Beer Can-less Chicken the WSM

Tyson

TVWBB Super Fan
I haven't posted a cook in a while and thought it was past due.

I smoked a chicken fryer (whole chicken) using a vertical roaster a few days ago in the 18.5 WSM with Kcomp. No beer can, since I wanted air to flow through the middle. I'm sure there is some science behind why the chicken or turkey always come out perfect when cooked vertically in the WSM. When the breast hit 165 the legs and thighs were 185, which is perfect for our tastes.

Dry salt brine it in the fridge for 3 hours. Rinsed and patted dry.

Took room temp unsalted butter and mixed with Penzeys Frozen Pizza seasoning. A great mixture of herbs. Rubbed under the skin. Made a cut near the top of the leg so I could get in there. Sorry no pics of these steps.

My new table. I keep my wood and rib rack in there. Everything is moved against the house because of a windstorm I thought was coming.

Getting up to 325 lid temp. Yes I need to clean the outside of the WSM that got dirty from a camping trip.

On the smoker, no water, only a pan for drippings (easy clean up). Maple wood for smoke. Only probing the breast to keep in eye on it from inside. No pit prob.

I moved the prob to the other side, since I didn't like where it was. It's done cooking in this shot.

The butter made it a little darker than I was expecting. First time using butter under the skin. About to wrap up and take inside to rest. Smelled great!

Cut up and and ready to plate. Saved some for lunch and dinner the next day. I took a few bites that didn't come off with the breast.

Boring plate pic. We were lazy with the sides. Frozen corn and can green beans. Skin softened up from resting. Shouldn't have covered all the way.

Her plate. She went back for more after I stopped her from stealing off my plate...

It turned out very good. Some of the best white meat I have had. Perfectly juicy without being overly wet. It can get too wet from brining too long, so I have learned. :wsm:

Last edited:
Very nicely done and presented.:)

I'm new at this smoking game, but can't wait to do a whole chicken... sure to impress the Lady.

That came out good Tyson. I think I'm going to smoke a turkey breast this weekend.

Love the color of the chicken.Looks delicious! Nice table is the bottom wood teak?

Last edited:
I have turkey stands that I use for my beer-canless cooks. I really enjoy the cook, it's much faster than cooking with the can in, and you get great BBQ flavor inside / out. Yours looks fantastic Tyson

Back