Been Awhile Since I've Posted Anything

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Haven’t posted any cooks for a long time now.

My grills hibernate in the winter because I don’t cook in the cold.
With the temps warming up I decided to wake the performer out of its slumber and do some KFC chicken.

Used a yellow mustard coating for the glue. Panko and Weber’s Kickin Chicken was the coating.
KBB and two chunks of apple wood for the smoke.

Barb did up some seasoned zucchini on the grill after the chicken was done.
She also made some homemade slaw which was excellent.

Probably in the next couple of weeks they will start the charcoal ban again due to the severe drought we are in so I’ll try and get a few more cooks in before that kicks in.
Then it’s the gassers or the camp chef until mid October.

101_7291.JPG

101_7294.JPG

101_7295.JPG

101_7302.JPG

Hi Rich, hi Barb, looks real good. What a shame you don't have much time to charcoal grill. But to be honest, I sometimes like the taste of food better off of a gas grill. Shhhhh;)

Well, you haven't lost your touch at all, Rich (and Barb!) Chicken and zucchini both look perfect! Good to see you posting up some pics.

I'm planning out my birthday dinner.....you gonna cook, too? :)

R

Well, you haven't lost your touch at all, Rich (and Barb!) Chicken and zucchini both look perfect! Good to see you posting up some pics.

R
When?

R
Yep, Barb is hounding me to tell her what I want for my BD dinner. I've got a 12 pound pork butt in the freezer I've got to use soon so that's probably what I'll cook up on the pellet pooper.

Awesome cook Rich, I wanted to know how to do that, thanks! Is there a temp you shoot for with the chicken?
Jason, I fill my two charcoal baskets and that when fully lit gets a dome temp of 425-450. Because thigs are very forgiving I can get a nice crispy skin cooking them indirectly and they don't dry out at the higher temps. Breasts may be a different story, but I've never tried those.

Jason, I fill my two charcoal baskets and that when fully lit gets a dome temp of 425-450. Because thigs are very forgiving I can get a nice crispy skin cooking them indirectly and they don't dry out at the higher temps. Breasts may be a different story, but I've never tried those.
Thanks again!

Wings and thighs pulled from the freezer to make on Saturday after seeing you cook. Great to see an outdoor cook for you and Barb.

Back