Beer Can Chickens

LukeB

Wanted to share some pics to say thanks for all the help and advice. These were for my family yesterday, my dad just returned from a long trip to Mexico and wanted to see his grandson.

Very simply prepared coated in my BBQ rub and sat on top some Busch cans with apple and hickory for smoke. They were great! Just need to work on the bite through skin, it was a little rubbery but still very good.

I love my side burner for starting fresh coals:
1007553.jpg

A prep folding table is on the list for Christmas but until then this is the thrown together set-up I use:
1007555.jpg

An hour in and ready for some fresh coals:
1007556n.jpg

A side shot of the birds:
1007558.jpg

About an hour and 20 minutes and ready for removal:
1007559.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Nice job Luke. Looks like you had a good day and gave your dad a nice homecoming meal in the process.

Why did you add more charcoal after an hour? Was the temperature dropping, or were you trying to crisp-en the skin?

For really crispy skin try coating with a light coating of Olive oil, or apply melted butter during the last 30-35 min. Indirect of coarse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael L:
Why did you add more charcoal after an hour? Was the temperature dropping, or were you trying to crisp-en the skin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My temps were starting to go below 325 so I just added 10 or 12 more coals and it went back up to 355 or 360.

I started with all lit coals no Minion Method. I don't like to do a Minion Method with Kingsford briquettes, the starting smoke has a bad flavor to me.

Thanks to all for the nice compliments. We had a great time with the family. My father, mother, brother and sister-in-law try to get together for dinner most Sundays but it is hard during the summer so this was a nice treat.

Back