Beef tenderloin

Hilmir Kolbeins

So last weekend I got myself a good beef tenderloin and followed the directions on the VirtualWeber site. It turned out perfect, it was so jucy and tender.

I used cherry and apple wood, cooked for 1 1/2 hour or so, finished on the WeberQ brushed with whisky glaze.

IMG_2170_zpsfc9960c4.jpg

IMG_2171_zps3ec45227.jpg

Also I need some minor help.

Next weekend I´m expecting few guys over and I want to cook chicken and spare rips in my WSM how would I go about cooking both so it would be ready at the same time.

That looks great Hilmir, you should be putting this on the photo gallery, as for the chicken and ribs, Im sure a WSM pro will answer that for you soon.

"chicken and spare rips" my guess is ribs. Spare or baby back or beef? Chicken is usually a heat cook but can be low and slow. Spare ribs are 4 to 6 hours. Baby backs 3-5 hours. Maybe spare ribs for a few hours and chicken on near the end?

The beef is so hypnotizing, the chicken and spare ribs question gets missed.

Beef tenderloin looks good!!'
I have done chicken and ribs on my WSM at the same time...this is what I did and maybe other members have a better idea...
My ribs usually take about 5 hours... So after 3 hours I added chicken to the lower rack after 1 hour and 30 min check my chickens temp. They usually finish at the same time. I cook at 225-250 so to get a crispy skin I use my top crate and put in on the bottom of the WSM and do a quick sear. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I was wondering after watching BBQ pitmasters. I noticed that they usually wrap the spare ribs, (pork) in aluminum foil and also adding like brownsugar, honey and dry rubs. My question is, how long do they keep them wrapped at the end of cooking.

Foiling spare ribs is one way to cook spares. You will get many opinions on whether it is necessary to foil ribs. Foiling is steaming the ribs to get them tender. Foil the too long, they get too soft. I don't foil my ribs and cook til tender. Remember KIS - keep it simple.

You will find people will foil for between 1-1 1/2 hours and then put them back on the fire to firm the up.

"chicken and spare rips" my guess is ribs. Spare or baby back or beef? Chicken is usually a heat cook but can be low and slow. Spare ribs are 4 to 6 hours. Baby backs 3-5 hours. Maybe spare ribs for a few hours and chicken on near the end?

The beef is so hypnotizing, the chicken and spare ribs question gets missed.

I encourage you to place the chicken on the bottom rack or to the side of the ribs especially if you add the chicken after your ribs have begun cooking. You don't want kryptonite chicken juice spoiling your ribs. BTW...your tenderloin looks delicious.

Hate to dig up an older thread, but I'm excited to find this and see the pics. I have a quarter of a cow being delivered in a week and we'll be getting beef tenderloin as one of our cuts. Have been hoping to make it and invite my family over, and saw the recipe referenced by OP, so I'm quite excited that he had success with it.

Great job on the tenderloin! That has become my favorite thing to do on the smoker/grill. I finally broke down and got a second wsm to make it easier to do ribs & chicken, or beef tenderloin & salmon, or other combinations.

Hilmer, the tenderloin is the best I have seen. What size is your WSM and what other cookers to you have?

Hate to dig up an older thread, but I'm excited to find this and see the pics. I have a quarter of a cow being delivered in a week and we'll be getting beef tenderloin as one of our cuts. Have been hoping to make it and invite my family over, and saw the recipe referenced by OP, so I'm quite excited that he had success with it.

Humm... just pulled out my info sheet, and it looks like by default they might be doing the tenderloin as steaks. Perhaps a call to the farm is in order for Monday, to see if it's not too late to request otherwise...

Back