Beef short Ribs

Ernest

TVWBB Fan
Been messing with the WSM 14.5. My very first smoker.
Tried water in pan, foiled empty pan and I have settled with ceramic briquettes in the water pan.
Got some beef short ribs. My favorite BBQ meat.

Used pecan wood. I think I found my favorite Wood.
2 bottom dampers closed completely, third halfway open. Top vent fully open. Little WSM ran like a champ and between 220-235 for 5 hours.

Last edited:
I use a lot of pecan wood as well. Mostly because we had about 3 trees taken down in the lot next to my fire station, so I got an unlimited supply. Its kinda mild though so I add something else depend on what I'm cooking

Those short ribs look great man!

I use a lot of pecan wood as well. Mostly because we had about 3 trees taken down in the lot next to my fire station, so I got an unlimited supply. Its kinda mild though so I add something else depend on what I'm cooking

Those short ribs look great man!

Thank you Rick. It's my first time using Pecan. I prefer it over hickory.
Might try adding some apple Wood even I do some ribs.

Thank you Rick. It's my first time using Pecan. I prefer it over hickory.

X3 on Pecan. I recently switched to pecan for my bacon smokes....occasionally ill mix with apple but man is pecan smooth!

Nice looking beef ribs BTW....I may have to try those

X3 on Pecan. I recently switched to pecan for my bacon smokes....occasionally ill mix with apple but man is pecan smooth!

Nice looking beef ribs BTW....I may have to try those

Thank you Steve! Love these, especially when you don't have company to justify smoking a packer. You'll love them, make sure you get the meaty ones.

It's my first time using Pecan. I prefer it over hickory.

I like to use mesquite when I do St. Louis style ribs. It has a burnt smell when cooking but not on the food.

I think some of the pecan I have is really old and maybe dry cuz it almost seems too mild sometimes.

Those ribs look pretty dang tasty. I am jealous, I made some beef short ribs this weekend that were just OK. It was my first try using mesquite. I usually just use hickory with beef ribs, but maybe next time I'll try pecan. I know I like it on my poultry.

Well done & thanks for the inspiration.

Those ribs look pretty dang tasty. I am jealous, I made some beef short ribs this weekend that were just OK. It was my first try using mesquite. I usually just use hickory with beef ribs, but maybe next time I'll try pecan. I know I like it on my poultry.

Well done & thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you Brian.
Maybe try salting the short ribs a day or two ahead, sorta like dry brine. Then crack black pepper before cooking.

WOW those ribs look FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!! great job.
Pecan, cherry, apricot are my go to woods =)

Peter

Good lookin Q , brother. I like the idea of the ceramic briquettes in the water pan. The WSM is a great little smoker.

Back