Beef Eye of Round Question

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
How would you prepare this? I'm tempted to cook it on my kettle rotisserie but maybe I should cut it into steaks and blast it on the SmokeFire?

Any and all suggestions welcome

qhdKVDD.jpg

We use it for a lot of things.
Chopped up for beef recipes.
Meatballs..
But the best thing I ever made with it, (and possibly ever if you believe my family and friends), was beef jerky.

I do a simple straight-forward recipe.
Marinate cook hot then a bit less...

I use EOR for sliced roast beef and beef jerky.

It makes excellent jerky. Fat trim from jerky making is vac sealed and frozen for sausage making or ground with a whole chuck roll for burgers.

EOR is cooked on a 22” or 26” Weber kettle to IT of 125-130F.

Attachments

• A07F3329-834C-4480-B531-CEAD3D5E9710.jpeg
    A07F3329-834C-4480-B531-CEAD3D5E9710.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 20
I use EOR for sliced roast beef and beef jerky.

It makes excellent jerky. Fat trim from jerky making is vac sealed and frozen for sausage making or ground with a whole chuck roll for burgers.

EOR is cooked on a 22” or 26” Weber kettle to IT of 125-130F.
RJ,
That thin sliced roast beef looks amazing!

I just want to know how you found any cut of beef for under $5/lb. I don't think I could buy a hoof at that price these days. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Agree w/ the others on roast beef or jerky.

Known as silverside east of the pond.
As others have stated, grate for sliced roast beef sarnies, minute steaks & jerky.

Last edited:
I just want to know how you found any cut of beef for under $5/lb. I don't think I could buy a hoof at that price these days. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Agree w/ the others on roast beef or jerky.
That's the I bought it, it's hard to find hamburger for < $5, LOL

Thanks everyone, if anything I learned; it's not the best purchase I've made. I wish I had bought those Pork Belly strips Costco sells, this and that ground into hamburger probably would have been just the ticket.

Since we're expected to hit temps > 100 degrees this weekend, I don't think beef jerky is an option, although now I know why to buy when beef jerky is an option

I'm thinking of slicing it about 3/4" wide, trimming off the fat cap and any silver skin (if any) tenderizing it, throw so Montreal seasoning on it and hitting it at about 500 degrees on the SF. After all, what could be more fun that running a 400 degree BBQ when it's 100 degrees outside? :)

Not what you want to hear on this forum. but we use that cut for pot roast in the oven. After your main meal, you can have hot roast beef sandwiches.

Known as silverside east of the pond.
As others have stated, grate for sliced roast beef sarnies, minute steaks & jerky.
Thanks Tony!

Ingredients
  • 4 topside steaks, seasoned and dusted with flour
  • 300ml beef stock
  • 300ml of red wine
For the stuffing
  • 150g smoked bacon, finely diced
  • 150g minced pork
  • 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
  • 1garlic clove, peeled and crushed
  • 50g fresh breadcrumbs
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped sage
  • A good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For cooking the beef olives
  • 1 tbsp beef dripping (or olive oil)
  • 2 onions, peeled and sliced
  • 4–5 large carrots, peeled, or 2 handfuls of chantenay carrots
Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Shape into ‘sausages’ and place onto each steak. Roll up to make large hearty parcels and secure with wooden skewers or string to hold the stuffing in.

To cook, heat the dripping or oil in a cooking pot over a medium heat and brown off the beef olives. Once done, fry the onions, whole carrots until well coloured, then add the beef stock and wine. Cook gently, either on the hob or in the oven (preheated to 170°C/Gas mark 3), for 2½–3 hours until tender and giving. Serve hot, with creamy mash or just thick slices of bread and butter.

Tim,
If I were Chuck I think that is how I would do it, Rotisserie with a drip pan of beef stock under. Take it to 125 to 130, thin slice and make French dip sandwiches the first night and then I would turn the smoked stock into gravy for hot open faced sandwiches the next day!
That's starting to sound like a better plan than running a 500 degree BBQ on a 100 degree day

If it is really hot I think I am with those for the rotisserie since it will require less tending and watching in the hot sun. Looking forward to you posting your results. Good Luck!

I do that on the kettle rotisserie. Salt, pepper, garlic stuffed inside and coated with garlic paste. Add oak hunks (or favorite wood) and high heat smoke it to 125. Thank God I have a meat slicer!!!

Back