Beef Sticks

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
This is the only reason I need the space that the EX6 gives me. I can't do 5 lbs. on the EX4. Since April, 2021 I have been working on making beef sticks with Collagen Casings. I did a lot of reading and, even on smokeboost, the EX6 wouldn't give me the low 100s temps that were recommended. I could have gotten an electric smoker but that's something else taking garage space. Instead, I came up with my EX6 Redneck electric smoker. I put a 1200 watt Proctor Silex hot plate and a smoke tube in the EX6 and partially plugged the exhaust vents with rags. Hey, it would have been a hit in Dixon, Mo. I turn the grill on but don't start it and I can monitor temp through the app. I have made a lot of 1 or 2 pound batches to work on finding my temps and working on the seasoning recipe. In October I finally arrived at the right recipe for me and the method that gives a product I like. Here's a pic of 5 lbs. taken after 6 hours in the electric EX6 and just before I pull the rags and start the grill with temp set to 200. It overshot by 100 degrees but I don't worry about temp getting too high because it backed off to about 240. I pull them when they look darker and wrinkled and my instant read hits 170° F. This cook took 8.5 hours total time12-11-22 Beef Sticks.jpg

I love the idea Lew!
I would have to have a sample from several batches to make full review, but, I would not fault the ingenuity of the method!

So the photo confuses me a little. I see the hot plate and some smoke, but nothing on the hotplate making the smoke.

Back