Beef Plate Ribs

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
This is my 2nd go at Beef Ribs. First set turned out really nice, and I have to say that these did too. I could have used a bit more pepper on the meat but was really happy with the cook. I may have to try some hickory wood on my next beef cook to as the pecan I've been using has a really mild flavor. These were smoked on my 22" WSM at 225 for 6 hours before I turned it up to 275F. There was one spot on this rack that took much longer to become "probe tender vs the rest of the meat. I put a probe in that section and it was finally tender after about 8.5 hours. I let it rest in a 170F oven and then removed the bones and sliced. Overall was really happy with my results and style points, but honestly I think smoked chuck roast is as-good or better.

Here are the ribs with the salt and pepper treatment. The foil ball was placed under the ribs on the grill to prevent juice from pooling/messing up the bark. I dry-aged these ribs in the fridge for 3 days before prepping, this firmed up the fat cap quit a bit and I noticed what little fat cap I did trim was a lot easier to trim off. I may try to incorporate that dry-aging into future brisket cooks. The surfaces were all really dry, so I used some Lea and Perrins for binder. Salt and pepper was on there for about an hour before I loaded it onto the WSM

ribs before.jpg

Here we are on the WSM, about 2 hours into the cook. It took about 4 hours before the meat started to pull back from the bones. I had about a half gallon of hot water from my kitchen faucet in that foil pan to add a little moisture with the smoke and to help with bark formation.

ribs during.jpg

Here's what they looked like after about 7 hours

ribs almost done.jpg

Here's the "slice". I didn't get great pics here because me/my crew was getting hungry and anxious to watch the Chiefs vs Titans.... Texture was very fall apart (cut with fork). Bark was crispy but could have used a little more pepper....

ribs sliced.jpg

Looks awesome, I’ve only cooked them once and should have let them go longer. Looking forward to round 2.
I ran at 225F, for most of the cook, and ramped up to 275 for the last few hours. I would have liked a little more rest time before serving. I would recommend running a bit hotter from the start. I think you could target 250F or even 275F without sacrificing any flavor, and probably shave off an hour or so from the cook time.

Beef ribs are confusing... there are beef back ribs... these are thinner bones, and the rack will have some curvature to it, sorta like baby backs only on a different scale, and there's a lot less meat on them. The beef short ribs are sections cut from beef plate ribs..

Usually short ribs are easier to find vs the uncut plate ribs. I may try smoking some shorty-ribs sometime soon just to see how they turn out. I'm thinking they'll be kinda like burnt ends... but on a bone.. could be a beautiful thing. I'm sure someone else on the forum has tried it, but I haven't yet.

I’ve made short ribs once.
They turned out fine, very tasty and then I dropped the ball serving them
I served them bone in when I should have served them bone off.
I left the membrane on and should have at least cut that out before I served.
Darn membrane was thick/chewy and in the way of a good portion of the bites.

Those look tasty.
I feel like I turned to the pro tour on beef ribs and I love them more than most proteins on the bbq.
The juiciness on them is outstanding.....shiners are a different story.....still good, just not as much fat on top of the bone.

Those ribs look absolutely delicious. I haven’t done those in awhile. Inspiring me to do these again!

John these ribs look amazing, and I am sure we'll worth the wait. I have yet to try this cook but now I think it is high time to try it. I like your dry aging idea also, great job.

Back