Beer Simmered Brats on the OTS

Brandon Risko

TVWBB Member
My wife is out of town this week so I figured it would be a great evening to hang outside, drink some beer and grill some meat. I started off by sauteing some onion and garlic and adding in one beer and some dashes of hot sauce. I hated sacrificing a Sam Adams Alpine Spring, but it was all I had in the house and for a notable cause. Once I had a low simmer going, I added the brats for about 10 minutes. Next I transferred them to the OTS and seared them for 4-5 min on each side. I finished off by transferring the beer mixture to a pan, placing the brats inside and letting them simmer on the grill for another 10-15 min.

I them loosely wrapped some buns in foil and set them on top of the beer filled pan...this was a nice alternative to just grilling the buns and created a nice "beer steamed" effect. Topped the brats with the garlic/onion mixture and spicy mustard. Added some waffle fries spiced up w/ cajun seasoning as a side. Quick and easy meal w/ great flavors!

CameraZOOM-20120327175942419.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120327182057901.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120327183923761.jpg

That's some Fine Brats Brandon!

The Wisconsin Folks here get the REAL DEAL for brats. We here in the South are stuck with packaged/processed brats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
That's some Fine Brats Brandon!

The Wisconsin Folks here get the REAL DEAL for brats. We here in the South are stuck with packaged/processed brats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Mike and if you want real brats here you need either to do them yourself or pay a big price at the local butcher shop for their fresh ones. Great meal Brandon!

They look great. Gets me in the mood for some brats. I like to get a quick sear on them and then finish them in a pan with kraut, peppers, onions, and some beer. Love that steamed I beer taste. Spring is deffinetly here.

Mike

Looks like a solid meal Brandon! Would love to sit down with ya and have some beer and a few brats. Good times!

That looks pretty good there, Brandon.

We may have to make you an "honorary Wisconsinite" (Of course, that means that you would have to root for the REAL "big Red"...)
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We may have to make you an "honorary Wisconsinite" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>butt then, a <span class="ev_code_BLUE">true</span> Wisconsinite would NEVER put brats in beer...

Looks good Brandon. Makes me long for football season, a parking lot and tickets. (assuming beer and brats included)

Great idea. I normally get them started in beer as well but never put them back in for added time. I like it and they look really tasty. Thanks for sharing the pics and tips!

Thank god I am a true Minnesotan so I can use some beer with my brats.
icon_wink.gif
I seared some nice local meat market brats and then simmered in a bath of Schell's Pilsner (Awesome beer out of lovely New Ulm, Minnesota. Second oldest brewery in the country) with onion. Put the brat and the simmered onions on a nice local bakery roll with a spicey mustard and I was in heaven. It was so good I did it again three days later with my dad.

Back