good prices as well if you don't want to drop the $$$ for those nice ones from rcplanebuyer. If you search around Bruce and others have some good write-ups on the different brands. New igniter can be bought on Amazon too, those seem to go bad every few years. Don't forget to inspect all the gas lines and hoses for any rubbing/worn spots...pretty cheap to replace those and you don't want any gas leaks.

I still have my Genesis 1000LX (now a 2000) that I bought new in 1998, it's a great grill. Clean it up and take care of it that grill will last for a very long time.

Everyone is right on with their suggestions. That is a perfect candidate grill for rehabbing.

Pretty much presuming a good cleaning here is all I'll probably need, but love the idea of "restoring it" or painting the lid cover

Hi Isaac welcome to TVWBB. Your last few words mention you are considering "painting the lid cover" Because of the extreme heat generated under that lid, painting inside AND outside is a very, very bad and dangerous idea. It looks like your black lid has Weber's "dreaded fade." You can gently steel wool with Simple Green, then wipe it down with PAM spray, but sorry, that is only a temporary fix. My suggestion would be to hunt for a donor grill and get a BLUE head on that bad boy.

Happy New Year and Happy GRILLING!

Never ever use any paint on the inside of a grill. These paints are toxic and will release toxic fumes. Outside only. And as for the lids you can paint the outside of the cast aluminum side panels. For the lid itself I do not recommend painting it. The lid is porcelain enamel and paint will not stick very well. As Jon has described above use a razor scraper and 0000 fine steel wool to get the crusted dirt grease and soot off and you can get this lid shiny again. It is a bit of labor work but not too bad. I have done a few lids like that.
If you want a lid in another another color don't use paint. Keep your your eye out for donor grill with a colored lid. Weber made these lids with various porcelain colors. Black, Red, Blue, Green, Grey, Brown, Maroon, .... Occasionally you find one these. And as long it is a 3 burner grill the lids are interchangeable. I personally have a few different lids at home.

I agree with everyone above also.

It looks like the outside of that lid may be painted. It may be the picture quality, but to me it looks like the outside of the lid has been spray painted black.

If that is the case, you want to remove that paint and find out what color the lid was in the beginning. I believe Jon revealed a maroon lid one time that way.

The lid (inside and outside) is porcelain enameled, so on the inside it will be black, with a glassy feel, and on the outside, it will be either black or a color (red, blue, green, maroon are probably the most common) but more than the color, you are looking to restore the porcelain enameled finish. It is again, a glassy feel, once you remove whatever is on top of it, you will know it. If the outside of the lid is painted, remove the paint and have a look at what you've got.

We like pictures, and as you can see, we like to help.

Good luck!

Tim

Bruce, great example! Let's hope the original poster comes back with some more information.

Happy New Year!

Tim

Wow! I thought this was going to be a slow forum, I'm overwhelmed with the quick responses, and happy to be here!

Isaac,
Welcome to TVWBB!

A couple of quick notes: You can find tons of helpful information in these threads grouped under one "sticky" at the beginning of this section:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78...ad-Index-The-most-popular-threads-listed-here

What you are calling pealing paint on the inside of the hood is actually carbon scaling adhering to the porcelain inside that looks just like black paint pealing off. You can wash that all off with Simple Green, a razor scraper (use carefully, but works wonders) and with 0000 fine steel wool (not Brillo, etc. or other steel wool with fewer 0s). Simple Green and 0000 steel wool will also do wonders on the outside of your porcelain hood and the porcelain control panel.

The white spots on the cast aluminum firebox and side pieces is where prolonged use has chalked up the paint finish. You will almost certainly want to clean them. The extreme is to use an angle grinder with a cup brush attached and bring it all back to bare aluminum. Then repaint the EXTERIOR of these parts only with a 900 degree rated black paint such as Krylon High Heat Max or Rustoleum's similar products.

How severe you want to get depends on what you are hoping for. That grill would look pretty decent just cleaned and the outside aluminum repainted. But you can also repaint the frame and replace worn out parts with new ones. Read up on the above link. I am sure others will also chime in.

Most of all, HAVE FUN fixing up and using your Weber grill. Restored properly it will give you way better service than some overseas made fake stainless piece of junk that will rust away in a year or two.

That is good info, thanks! I was wondering what the carbon scaling was, I appreciate the advice on handling that. I took a glimpse through the stickies, it was a rabbit hole!

You got a great grill there. Check the area where the firebox connects to the frame for any rust and replace the bolt with a stainless one. I'd suggest replacing the cast iron grates with stainless steel ones for longevity and maintenance reasons. I'd also suggest stainless flavorizer bars also...good luck and have fun on the rehab!

No rust that I can see, think I got lucky there. I've ordered porcelain enamel coated flavorizers, but perhaps I should return them and go with stainless. As for the grates, I will most likely go that route as well in the future.

Well, merry Christmas! Enjoy the new project piece, when you use the 0000 steel wool, go lightly on the control panel that’s silkscreened and can be damaged if you go too hard. Patience is your friend in all this. Take your time and be ready for many fine feasts from that rascal!

Good thing I'm so patient (I'm not!) I'll make sure to go slow and careful, I have just moved into a new house, so the list of projects is very long. It's also been about 10 years or so since I've had a grill, so I'm excited to essentially grill everything!

Yep you've got a pretty versatile grill there. At first glance the grates look serviceable. Once you have good flavo bars and have cleaned and scraped out the interior, verified good clean solid burners you can simply get those grates good and hot and give them a good brushing. Follow up with steam blasting them (while their hot use a wetted towel to wipe them down) the resulting steam will blast off anything left. Them while their hot wipe down with a rag soaked in cooking oil of some type.
Dave Santana (AKA RCPlanebuyer on EBay) is the go to guy for the absolute best parts available (grates and flavo bars) I recommend contacting him directly through his SFO Craiglist ads someone here can post those. You will pay a small premium but you will never need new parts again. Yeah...............they're that good.
As for everything else it depends if you want a driver or show car how far you take it

I think they're serviceable as well, but probably will eventually swap them out. Good advice on the cleaning, thanks! I'm considering returning my flavorizers and going this route instead.

Very nice looking grill!

Like the others mentioned, just give it a good scrubbing and you should be good to go. Stainless steel is the way to go with the flavor bars and grates....Amazon has some good prices as well if you don't want to drop the $$$ for those nice ones from rcplanebuyer. If you search around Bruce and others have some good write-ups on the different brands. New igniter can be bought on Amazon too, those seem to go bad every few years. Don't forget to inspect all the gas lines and hoses for any rubbing/worn spots...pretty cheap to replace those and you don't want any gas leaks.

I went the amazon route to start with, I imagine I should probably take a look at the gas lines as well, good tip, thanks!

I still have my Genesis 1000LX (now a 2000) that I bought new in 1998, it's a great grill. Clean it up and take care of it that grill will last for a very long time.

I'm pretty sure this was our first family grill. My folks aren't great on the maintenance side of things, so beneficial to me who doesn't mind putting in a bit of sweat equity for free 99.

Everyone is right on with their suggestions. That is a perfect candidate grill for rehabbing.

Thanks! And Cheers!

Hi Isaac welcome to TVWBB. Your last few words mention you are considering "painting the lid cover" Because of the extreme heat generated under that lid, painting inside AND outside is a very, very bad and dangerous idea. It looks like your black lid has Weber's "dreaded fade." You can gently steel wool with Simple Green, then wipe it down with PAM spray, but sorry, that is only a temporary fix. My suggestion would be to hunt for a donor grill and get a BLUE head on that bad boy.

Happy New Year and Happy GRILLING!

Thanks for chiming in! It maybe looks faded because I had just wiped it down with a paper towel? I liked the jazzy look of the different colored lids, but I believe this lid is just fine.

Never ever use any paint on the inside of a grill. These paints are toxic and will release toxic fumes. Outside only. And as for the lids you can paint the outside of the cast aluminum side panels. For the lid itself I do not recommend painting it. The lid is porcelain enamel and paint will not stick very well. As Jon has described above use a razor scraper and 0000 fine steel wool to get the crusted dirt grease and soot off and you can get this lid shiny again. It is a bit of labor work but not too bad. I have done a few lids like that.
If you want a lid in another another color don't use paint. Keep your your eye out for donor grill with a colored lid. Weber made these lids with various porcelain colors. Black, Red, Blue, Green, Grey, Brown, Maroon, .... Occasionally you find one these. And as long it is a 3 burner grill the lids are interchangeable. I personally have a few different lids at home.

Roger that. The bars can be painted, but avoid the lid. As mentioned above, it was a thought, glad I ran it by. I think my lid is in fine shape, perhaps it's just the photos, but I'll update with some better ones when it's not dark!

I agree with everyone above also.

It looks like the outside of that lid may be painted. It may be the picture quality, but to me it looks like the outside of the lid has been spray painted black.

If that is the case, you want to remove that paint and find out what color the lid was in the beginning. I believe Jon revealed a maroon lid one time that way.

The lid (inside and outside) is porcelain enameled, so on the inside it will be black, with a glassy feel, and on the outside, it will be either black or a color (red, blue, green, maroon are probably the most common) but more than the color, you are looking to restore the porcelain enameled finish. It is again, a glassy feel, once you remove whatever is on top of it, you will know it. If the outside of the lid is painted, remove the paint and have a look at what you've got.

We like pictures, and as you can see, we like to help.

Good luck!

Tim
Thanks Tim. It's definitely not painted. The PO's on the grill were my parents, and my dad bought it new probably 20 years ago. They have probably gone through 2 grills since then, luckily they keep everything laying around! My current other hobby is brewing beer, I can't imagine a better pairing hobby than grills. I'm eager to drink some crispy beers and fire up some steaks!

Yep, like this one.

ROZ0jtn.jpg

*Drool*

Bruce, great example! Let's hope the original poster comes back with some more information.

Happy New Year!

Tim

Yah, this is the lid cleaned up:

hBhb333.jpg

*Heavier drooling*

I think some elbow grease and I'll have my boring plain black lid back to life, I'm going to keep my eyes out for other replacement lids though.

The guy I got that grill from, swore the grill was black but painted blue and it was really black paint peeling off. Hahaha.

So a couple of things. First, TVWBB keeps giving me a "Not Secure" warning, and I can no longer log in from my phone. It keeps saying that the certificate hasn't been renewed in the past 24 hours. Anybody know what that is about? I can bypass on my desktop browser.

Second. I've looked around on Ebay at RCPlaneBuyer, and found that the stainless flavorizers are the exact same as what my ceramic ones cost on Amazon, so I'm going to return them and grab his on Ebay. I'll have to wait a little bit longer, but hey, there's work to do in between!

Third: I've had a wild night at Home Depot. I've grabbed a new starter, fairly sure whats on the grill is shot, as there is 100% chance it's never been replaced. I've grabbed some 0000 Steel Wool, and 2 big Simple Green Grill Cleaner cans. What was forgotten was razor blades. I also got some Krylon High Heat paint for up to 1200 F.

Here are some closer pictures of the lid:
49285146672_74699a346f_k.jpg

I noticed some rust? Maybe? Chips? Whomever said something about the dreaded fade was absolutely right, it is fading a bit.
49285146662_ae275bd805_k.jpg

49285146637_0936ac8cdb_k.jpg

This is the lid taken off, and I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, the sides of the grill top can be painted on the outside... but the actual top and back of the lid can not.

49285146542_49747100eb_k.jpg

I went to start taking apart the nuts inside the lid, but I will certainly have to get new pieces to put it back together again, the factory nuts are very thin, and the bolts appear to be a part of the lid?
49285146602_3e69dd56fa_k.jpg

Fourth: how do I get this dang thermometer out?

The thermometer should just pull out. I've had a couple that required a little twisting with pliers. Remember, it's been in there for 20+ years.

The lid does not get paint. Only the sides, and only the outside. You can take the lid apart to make cleaning and painting easier. But it can be a chore. I have had sore thumbs from doing it. And other times the nuts come right off.

Same with the firebox. Only paint the outside.

Keep your receipt for the starter. I have feeling it's not the one you need.

I'll try to post pictures or links tomorrow of some of what you will encounter. Keep going down the rabbit hole in the old threads. Everything is covered, it's just a matter of finding it.

We are still working on a comprehensive thread for restoring so it can be more of a one stop information instead of digging through many threads.

On another note, I got the not secure message earlier also. Not sure why but it went away. Chris is working on moving the forum. Maybe that had something to do with the message but I'm not sure.

Back