Beer.

I can tell the difference between canned and bottle. People have even tried fooling me in a blind test and I still get it right. When bottlers can beer they treat it differently than in a bottle or keg. It give the beer an off putting flavor. Yeah cans crush up nicely but for me bottle recycle just as easily and whether poured in a glass or not it just tastes better outta the bottle.

Phil, My wife and youngest son were in Charlotte yesterday for the ACC championship game and said the place was crazy with all the bars celebrating St. Patrick’s day! Sounds like the shoulder is allowing you to get out and move around some, that’s GGEAT NEWS!!
Tim

It's progressing nicely! Going for my first doctors visit tomorrow. Hopefully get my stitches out and permission to drive! Haven't had a pain pill in almost a week, and haven't used ice water circulator in a couple days.
I keep forgetting to not use that arm! I'll pick something up, and transfer it to that hand. I usually put it down fairly quickly, but it's getting stronger!
Heck, I even grilled lunch and dinner today! No pics, but I did wings and a steak! WOOOOOO!

Sunday afternoon, nice Costa Rican Brown ale. La Selva.
40441957563_f6a600a4f8_c.jpg

Last edited:
I can tell the difference between canned and bottle. People have even tried fooling me in a blind test and I still get it right. When bottlers can beer they treat it differently than in a bottle or keg. It give the beer an off putting flavor. Yeah cans crush up nicely but for me bottle recycle just as easily and whether poured in a glass or not it just tastes better outta the bottle.

The best brewers are putting their best beers in cans. With modern day cans, there is no off flavors. I would say if you taste that, its your imagination.

Cans have changed. Brewers who are only concerned with flavor, have gone to cans.

IIRC, aluminum cans do have a varnish liner that's supposed to be tasteless. It's possible that Mr. Michaels is one of the few people who can taste it.

Big problem with glass is degradation due to light. Clear bottles are the worst, green bottles are better, brown is a little better yet, black/opaque would be the best.

As far as I know, there's no difference in process prior to the canning or bottling stations. Bigger brewers will run the beer through a fine filter. Carbonation, then fill and cap or fold the seam over. Wash the cans or bottles, maybe pasteurization, then labelling.

Bottling used to be really the only single serving container practical for the home brewer. There's a machine shop in the Milwaukee area that's producing a can sealer that's almost affordable for the home user. My local tap room has the automatic version and uses it for "crowlers" instead of bottling. Crowlers are 24oz (ish) aluminum cans, and they've had awfully good luck. They'll even make up crowlers on demand if the cooler doesn't have what the customer want.

IIRC, aluminum cans do have a varnish liner that's supposed to be tasteless. It's possible that Mr. Michaels is one of the few people who can taste it.

Big problem with glass is degradation due to light. Clear bottles are the worst, green bottles are better, brown is a little better yet, black/opaque would be the best.

As far as I know, there's no difference in process prior to the canning or bottling stations. Bigger brewers will run the beer through a fine filter. Carbonation, then fill and cap or fold the seam over. Wash the cans or bottles, maybe pasteurization, then labelling.

Bottling used to be really the only single serving container practical for the home brewer. There's a machine shop in the Milwaukee area that's producing a can sealer that's almost affordable for the home user. My local tap room has the automatic version and uses it for "crowlers" instead of bottling. Crowlers are 24oz (ish) aluminum cans, and they've had awfully good luck. They'll even make up crowlers on demand if the cooler doesn't have what the customer want.

Well, he's one of the very few people in the world who can do that .............. when Great Divide put Yeti in cans, then it was over for bottles.

And if you can buy Stone IPA in a can, then ya really know its over, because Stone cares bout nothin but flavor.

Well, he's one of the very few people in the world who can do that .............. when Great Divide put Yeti in cans, then it was over for bottles.

And if you can buy Stone IPA in a can, then ya really know its over, because Stone cares bout nothin but flavor.

Summit Brewing here in St. Paul runs both bottles and cans now, Surly I think may be cans only for single serving containers. Both breweries have pretty high standards.

could be the imagination but I was certain I could taste the can one time I bought an assorted 12 pack from the Bohemian. I didn't buy any of their stuff for years after that.

...I'm still dry (today will be day 28) but Stone was one of my favorite breweries for the last several years.

could be the imagination but I was certain I could taste the can one time I bought an assorted 12 pack from the Bohemian. I didn't buy any of their stuff for years after that.

...I'm still dry (today will be day 28) but Stone was one of my favorite breweries for the last several years.

Imagination ............. good luck findng any beer in a bottle in a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Summit Brewing here in St. Paul runs both bottles and cans now, Surly I think may be cans only for single serving containers. Both breweries have pretty high standards.

Yes, its silly not to go total cans ........its better for the beer ..........and better for the consumer.

Capped bottles can leak air. I've made the mistake of cellaring some really nice bourbon barrel aged stouts that were capped. They leaked air and soured. I will rarely cellar any more, unless the bottled beer is corked and caged. But even then, my home brewing friends and people at my fav brewery say don't bother, drink it ASAP. Beer is not wine.

And I'm probably wrong about not finding beer in bottles, I didn't think about the Belgian brewers or those like them, who are very concerned about maintaining tradition. I can't fathom a Belgian in a can, or even a Stella Artois in a can, though there might be such a thing.

Last edited:
Lynn, can seam sealers do have a similar issue if there's any mis-alignment between can & lid. Re: your bourbon barrel stout (yes, I'd shed a tear for those,) home brew or commercial? If home brew, what kind of crown capper? The small 2 handed models work, I've had much more consistent capping with a stand sealer (think arbor press.)

Clint, I'd suspect you may have gotten cans that weren't completely varnished, and you were tasting aluminum oxides.

When I made my own brew, used a two-handed capper (still have the equipment). NEVER had any issues using it. It was a snap ;)

The best brewers are putting their best beers in cans. With modern day cans, there is no off flavors. I would say if you taste that, its your imagination.

Cans have changed. Brewers who are only concerned with flavor, have gone to cans.

How can it be my imagination if I can tell the difference blind tasting? I am kinda weird that way.

Lynn, can seam sealers do have a similar issue if there's any mis-alignment between can & lid. Re: your bourbon barrel stout (yes, I'd shed a tear for those,) home brew or commercial? If home brew, what kind of crown capper? The small 2 handed models work, I've had much more consistent capping with a stand sealer (think arbor press.)

Clint, I'd suspect you may have gotten cans that weren't completely varnished, and you were tasting aluminum oxides.

Commercial, and two different brewers. One of them had rust under the cap. They were both four or five years old.

Commercial, and two different brewers. One of them had rust under the cap. They were both four or five years old.

If the crown is starting to rust, all bets are off. Iron oxide expands and the seal will break.

Len, I still have both my Black Betty 2 handled capper as well as the stand capper. If you're paying the least bit of attention, the two handled cappers do work just fine. The stand capper is much easier to get a consistent crown crimp, though.

My Dad never liked the taste of canned beer, but those were the old steel cans you opened with a churchkey, and always left a rusty ring on the bottom of the cooler.
I found this and thought it was interesting.http://breweriana.com/beer-can-appraisal/history-of-beer-cans.html

Tim

Yes, those were the good ole days :)

IDK exactly when the changeover occurred , but with today's cans the beer ( or soft drink ) is never suppose to come in contact with aluminum due to some kind of polymer lining.

I always had an aversion to soft drinks in can, so we always bought plastic 2 liter bottles. But I've not drank soft drink from a can in 20 years or more.

Back